New Evo restarting itself

ChaosMarine03

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone I got my Evo just about a month ago and loved it. I had all the apps I wanted and all the screens set up how I wanted them to and it was blazing fast and awesome. The only issue was that the speaker was blown from day one. When talking on the phone there was this buzzing sound from it. So I took it to the Sprint store and they gave me two options: they can fix it in about 10 mins, or they can order me a new one and I'll lose everything. I chose to let them fix it because I was in a hurry and didn't want to lose all of my apps. Well the guy that took it apart damaged the outside when he pryed it apart with a screw driver and didn't tighten it up all the way. So now my brand new phone had damage to it and would squeak if you squeezed it. Also it had light leakage on the bottom seam from the factory as well. Well I didn't think that I should have to live with a damaged phone when I had just gotten it one week prior so I ordered a new one. The new one finally came last night and I was excited to activate it and get it going. So I backed up my app list to AppBrain, backed up Angry Birds progress to the sd card and was ready to go. Went online got the new Evo activated and was ready to roll. I popped in the old sd card and installed AppBrain so I could get all my apps back. Wrong. It over wrote my app list with the app list from my NEW Evo. Oh well no big deal I thought. I can just manually download them all. Tried restoring my Angry Birds progress. Nope - not installed it tells me. Now here is where the issue begins. Every 5-10 mins this Evo freezes, then restarts itself. My old one NEVER did that. I have tried checking for updates and I have done a hard reset (power+volume down, etc). No bueno. As of right now I have zero apps from the Market installed and the problem persists. I'm actually pretty pissed about it.The hardware of this Evo is perfect (no light leakage, kick stand has no wobble, no squeak when squeezed, etc) but the stupid thing won't stop resetting. It is also very laggy and sometimes sense will crash which sets off a chain reaction of everything crashing until touchinput crashes and resets the phone.Help me please!

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I would say the first thing to try is the old Factory data reset. That may help to wipe out whatever was causing the problem (if it was software related).

Settings > SD & phone storage > Factory data reset

**Warning, this will delete all of your phone's memory, including texts, phonebook, and emails**

It won't delete Gmails or touch your SD card, so you can backup your contacts to either.

ChaosMarine03

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I did that as well as a hard reset and had no luck. I'm downloading the new OTA update right now so we'll see if that has any effect on it. *sigh* I hate this. Thanks for the help though.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I did that as well as a hard reset and had no luck. I'm downloading the new OTA update right now so we'll see if that has any effect on it. *sigh* I hate this. Thanks for the help though.

Don't see any reason you are having reboots. Unless you have downloaded a rogue app, or something serious causing it. Best thing is replicate the problem on a video and post it on youtube or some site. Then maybe we could help out better. Cause most of this sounds like "user error".

Also another culprit can be the SD card on some occasion. Having a corrupted file or what not. Move everything you need off the card on your PC. Then format the card and move your stuff back. Remember only move what you need.. Not the whole card.

Also... Are you using a task killer by chance and killing everything?

Last edited:

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
This isn't all that uncommon. As far as I know, once the reboots start, it's pretty much impossible to stop it. I've tried everything possible from hard reset, reloading the rom, etc. Keeps resetting.

Sprint is at a loss too. There's a relatively length discussion thread on the problem inside their S&R forums.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My original EVO that I bought in June had to be replaced last week because of a reboot cycle.

It started when I was using Sprint Navigation on a business trip, the phone just went into a reboot cycle that rarely made it past the "4G" animation and I had to pull the battery. Then it started doing it more frequently when any 3g data was used (after 2 factory data resets), then after the OS was reloaded at a Sprint Store (I knew that software wouldn't fix a hardware problem, but let them anyway) it still had the problems, so the phone was replaced.

ChaosMarine03

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Don't see any reason you are having reboots. Unless you have downloaded a rogue app, or something serious causing it. Best thing is replicate the problem on a video and post it on youtube or some site. Then maybe we could help out better. Cause most of this sounds like "user error".

Also another culprit can be the SD card on some occasion. Having a corrupted file or what not. Move everything you need off the card on your PC. Then format the card and move your stuff back. Remember only move what you need.. Not the whole card.

Also... Are you using a task killer by chance and killing everything?

Not user error I know Android nearly inside and out as a end user with the exception of rooting which I haven't looked into yet. I'm pretty technologically minded so I am fairly certain I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary. What is a tell tale sign of a corrupted file? Should I just look for something out of place in my 3+gb of music I guess? I don't have a task killer installed so I know that isn't going rouge. In fact, after I did the factory reset I have yet to install ANY apps that weren't preloaded on my phone. Looks like I'll have to take it to the store on Friday when my brother goes to get his Evo. The OTA update did nothing.

I guess I'll try to record a video with my deactivated Evo but it's hard to catch when it will do a reset. Sometimes it will go through 20 mins of use fine, other times it will die if I try to bring up the app launcher.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
^^ Without a doubt you should have this phone brought in for a replacement.

Anytime a full erase don't fix a issue like that - the next step is a repair facility.

Best of luck

ChaosMarine03

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I guess that's what I'll have to do then. I'm thinking about just activating my old Evo that actually works until I make it to a repair center. It really sucks for Sprint because when I get it replaced it will be the third $500 phone that they are giving to me at a discounted price and it will be the third time I have activated a new phone in less than a month. All that stuff costs them money. My dad works for Sprint so I feel kind of guilty about it but at the same time I shouldn't have to deal with their flaws.

Thanks for the help.