Sync EVO Gmail Group Problem

APK

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I am new to EVO so...

When I got the EVO I loaded "People" using HTC Sync 3.0 with my Outlook. Then I started looking into Sync'ing with Gmail from the EVO.

I could not get the EVO to sync with Gmail. So I exported "People" to the SD card and then emailed them to my desktop computer. Logged onto Gmail and imported the "People" to Gmail "Contacts" in an effort to setup Gmail "Contacts" the same as the EVO "People" including the group names to help with sync'ing.

I found that Gmail has a group call "Coworkers" and the EVO has a group called "Co-workers". I can't rename or delete either group. So I can't get those groups to match for a sync'ing.

I am I missing something?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi APK-1, great username and welcome to AC.

If you have Google Voice, you can actually delete any custom made groups right from your desktop at voice.google.com, any group that wasn't created by Google can be deleted by highlighting the group name in the left pane and then selecting the delete group button the upper right of the page.

That being said, what you really need to do is get your on the phone contacts to be Google contacts, that's the only way they'll stay sync'd - you had the right idea, just one more step.

First I'd remove all the Google Contacts you have now from Google Contacts, then I'd do this:

Go to Contacts (on the Evo) and tell it to import from the SD Card, it will ask you if you want to import as a phone contact or as a Google contact, Choose Google.

From there you can login on your desktop and re-arrange people in whatever groups (even multiple) you'd like them and they'll stay sync'd from Google to your phone.

I am new to EVO so...

When I got the EVO I loaded "People" using HTC Sync 3.0 with my Outlook. Then I started looking into Sync'ing with Gmail from the EVO.

I could not get the EVO to sync with Gmail. So I exported "People" to the SD card and then emailed them to my desktop computer. Logged onto Gmail and imported the "People" to Gmail "Contacts" in an effort to setup Gmail "Contacts" the same as the EVO "People" including the group names to help with sync'ing.

I found that Gmail has a group call "Coworkers" and the EVO has a group called "Co-workers". I can't rename or delete either group. So I can't get those groups to match for a sync'ing.

I am I missing something?

APK

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
If am able to get the EVO to Sync with Gmail. What happens if I sync my EVO with Outlook again? Will duplicate my contacts on the EVO and I will be able to link the two together so they look as one?

Last edited:

APK

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
OK, I exported the phone "people" to the SD Card.
I imported the "people" from the SD Card to gmail.

It did not place my contacts in the groups on gmail that were on the EVO?
Any ideas?

On the EVO I went through and had to make the links contect on a few "people".

I have some "people" on the EVO with home addresse and/or work addresses listed twice or the home address as the work when the contact has no work address.
Any Ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae