Anti-virus? Also, can I remove the bloatware with out rooting?

burzlurker

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So I am new to Android and the Evo and am coming from a blackberry bold, security wasn't to much of an issue there. but in the market I noticed AVG for android. the thought hadnt even occurred to me that I might need this. Is this something that is recommended? do many evo users have anti virus software?

Also, I just got that update this morning and Im so not happy it installed more apps that I will never use on the phone. Is there any way to get rid of the blockbuster, kindle, other sprint bloat ware that is installed with out rooting the phone?

cheers :D

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. i think the vast majority of us agree that there is no need for antivirus software for Android at this time. that may change in the future - but for now - no need to worry about viruses IMO. if that changes - you will read about it here on this site first. of course - it is recommended to lock down your device and private data using security features.

2. the bloatware can't be removed unless you Root your device. Rooting has its pros and cons and i suggest you do a lot of reading before you consider it. i personally don't do it because i don't need the additional headaches and hassles relative to the nominal value it would provide me. so i just let it go.

3. read the battery tips thread to maximize your battery life.

enjoy your new EVO!

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Actually... the lookout antivirus is pretty cool. There was a article in the news about a guy who got car-jacked at gun point. her realized that his phone was still in his car so he activated his lookout security and it gave the location of his phone, which was in his car. Needless to say the cops found the guys car and phone.

You never know when a developer will develop a malicious app. The anti securities are good to have in this event. Same thing with emails... someone could embed something in an email also. but it's your call, i'd argue that there isn't a need for them

Here's the article

mage_slayer2

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Actually... the lookout antivirus is pretty cool. There was a article in the news about a guy who got car-jacked at gun point. her realized that his phone was still in his car so he activated his lookout security and it gave the location of his phone, which was in his car. Needless to say the cops found the guys car and phone.

You never know when a developer will develop a malicious app. The anti securities are good to have in this event. Same thing with emails... someone could embed something in an email also. but it's your call, i'd argue that there isn't a need for them

Here's the article

ther is no need for anti-vrius........ YET.

burzlurker

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the info guys. I will look in to Look Out and read up about the temp root. I had been researching android before I got my phone and wasn't sure I was ready to root for a while. Appreciate all the help!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JT1981