Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    jdub__'s Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

    Default Two Annoying Things After 3.70.651.1 Update

    First, that new game Nova, which we cannot uninstall, just starts running by itself. WHY THE HELL IS A GAME STARTING UP IN THE BACKGROUND??

    Secondly, this is more of an aesthetic annoyance but now you cannot disable the "4G!" notification in the top left part of the screen. Okay... so we are connected via 4g, who cares!? haha
  2. #2  
    woodiah's Avatar

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdub__ View Post
    Secondly, this is more of an aesthetic annoyance but now you cannot disable the "4G!" notification in the top left part of the screen. Okay... so we are connected via 4g, who cares!? haha
    Sorry but I like it, because if 4G is on after a reboot in a non 4g area I want to know so I can kill out.



    sent from EVO using Taptalk Pro
  3. #3  

    Default

    Two things.. It's been said a million times already... Just because you see something "running in the background" doesn't mean it's actually running. It's there basically dormant or cached but ready to go if you decide to play the game. And since it's already somewhat preloaded, it'll open much faster than if it wasn't. It's really not a big deal at all. It's not what you think. Secondly the 4G notification is actually something Im sure they did because of customer complaints of 4G left scanning when not in a 4G area and their battery falling off a cliff. It may be aesthetically annoying, but I guarantee you if it wasn't there and you forgot to turn your 4G off and your battery died within 2 hours from scanning, you'd be asking for some type of notification that 4G is on so if you werent in a 4G area you would remember to turn it off lol.. just as the many people that did in the past.
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    jdub__'s Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerzyiroc View Post
    Two things.. It's been said a million times already... Just because you see something "running in the background" doesn't mean it's actually running. It's there basically dormant or cached but ready to go if you decide to play the game. And since it's already somewhat preloaded, it'll open much faster than if it wasn't. It's really not a big deal at all. It's not what you think. Secondly the 4G notification is actually something Im sure they did because of customer complaints of 4G left scanning when not in a 4G area and their battery falling off a cliff. It may be aesthetically annoying, but I guarantee you if it wasn't there and you forgot to turn your 4G off and your battery died within 2 hours from scanning, you'd be asking for some type of notification that 4G is on so if you werent in a 4G area you would remember to turn it off lol.. just as the many people that did in the past.
    First, I am totally familiar with how Android keeps things loaded in the background. It is equivalent to the "prefetch" folder in Windows... which not too many people know is there.

    Secondly, I am not buying the line "Oh, in actuality it will actually drain more battery then if you just loaded it from scratch. That's why it is pre loaded... blah blah blah"

    If I want something running in background LET ME ASSIGN IT TO KEEP RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND.

    The Wall Street Journal did research on the TOP 100 apps for the IPhone and Andriod Market and they found that ALL MOST ALL of them were GATHERING MORE INFORMATION THAN THE USER KNOWS ABOUT and TRANSFERRING THAT INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTY COMPANIES FOR DATA MINING.

    So don't come on here thinking you that know everything, and that your assumptions on this topic are correct.

    Plain and Simple....WE NEED TO BE IN CONTROL OF OUR PHONES not the other way around.


    Jdub__
  5. #5  

    Default

    1. settings--->apps--->Nova--->clear data cache. after you do this - do not open up the app again. it should never show up as running again. (this assumes that like me you have no use for it.)

    2. the majority of us want a 4G indicator.

    3. there is a method behind the madness for the things that the Android OS does.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    jdub__'s Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. settings--->apps--->Nova--->clear data cache. after you do this - do not open up the app again. it should never show up as running again. (this assumes that like me you have no use for it.)

    2. the majority of us want a 4G indicator.

    3. there is a method behind the madness for the things that the Android OS does.
    Gekko -

    I have done that several times and it just keeps coming back up. And as this "method behind the madness" is concerned... It is just Google fishing for more information on people. Don't get me wrong... they have a great product BUT I believe they are taking advantage of their generous nature when it comes to their applications.
  7. #7  

    Default

    i'm not seeing a 4G indicator on the top left. i only see a small one that replaces the 3G icon in the top center. what am i missing?
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdub__ View Post
    Gekko -

    I have done that several times and it just keeps coming back up.
    hmmn. mine doesn't. but i also went into my SD card with Astro and deleted all related folders. not sure if that helps the issue. i'd try that along with another clear data cache and another power down and up.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdub__ View Post
    First, I am totally familiar with how Android keeps things loaded in the background. It is equivalent to the "prefetch" folder in Windows... which not too many people know is there.

    Secondly, I am not buying the line "Oh, in actuality it will actually drain more battery then if you just loaded it from scratch. That's why it is pre loaded... blah blah blah"

    If I want something running in background LET ME ASSIGN IT TO KEEP RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND.

    The Wall Street Journal did research on the TOP 100 apps for the IPhone and Andriod Market and they found that ALL MOST ALL of them were GATHERING MORE INFORMATION THAN THE USER KNOWS ABOUT and TRANSFERRING THAT INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTY COMPANIES FOR DATA MINING.

    So don't come on here thinking you that know everything, and that your assumptions on this topic are correct.

    Plain and Simple....WE NEED TO BE IN CONTROL OF OUR PHONES not the other way around.


    Jdub__
    Ok first of all if you know that Android keeps things loaded in the background, then what the hell is the point of even bringing up the fact that Nova is opened in the background as if it's some anomaly? Second of all, I never said "Oh, in actually it will actually drain more battery then if you just loaded it from scratch. That's why it is pre loaded... blah blah blah". What I said was "And since it's already somewhat preloaded, it'll open much faster than if it wasn't." So make sure you get your quotes straight... Third of all, I agree 100% that I would rather control what is running and not running in the background. Fourth of all, you're seriously trying to imply that the apps running in the background is some type of secret way for apps to data mine? Seriously? Fifth of all how hell did I even come close to acting like "I know everything"? You're kidding me right? What I said about the apps running in the background is a fact, not an assumption. And what I said about the 4G notification may not be a sure fact, considering the fact that I've had my Evo since 2 weeks after it was released and been on this forum every single day since, I think I'm pretty spot on about most people wanting a 4G notification based on the countless complaints about people's battery life sucking when it turned out they just left 4G on scanning... Oo ya and also the countless posts from people ASKING for some type of notification. So I think you seriously need to tone it down a lot.


    And yes.. "we need to be in control of our phone not the other way around"
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
  10. #10  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default

    FYI. If you dont like it, root your device and get rid of it if its killing you that bad.

    You could get rid of nova, all the bloat you want and if you knew how too, you could edit the 4G indicator off of there.

    Making a thread JUST to complain about stuff and not accept any answers is pretty petty.

    Oh, and after you remove the stuff thats running in the background and "killing your battery", take note of your new battery life. It wont be any better, but maybe the placebo will help you out.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  
    Brett's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,394 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

    Default

    Guys, please settle down. Everybody has their own opinions of what they like viewable and what they don't. Some people are very OCD with their devices (me being on of them) and want what they want open and nothing else. Either way, you all need to treat each other with respect.

    If you would like help from people, ask them nicely. I personally would not offer my assistance if somebody was being rude to me after I tried to help that person.

    Plus on top of that, if a select few of you guys do not change your attitude then one of us mods will take further action.
  12. #12  

    Default

    did the new update bring a NEW 4G indicator? if so - where is it and how do i see it?
  13. #13  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    did the new update bring a NEW 4G indicator? if so - where is it and how do i see it?
    Wish i could tell you. Ive only been able to use 4G one time while i was in LA *sigh*
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  14. #14  
    dzuchowski's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdub__ View Post

    The Wall Street Journal did research on the TOP 100 apps for the IPhone and Andriod Market and they found that ALL MOST ALL of them were GATHERING MORE INFORMATION THAN THE USER KNOWS ABOUT and TRANSFERRING THAT INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTY COMPANIES FOR DATA MINING.
    Jdub__

    I say that i have no issue with them collecting info. They can also use the camera for whatever they want to. Let them take pics of me in the shower with my evo.... Let them take a pic of me going to the bathroom.. that would give a whole new meaning to toilet cam! I say free apps are worth the data info it collects! Would you pay $50,000 for angry birds?
  15. #15  
    Brett's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,394 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dzuchowski View Post
    I say that i have no issue with them collecting info. They can also use the camera for whatever they want to. Let them take pics of me in the shower with my evo.... Let them take a pic of me going to the bathroom.. that would give a whole new meaning to toilet cam! I say free apps are worth the data info it collects! Would you pay $50,000 for angry birds?
    What if you are rooted and it collect your passwords to sites? Credit card numbers if you have ever paid a bill through your phone. Your contacts? I am sure that all of the people on our contact lists will love that.

    As long as the data that is being collects is only regarding that specific app and nothing personal is being transferred then it doesn't bother me. The problem is that there are devs who will create malicious apps that will attempt to take important data. Always download apps from a dev who has credibility. Even then you should still be cautious.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    jdub__'s Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    FYI. If you dont like it, root your device and get rid of it if its killing you that bad.

    You could get rid of nova, all the bloat you want and if you knew how too, you could edit the 4G indicator off of there.

    Making a thread JUST to complain about stuff and not accept any answers is pretty petty.

    Oh, and after you remove the stuff thats running in the background and "killing your battery", take note of your new battery life. It wont be any better, but maybe the placebo will help you out.
    "Making a thread JUST to complain about stuff and not accept any answers is pretty petty." <-- so what you are saying is just because someone puts any old response on a tread that I am supposed to just accept it as an answer??

    Sorry man... I only accept answers that make sense to me or that I am comfortable with, and what that guy wrote is not an acceptable answer. (in my opinion of course)
  17. #17  
    Brett's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,394 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

    Default

    Drop this argument now. If it continues one more time then THIS THREAD WILL BE CLOSED.

    Sent from my Droid Incredible because I'm too lazy to walk over to my computer.
  18. #18  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,755 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,932 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    You guys were warned once that if it continued the thread would be closed. That was the warning. I don't give second chances on things like this.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Posting Permissions

B