1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Scan Now Widget for 4G

OK I know its a silly widget, and I'll probably never use it, BUT where the freak is it?? It's not under "widgets", its not under "apps" (obviously if its a widget) I know I'm updated, because I have, the "Blockbuster", "Kindle", and "Nova" apps. Most importantly I have SWYPE!!! Just not seeing the 4G Widget. Anyone else?
    Motorola i920 --> Motorola Q9c --> HTC Mogul --> T-Mobile Wing --> Palm Pre --> HTC EVO 4G

and yet the list gets longer!

NOOKcolor

It's not really a widget. It shows up in the notification bar when you have 4g turned on, and thus can easily scan. I'm assuming it's so it doesn't have to continually scan and kill the battery.
    Thanked by:

@bujin Thanks, it didn't seem clear to me either what the "Scan now widget for 4G" was.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig007 View Post
    @bujin Thanks, it didn't seem clear to me either what the "Scan now widget for 4G" was.
    Happy to be of service - that's what the boards are here for.

The weird thing is, even with the new "scan now" thing it still must scan on its own because it will switch me back to 4g when I move back into a 4g area. Not sure what the point is!

Maybe the auto scan is much slower and only polls say, once an hour or who knows. The scan "widget" allows for a quick scan when you want to use it right now, and the auto scan hasn't gone off yet. I'm sure someone on the edge of 4g coverage could try this.

Quote Originally Posted by minsc View Post
    The weird thing is, even with the new "scan now" thing it still must scan on its own because it will switch me back to 4g when I move back into a 4g area. Not sure what the point is!
    I've seen that as well. I'm assuming that the change is to a periodic, rather than continual, search for 4G, with the widget in case we get impatient.

What the update did - (1) Place an icon on home screen to remind you that your 4g is on. (2) create an easier access to scan for 4g connection manually, even though the network does it automatically.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by bujin View Post
    It's not really a widget. It shows up in the notification bar when you have 4g turned on, and thus can easily scan. I'm assuming it's so it doesn't have to continually scan and kill the battery.
    Ah ha!

I also found if you go into you 4G settings you can scan from there....seems silly, oh well

Thumbs up

I live frustratingly close to 4G coverage (I get none in my house, but if I drive 5 minutes away, I get excellent reception) and it appears that the Scan Now widget is just a way to quickly check. If I leave 4G turned on, it will say that it doesn't have a network even when I drive into a 4G area, but if I hit the scan now widget, it will pick up the 4G network.

I like this new feature, it's better than having to turn 4G off then turn it back on. I wish my house had 4G.

-Nick

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jfultz14976 View Post
    OK I know its a silly widget, and I'll probably never use it, BUT where the freak is it?? It's not under "widgets", its not under "apps" (obviously if its a widget) I know I'm updated, because I have, the "Blockbuster", "Kindle", and "Nova" apps. Most importantly I have SWYPE!!! Just not seeing the 4G Widget. Anyone else?
    long pause on home screen
    widget
    settings
    4G

Quote Originally Posted by 72guy View Post
    long pause on home screen
    widget
    settings
    4G
    That is for a widget which turns 4G on and off, not one that scans for 4G. Although, if you turn 4G on, the widget appears in the notification bar.

-Nick

If i turn on 4G, and the 3G changes to 4G, but with no bars, does it mean i have connection, just a poor one? or none?

I can't say for sure but you probably have some signal. It's like how if you go from 3G to wifi you might connect but have almost no signal.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk