Swype vs. Default Keyboard?

Hayze

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Which do you guys prefer? I loved Swype when I first got it, but recently I've been seriously considering switching back to the default keyboard on the Evo. It feels different typing, and what I tell people who ask me about Swype is that you are no longer typing on your keyboard. Maybe I'm just someone who is slow to change, but I don't really like the move away from actually hitting the keys you want to hit to drawing out your words.

Plus, for the more minor quips about Swype, I'm not a fan of having to manually enter website names (since most aren't in the Swype keyboard, so whenever I go to a new website, I need to manually enter it.) The Swype keyboard is good for Swype, but for manually entering things it sucks, and I don't want to have to constantly switch between the swype keyboard and the default keyboard, I'd rather have one that works well for everything (which the default keyboard did.)

Plus, a very minor quip, my screen is getting a lot of smudge marks on it from Swype. I heavily text and email people, so I am always using Swype, and my screen always has smudge marks from where my fingers were swyping the keys. But now that my long semi-rant is over, which do you guys prefer, and most importantly, why do you like that one better?

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I completely understand your dilemma...swype of nice but as an everyday keyboard... It gets very annoying... I've grown find of the smart keyboard pro with the iphone skin...its pretty efficient

life is all about EVOlution

MrNolan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
A few things i've noticed. If you hold the backspace button on stock keyboard, it will erase the whole text in the text box. With Swype it will only erase each individual word progressively faster.

Another thing, the space button is to your bottom right instead of bottom middle.

Lastly, the auto correct feature seems to not work the same as stock keyboard. On stock I can type the word "thanks" by hitting every key that is next to the correct letter and it will correct my word and enter "thanks" instead of the mispelled word that I type. Swype does this too but only if you use the swype featue. Also, on stock, even if you hit all the wrong letters the keyboard will allow you to select the new word that you made and saves it for future use (in case it is a word that isn't saved in the system). This allows you to use slang and words that may be known to you and your friends but not the phone's built in word bank. Swype has yet to save a word for me, it just corrects whatever I type when I swype.

You can type regularly on swype but its most efficient when you swype on it.

One thing I like is that Swype has every symbol a computer has and then some. I do kinda like swyping also, its growing on me. I'll play around with it and give it a chance to win me over.

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Actually I don't really like either...I've been using the better keyboard keyboard app for a few months now and think I'll be stcking it for awhile to come...its just better for me all around

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
What I don't like about swype is that things don't start to fill in. With other keyboards as I type the beginning of certain words, I start to automatically get choices from the app (for like a dropdown or something). This is not the keyboard giving me choices but rather the app. With swype as I start to type I don't get that so I pretty much have to type the whole word.

Have you tried Graffiti? I'm still undecided about it. I think I am slower with it but at the same time make less mistakes.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't a huge fan of swipe keyboard... I love typing by pressing the keypad. I'll just wait to see how the gingerbread keyboard favors.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
doesnt sound like you guys have tried it for very long, once I got used to Swype I was/am hooked, I lost it back in August for a day and lemme tell you I was going through serious withdraw lol

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I keep trying Swype, stick with it for a few days or a week, and always revert back to stock. I just seem to have to think about my typing much more with Swype, while typing is very natural.

I'm using the Gingerbread keyboard at the moment, and like it quite a bit.

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
doesnt sound like you guys have tried it for very long, once I got used to Swype I was/am hooked, I lost it back in August for a day and lemme tell you I was going through serious withdraw lol

LOOOOOL :) guess we all have our OWN personal addictions.......but gotta to admit....if ya gonna be addicted to something....why not this?????

saywut

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
How do i get Swype to work on my EVO? i go to Menu--->settings --->Language & Keyboard--->Swype Settings?

But how do I switch between the two keyboards?

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
How do i get Swype to work on my EVO? i go to Menu--->settings --->Language & Keyboard--->Swype Settings?

But how do I switch between the two keyboards?

Go to any text field and press/hold. You'll get a choice of "input method" and can change to Swype. Easy peasy.

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just go back to those settings and any other keyboards that are installed should be accessible...mine shws swype, better keyboard, touch input

Rhoq

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I prefer Swype over the stock keyboard, but have been using SwiftKey as my keyboard of choice every since the first Beta was released months ago.

balansboy

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I love Swype. I go back and forth between Swype and Vlingo, depending on my surrounding. i know Swype and the stock keybourds have voice to text too, but nothing beat Vlingo for that. But, if i have to type, I much prefere Swype.

Hayze

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
If I have to type a text message or email it's amazing, but as far as using it for the internet and searching odd words, and using "text lingo" it's not the best, I'm still giving it a shot, but right now I'm leaning towards the default keyboard.

callderek#AC

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I tried swipe but went back to the regular, I'm a hunt and peck kind of guy. Not knowing exactly where the letters are is a pain. Plus with the predictive words its actually faster for me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781