Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    bboykin87's Avatar

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy 4.2

    Default SMS bug...

    I was just recently reading about the sms bug that sends sms messages to the wrong people. On my phone I have noticed that sometimes when in the "thread" list when I tap on a contact I want to message, once the thread opens up it will be for a totally different contact.

    And it won't be a contact right above or under, it'll be one halfway down the list, nowhere close to the one I selected. The only way I've caught this is the conversation didn't make sense, then I look and see it's the wrong contact. I've actually sent someone a text meant for someone else before because of this, thankfully it wasn't something private.

    Anyone else experience this? It doesn't happen all the time but often enough to keep me on my toes before I hit send.

    Rooted evo fresh 3.4.0.1

    Sent using Tapatalk Pro on my Evo
  2. #2  
    Smitty_82's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    1,596 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

    Default

    There is an article on the main site already (link) and a thread already started. I wouldn't worry too much.

    Edit: I missed that you have had this issue. I would try a 3rd party app (like handcent), should clear this up for you. Haven't heard of this happening with the 3rd party apps.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    bboykin87's Avatar

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy 4.2

    Default

    Yeah that's where I read about it, I looked but I couldn't find the thread, but yeah I've had this issue for the last couple months at least.

    Sent using Tapatalk Pro on my Evo
  4. #4  
    Smitty_82's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    1,596 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

    Default

    Here's the (link) for the other thread. Are you using the stock sms or 3rd party?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    bboykin87's Avatar

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy 4.2

    Default

    Stock

    Edit: after reading that thread and bug report it seems that bug is different from what I'm experiencing... I must be the only one, it only happens in sense tho... Not on AOSP roms like cyanogen

    Sent using Tapatalk Pro on my Evo
  6. #6  
    Smitty_82's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    1,596 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

    Default

    Give a 3rd party a try (handcent, go, or chomp), it would likely clear up the issue you are having. I've used handcent from almost day one on my DX and like it much better than any stock sms app I've used.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Another rave review for Handcent, I installed it and love it. Quit using the stock messaging app.
  8. #8  
    Dave Blake's Avatar

    Posts
    1,394 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

    Default

    Keep on mind that if you are using sense you are not using the stock android SMS app. No one using a stock EVO will experiance the bug that everyone is talking about on other forums. At least that is the way I understand it the problem is with stock android SMS only.

    Later,
    Dave
  9. #9  
    solo1's Avatar

    Posts
    713 Posts
    Global Posts
    714 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bboykin87 View Post
    Stock

    Edit: after reading that thread and bug report it seems that bug is different from what I'm experiencing... I must be the only one, it only happens in sense tho... Not on AOSP roms like cyanogen

    Sent using Tapatalk Pro on my Evo
    You are definately NOT the only one having had this happen .. Using my Stock EVO with ADW, I have been using handcent for about 5 months now and I have experienced this .. Even between the many updates with handcent .. It happens maybe 2 or 3 times a week ( I average 5000 texts a month ) I will go to press on a sms thread for person "A" and person "J"s sms thread would open .. And your right .. It wouldn't be the person above or below the initial person I wanted ( so not a user error ) .. In any case I have come to expect this from time to time so I am controlled in not texting so lightning quick .. Its hard to explain your way out of sending certain texts to the wrong people
    Last edited by solo1; 01-01-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Hit the THANKS in appreciation if I or anyone else has helped you in any way .. A Strong Android Community

    http://mydamnbrainhurts.wordpress.com/

    http://twitter.com/mydamnbrainhurt
  10. #10  
    BroncoTed's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

    Default

    I have had both these instances happen to me, selecting one person and another pops up, sending texts to wrong people.... on the sense messaging, not rooted.

    I sent a text to my office manager telling her how sore my chest was, a wonderful conversation followed that one
  11. #11  
    ffsteward's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

    Default

    I put Handcent on my phone today the only problem is now I get sms to my stock sms and to Handcent how do I make Hancent the default sms so the text only comes to it and not to stock sms.
  12. #12  
    solo1's Avatar

    Posts
    713 Posts
    Global Posts
    714 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffsteward View Post
    I put Handcent on my phone today the only problem is now I get sms to my stock sms and to Handcent how do I make Hancent the default sms so the text only comes to it and not to stock sms.
    You can make Handcent your default sms but you it will continue to go to your stock sms .. What I did was turn off all notifications to the stock sms and made Handcent my default sms .. I have had no problems going this route.
    Hit the THANKS in appreciation if I or anyone else has helped you in any way .. A Strong Android Community

    http://mydamnbrainhurts.wordpress.com/

    http://twitter.com/mydamnbrainhurt
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    bboykin87's Avatar

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy 4.2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
    You are definately NOT the only one having had this happen .. Using my Stock EVO with ADW, I have been using handcent for about 5 months now and I have experienced this .. Even between the many updates with handcent .. It happens maybe 2 or 3 times a week ( I average 5000 texts a month ) I will go to press on a sms thread for person "A" and person "J"s sms thread would open .. And your right .. It wouldn't be the person above or below the initial person I wanted ( so not a user error ) .. In any case I have come to expect this from time to time so I am controlled in not texting so lightning quick .. Its hard to explain your way out of sending certain texts to the wrong people
    At least now I know I'm not the only one having this issue, and since you are having this issue with handcent as well, it's not the sms app that's causing the problem... Wonder what is tho...

    I've tried handcent before and I didn't too much like it... That's the one with the word bubbles like the comics right?


    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  14. #14  

    Default

    i have never experienced this with the stock app or handcent
  15. #15  
    solo1's Avatar

    Posts
    713 Posts
    Global Posts
    714 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bboykin87 View Post
    At least now I know I'm not the only one having this issue, and since you are having this issue with handcent as well, it's not the sms app that's causing the problem... Wonder what is tho...

    I've tried handcent before and I didn't too much like it... That's the one with the word bubbles like the comics right?


    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

    Handcent is SO customizable that you can change just about everything in it .. There is a thread somewhere around here dedicated to handcent screen shots .. I tried gosms today and didn't see anything so different between handcent and gosms to make me want to stay with gosms.
    Hit the THANKS in appreciation if I or anyone else has helped you in any way .. A Strong Android Community

    http://mydamnbrainhurts.wordpress.com/

    http://twitter.com/mydamnbrainhurt
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bboykin87 View Post
    Stock

    Edit: after reading that thread and bug report it seems that bug is different from what I'm experiencing... I must be the only one, it only happens in sense tho... Not on AOSP roms like cyanogen

    Sent using Tapatalk Pro on my Evo
    You're not the only one. It happens to me all the time. If I tap on a text message (thread) when it opens it will be a totally different message (thread).

    I've noticed that when it does this, it almost always opens up the message (thread) that is on the bottom of the screen. So if I tap the top message in my list, when the conversation opens it will be whichever one was currently at the bottom of the screen (not the bottom of the list, but whatever one was at the bottom of the screen before I tapped the top one).

    I have been pretty good at catching it before I actually send a message, but my wife did accidentally text her boss once.

    This is with the stock messaging app on the Evo.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    bboykin87's Avatar

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy 4.2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big D5 View Post
    Keep on mind that if you are using sense you are not using the stock android SMS app. No one using a stock EVO will experiance the bug that everyone is talking about on other forums. At least that is the way I understand it the problem is with stock android SMS only.

    Later,
    Dave
    I meant stock as in for the evo... The stock sense sms app

    Plus this bug is different than that one and I am beginning to think it is only with sense as I have not experienced this on cyanogen which of course is an AOSP ROM


    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

B