How to get upgrade fees waived

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My mom and I both got Evo's in December from RadioShack, so we were charged two $18 upgrade fees. I heard it's supposedly really simple to waive the upgrade fee. So I called Sprint and asked to waive them, and they said no. So what should I do to get the fees waived?

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Try calling again and asking for Account Services. This is assuming the upgrade fees were charged by sprint, not radioshack.

You'll have to be a little silver tongued, and work a little bit of charm in there. Account services is the dept that has the authority to provide refunds and credits to your account with ease.

If you have a premier account, the primary phone is exempt from upgrade fees, this is part of being a premier customer. If you sense resistance from them, explain very nicely how you are loyal sprint customers..blah blah and work some magic.

Mark Turner

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
That's an activation fee, not an upgrade fee. Premier customers get a pass on those only when ordering online, not at a store, on the phone, or at a third party store like Radio Shack.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
That's an activation fee, not an upgrade fee. Premier customers get a pass on those only when ordering online, not at a store, on the phone, or at a third party store like Radio Shack.

Actually my premier customer line on our account has never been charged that fee no matter where I got my phone.

The other lines on my account have gotten charged it before and I have always just called up and explained that there is a charge on my account that shouldn't be there and could they help me out. It has always worked with the first CSR I have talked to.

Just be nice.... It goes a long way.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Just be nice

Actually my premier customer line on our account has never been charged that fee no matter where I got my phone.

The other lines on my account have gotten charged it before and I have always just called up and explained that there is a charge on my account that shouldn't be there and could they help me out. It has always worked with the first CSR I have talked to.

Just be nice.... It goes a long way.

It sure does. I have always had fees taken off no matter what carrier i am/was with. Being nice is the key.;)

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

Hmm I never get charged for fees when upgrading in a store. I am a Premier customer as well.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Dial *2 try them, it worked for he, but radio shack charged me wrongly for swapping out phones (i was in my first 30 days) they credited my account for the extra fees, and they were from about 2 - 3 months prior

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Flagatorfan

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
On Sprint. Call Customer Care. They will tell you no. Let the rep know that you would like to speak to the cancellation group. When they get on the line, do as the first poster said. Tell them that you are a long time customer and you continue to remain loyal to Sprint when options like the iPhone sit at their competitors. But say everything with kindness and sincerity. The cancellation group is not the one to pissoff. If they call your bluff, your hosed. Good luck. (BTW, I just got $34 in activation fees waived that way on Friday.)

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
On Sprint. Call Customer Care. They will tell you no. Let the rep know that you would like to speak to the cancellation group. When they get on the line, do as the first poster said. Tell them that you are a long time customer and you continue to remain loyal to Sprint when options like the iPhone sit at their competitors. But say everything with kindness and sincerity. The cancellation group is not the one to pissoff. If they call your bluff, your hosed. Good luck. (BTW, I just got $34 in activation fees waived that way on Friday.)

I wish I worked in one of these retentions departments. I'd be happy to call these kind of bluffs everytime.

"Have fun paying that higher bill with AT&T!!" /cancel account

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Lmao. I'll try that tomorrow...can't hurt if they call it a bluff.

seraphemz

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I always talk to the retention dept, and I get the fees waived. Do as the other poster said, tell them that you want to cancel, and they will give it to you.

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I called again, the rep was willing to get the fees waived but she didn't see any fees on my bill. So I guess the fees will be on my next bill...and try again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool