Speakerphone problem

jregan68

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Just received my EVO last week. Everything was working fine until yesterday. Now, every time I receive a phone call and answer the call, the phone goes to speakerphone and I have to press the speakerphone button to use the phone normally. My wife's EVO does the same thing. I have looked thru the settings but can't find a way to switch it back to normal. Any help would be appriciated.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've check the phone settings and I can't find anyway other way of enable/disable the speaker-phone, except on the home screen(by tapping the speaker phone button).

What I would suggest is to do a partial reset of the device(factory data reset). That should revert the phone back to its original settings.

Ps. This issue could be cause by an application you might have installed on the device. You could check to see if you have any app(s) that would be conflicting with your speaker phone operations(anything associated with speaker phone).

Good luck.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, next question. How do you do a partial factory reset?
Tap menu then settings... then SD & phone storage - then tap on Factory Data Reset.

Note: Before doing any reset of the device, make sure to save all your contacts to your Google account.
Tap on people, then Import/Export - then tap on Export to SD card. Once you've sign back into your Gmail account in set-up - all your contacts will automatically sync back to your phone.
You could sync your contacts manually as well. Follow the same steps to save contacts, only this time instead of pressing Export.. press Import from SD card.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

bmwguy330

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
do you have the phone pluged into a car charger when it does that? I had a problem like that and it was the charger messing up when id answer the phone. messed with it for about 3 weeks then found out the charger was causing it

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hold on don't do that yet just pull the battery or turn the phone off from the power menu by holding down the power button. I have had this happen to me and that fixed it. Sometimes the phone can get out of sequence sometimes this happened with my Bluetooth connected where I will try to answer the phone with the Bluetooth button the phone answered but the call is on the phone speaker not the Bluetooth. Doesn't happen often but when it does a power cycle will usually fix it.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Reactions: jregan68

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No, not plugged in. does both unplugged and plugged.
If remove/reinsert the battery doesn't fix the issue then I would suggest reverting the phone back to factory settings. I have done this on two occasions due to unknown issues.

jregan68

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Just an update. It stopped the speakerphone problem for a little while but returned. I deleted all apps in the order I installed them but no joy. Ended up having to do a reset. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
John

eze036

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
as if you use headphones be careful with the headphone jack...cuz my evo got shorted out and every call went to speaker and my earpiece got shorted out

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Do you use Qik? When I use Qik, speakerphone is then on when I make my next call. I need to turn speakerphone on and then off.

jregan68

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Problem is back again. I think that I figured out the culprit. I was listening to some music using a double ended cord and winamp. Before today, no speaker phone problem. Anyone have any problems with winamp?

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
evo speakerphone defaults to on while sending and receiving calls

I had this same issue.. battery cycling wouldnt fix.. didn't try hard reset as i noticed from reading most other people didnt have any luck with this. Finally i got it fixed after turning the power off, taking out the battery, removing the sd card, putting the battery back in, turning the phone back on.. at that point it stopped defaulting to speakerphone. So i turned it back off put the sd card back in and turned it back on and it still is working and not defaulting to speakerphone. Also something else i noticed that could potentially cause the issue is a dirty micro usb slot on your phone.. try cleaning that also.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Nothing suggested here has helped fix this issue for me. It's really pissing me off, too, because every, and I mean EVERY incoming call I get results in the speaker phone switching on. I have to say hello, tell my party to hold a second while I pull the phone away from my ear, then press speaker phone to turn it off, THEN begin my phone conversation!

God! I hate this!

xaviernj

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem with my HTC Mytouch 4G Slide. I noticed everything was fine until I started using headphones and all calls incoming/outgoing were defaulted to answer/make on speakerphone. Now, I don't know how to stop it!!! Please help!

justizzlegizzle

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Alright. I think I figured this out. But before I begin, I want you to know I'm running 2.3.4 on a MyTouch 4G/Glacier.

I went to Settings > Sound > (Make sure your ringer volume is up) and turn off Flip for Speaker under Incoming Calls. That fixed it for me.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
That was one of the first things I did; it didn't make one bit of a difference.

The problem seems to be permanent and irreparable.

hearture36

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I would let you know that I had this problem with my Evo, it would also boot up into the car dock mode every time. The problem is the USB/charging port on the bottom of the phone, I didn't believe it would cause these problems but somehow the connections get crossed and the phone thinks it is in a car dock. Luckily I pay for insurance and Sprint gave me another Evo for free and problem solved. I am back in love with my Evo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20