Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 2.2

Question Speakerphone problem

Just received my EVO last week. Everything was working fine until yesterday. Now, every time I receive a phone call and answer the call, the phone goes to speakerphone and I have to press the speakerphone button to use the phone normally. My wife's EVO does the same thing. I have looked thru the settings but can't find a way to switch it back to normal. Any help would be appriciated.

I've check the phone settings and I can't find anyway other way of enable/disable the speaker-phone, except on the home screen(by tapping the speaker phone button).

What I would suggest is to do a partial reset of the device(factory data reset). That should revert the phone back to its original settings.

Ps. This issue could be cause by an application you might have installed on the device. You could check to see if you have any app(s) that would be conflicting with your speaker phone operations(anything associated with speaker phone).

Good luck.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 2.2

Ok, next question. How do you do a partial factory reset?

Quote Originally Posted by jregan68 View Post
    Ok, next question. How do you do a partial factory reset?
    Tap menu then settings... then SD & phone storage - then tap on Factory Data Reset.

Note: Before doing any reset of the device, make sure to save all your contacts to your Google account.
    Tap on people, then Import/Export - then tap on Export to SD card. Once you've sign back into your Gmail account in set-up - all your contacts will automatically sync back to your phone.
    You could sync your contacts manually as well. Follow the same steps to save contacts, only this time instead of pressing Export.. press Import from SD card.

Best of luck.

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

do you have the phone pluged into a car charger when it does that? I had a problem like that and it was the charger messing up when id answer the phone. messed with it for about 3 weeks then found out the charger was causing it

Global Posts
    7,159 Global Posts
    Carrier
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

Hold on don't do that yet just pull the battery or turn the phone off from the power menu by holding down the power button. I have had this happen to me and that fixed it. Sometimes the phone can get out of sequence sometimes this happened with my Bluetooth connected where I will try to answer the phone with the Bluetooth button the phone answered but the call is on the phone speaker not the Bluetooth. Doesn't happen often but when it does a power cycle will usually fix it.

Hope that helps,
    Dave
    jregan68 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 2.2

No, not plugged in. does both unplugged and plugged.

Quote Originally Posted by jregan68 View Post
    No, not plugged in. does both unplugged and plugged.
    If remove/reinsert the battery doesn't fix the issue then I would suggest reverting the phone back to factory settings. I have done this on two occasions due to unknown issues.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 2.2

Dave, Thanks. That seems to have cured it for now. If is happens, I will do a factory reset.
    John
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 2.2

Just an update. It stopped the speakerphone problem for a little while but returned. I deleted all apps in the order I installed them but no joy. Ended up having to do a reset. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    John

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

I'm having this same problem with my Droid X... Very annoying.

Carrier
    ICS

as if you use headphones be careful with the headphone jack...cuz my evo got shorted out and every call went to speaker and my earpiece got shorted out

Do you use Qik? When I use Qik, speakerphone is then on when I make my next call. I need to turn speakerphone on and then off.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 2.2

Problem is back again. I think that I figured out the culprit. I was listening to some music using a double ended cord and winamp. Before today, no speaker phone problem. Anyone have any problems with winamp?

Default evo speakerphone defaults to on while sending and receiving calls

I had this same issue.. battery cycling wouldnt fix.. didn't try hard reset as i noticed from reading most other people didnt have any luck with this. Finally i got it fixed after turning the power off, taking out the battery, removing the sd card, putting the battery back in, turning the phone back on.. at that point it stopped defaulting to speakerphone. So i turned it back off put the sd card back in and turned it back on and it still is working and not defaulting to speakerphone. Also something else i noticed that could potentially cause the issue is a dirty micro usb slot on your phone.. try cleaning that also.

Nothing suggested here has helped fix this issue for me. It's really pissing me off, too, because every, and I mean EVERY incoming call I get results in the speaker phone switching on. I have to say hello, tell my party to hold a second while I pull the phone away from my ear, then press speaker phone to turn it off, THEN begin my phone conversation!

God! I hate this!

Default Re: Speakerphone problem

I have the same problem with my HTC Mytouch 4G Slide. I noticed everything was fine until I started using headphones and all calls incoming/outgoing were defaulted to answer/make on speakerphone. Now, I don't know how to stop it!!! Please help!

Alright. I think I figured this out. But before I begin, I want you to know I'm running 2.3.4 on a MyTouch 4G/Glacier.

I went to Settings > Sound > (Make sure your ringer volume is up) and turn off Flip for Speaker under Incoming Calls. That fixed it for me.

That was one of the first things I did; it didn't make one bit of a difference.

The problem seems to be permanent and irreparable.

Just thought I would let you know that I had this problem with my Evo, it would also boot up into the car dock mode every time. The problem is the USB/charging port on the bottom of the phone, I didn't believe it would cause these problems but somehow the connections get crossed and the phone thinks it is in a car dock. Luckily I pay for insurance and Sprint gave me another Evo for free and problem solved. I am back in love with my Evo.

Being a former electronics tech at an R&D level and currently a Software Eng... these type of 'problems' are fun to fix as long as it is not your own phone. Well, it happened to me. If I dialed out or received a call the phone would automatically flip to speaker. Reading through the solutions/temp fixes, I saw a pattern that was common:

1. a software setting needed to be changed
    2. a software glitch (pull the battery will fix this one)
    3. a shorted car connection or usb connection
    4. intermittent results

So how many Software Engineers does it take to change a light bulb? (the answer is at the end of this post)

Looking for the software setting is logical and a solid first step. Pulling the battery is the next best step. At this point... the rest is most likely a hardware issue. In my case, (and I suspect in almost all remaining cases) the issue is actually fuzz and lint getting into that micro usb hole in your phone. This lint (pocket lint, purse lint) will actually short out the usb connections enough to make the phone think that it should run in car mode. Thus the speaker automatically turns on.

WARNING: Doing this next step could damage your usb port and ruin your phone.

The reason the problem appears to be intermittent is because you have to charge your phone everyday... connecting it to the charger will reposition the lint. Solution: take a small toothpick and carefully (with out breaking the tooth pick) extract the lint from the usb connection. the hole is pretty small and extreme caution should be used to clean it out. NEVER use any metal tool to clean out the lint because it most likely damage the connection. I use the tooth pick technique and my phone has been working fine since then. Instead of a toothpick, you could use the edge of a paper card or some other stiff paper. Be gentle and do not get your toothpick or paper fragments stuck in the usb port or you may cause more problems.

So how many Software Engineers does it take to change a light bulb? None, it is a hardware problem.

Carrier
    Fresh EVO 2.6.32.17

I found the solution, FINALLY! Very simple- Uncheck "Root Explorer" option in ES File Explorer settings. Yep, it's that easy.

Edit- If you're not running ES File Explorer, then some other app has superuser privileges, and your droid no likey. Find out which one and adjust accordingly. I just gave root privileges back to ES File Explorer and brought the issue right back. Whatever the case, don't go resetting your phone, reflashing, etc. It won't fix the problem. It is definitely app related.

HTC Evo 4G

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. Many people, myself included, are not running ES File Explorer and therefore can't uncheck the aforementioned option.

Carrier
    Fresh EVO 2.6.32.17

Definitely app related, and probably SU permission related concerning the offending app (ES File Explorer, in my case). I can repro and eliminate this issue at will now. There's not a doubt in my mind. I'm a software test tech- I do this stuff for a living. Go through your apps, find the one that's causing the problem, and reboot. Go one by one- check settings, make a change, reboot. Process of elimination. Somewhere on your droid, an app has too much privilege....

There's not enough time in the rest of this year to go through over a hundred apps one at a time. My fix works much faster--I simply turned on bluetooth. Once that's on, the speaker phone won't tun on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast