Anyone know when the EVO will be upgraded to Gingerbread?

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey I haven't seen anything saying anytime soon that the evo will get any update but there are custom roms that are pretty darn close and stable with most of the features some not all are great but its close enough and the benefits are great we could sync are apps if you sign up with gmail and sync your can get the new music player its a little more stylish looking and you can get your music from your PC by p2sharing something like that right now the API isn't able to work very good but it work but not all of the new feature tons more just Google honeycomb review and if you look for a rom to flash if your rooted then look for the change logs on all the goodies that work and what dosnt

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't even get HTC to confirm the date to me. When we are going to get gingerbread is anyone's guest.

Tonay

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I got a question do use the gingerbread rom do i need to have a rooted phone or can i just get the rom without a rooted phone?

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Fudge!!! I want gingerbread but i dont know if i want to root my phone :/

Just use unevoked. It's basically a one-step process. I'm a complete newb (or whatever it's called) and i did it on my phone and my mom's.

The dangerous part is flashing roms that's where things can go wrong. I haven't done it before yet for that reason. But i think as long as you just do a backup you're covered in case you brick your phone, you're alright.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just use unevoked. It's basically a one-step process. I'm a complete newb (or whatever it's called) and i did it on my phone and my mom's.

The dangerous part is flashing roms that's where things can go wrong. I haven't done it before yet for that reason. But i think as long as you just do a backup you're covered in case you brick your phone, you're alright.

What so dangerous about flashing ROM's? Nandroid a backup of your freshly rooted phone and then flash away... I was a complete Newbie when I rooted (and I didn't use unrevoked... I did it the long/hard was via the sticky and the two part Youtube Video)

Flashing was as easy as pie.... Once I flashed a bad ROM (the phone got stuck in a bootloop) but just pull the battery, power and volume down open into recovery and reflashed once the back up was done....

I am in no way an expert at it though... I have a friend who REALLY wants his EVO rooted and has asked me to do it and I just sent him the sticky and you tube video's.... Just because I did it right on my first attempt does not mean I would do it right the second time.. :)

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
As I recall, even with the Froyo update, no release date was ever announced prior to release (aside from the leak that was about three days earlier than the actual release). All we heard was that they were working on it, and it might take time, and then suddenly, BOOM--here's the update.

VizardIchigo

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
As long as you have a recovery its not as dangerous as mentioned, I flash about 2 to 5 times a day and have had NO issues since I first had a G1, Hero, and now Evo. What you want to do if your rooted is do a nand backup, wipe (make sure to have custom rom zip in sdcard) and flash the custom rom you want. If you don't like it you wipe flash another, if you end up not finding one that suits you restore your backup.

Now lets say you rooted and wiped your data before backing up..... well its still not dangerous even if you don't have a rom installed, as long as you have recovery image then you have no worries, just understand what each option in recovery does... hope this helps.

Sent from my CyanogenMod 7 (GingerBread) HTC Evo 4G using TapaTalk (Twitter----> Viz_Ichigo)

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
What so dangerous about flashing ROM's? Nandroid a backup of your freshly rooted phone and then flash away... I was a complete Newbie when I rooted (and I didn't use unrevoked... I did it the long/hard was via the sticky and the two part Youtube Video)

I just say it's dangerous because I've seen several people with Evo's that won't even turn on after flashing a ROM. So even if you have a backup, you can't even apply it. But that might be rare...

Not to take the attention away from the topic, but I did a backup from Recovery, and I got 8 different files, did I do it right?

Last edited:

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I called sprint to fix my streaming for Sirius app tonight ,guy on phone out of the blue said" you are getting an update very soon". For what it's worth.

Evo-lution

Snipperdo17

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

one step root? how do i do that? lol i was also looking at the directions and youtube videos if there is an easier way i would feel a lot better about doing it.

Last edited:

VizardIchigo

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
What recovery are you using? Also, where do you notice you have 8 files, is it in recovery or through a file explorer app that you notice this?

I just say it's dangerous because I've seen several people with Evo's that won't even turn on after flashing a ROM. So even if you have a backup, you can't even apply it. But that might be rare...

Not to take the attention away from the topic, but I did a backup from Recovery, and I got 8 different files, did I do it right?

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using TapaTalk (Twitter----> Viz_Ichigo)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae