Sprint Store 4g, $10 Charage and all.... What store reps said

caleb02

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I walked into the Sprint store at:
10745 E. Washington St. Unit C
Indianapolis, IN
(317) 890-4444

I asked a few questions about when 4g will be here as I am tried of paying the $10 fee and not being able to use it.... The store said that the fee is not for 4g but for the PROCESSOR in the device. I informed the Reps that the $10 fee is for the 4g data and not the Processor. The Sales Reps said they worked for Sprint a long time and now all about the fees and that it is for the Processor.

Now I do remember that Sprint said they may at somepoint apply the fee to other devices that are non 4g (aka Premium devices or Smart phones i guess). So does this mean that any smartphone Windows Mobile/Windows Phone 7/RIM/Android regardless if they have 4g.

Well I told the sales reps they were wrong as when the $10 fee came out it was because of the 4g speeds.

Also it is interesting that Sprint is suing Clear over the $10 fee since Sprint does not want to pay Clear the $10 fee in areas that do not have 4g. Ofcouse if Sprint wins against Clear I bet Sprint will still collect the $10 fee or what ever new name it comes out as....

PS...
Android outsells Apple i-phone... Well the iphone has a screen way to small for me... i love my 4.3" evo screen!

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

buggyman

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it was ever said it was for 4g either. Wasn't it said that the extra fee was for an enriched online experience? Or something like that. Also the fee was suggesting with these phones (evo, epic) that more people would spend more time online thus using more data. Even with the extra $10 the plans are way cheaper then Verizon. I just yesterday priced 3 lines with the same services I have with Sprint (2 lines have evo, thus an extra $20 a month). Verizon would be $50 more a month.

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I live in a 4g area and do NOT use it. 3g is more reliable and doesn't drain the battery. 4G works when it wants to. Some days it will work in my home some days nothings. Some times it will work hour to hour. 4G sucks I get a speed of 2.5 Mb and 3g I avg 2.0 Mb.

As far as 10.00 fee is for the Processor their full of Sh@t. If you go to 10 Sprint corporate stores you will get 5 or so different answers.

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The truth is Sprint really messed up with the explanation of the $10 charge. I didn't really mind cos I wanted the Evo and they were still cheaper than Verizon/ATT on a similar plan. That difference is much less now that i have the epic also on my account.
The problem going forward is that phone specs are moving so fast that it will be impossible to continue to use that same argument they used for the evo. How do you explain to the average customer that the evo shift costs 10 extra but the samsung transform does not. They need to change it to only apply to 4g areas or they will always have the problem of trying to explain what make a phone a "4G" phone with every release

MissShayona

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Just FYI, the 10$ is a PREMIUM DATA FEE. If you don't know what premium data is, take your Epic, EVO or Evo Shift against the Optimus, Intercept or even the Transform and load the browser. See which one is faster, crisper and better? Thats what you're paying for. If you don't like it, don't get the phone! Simple :p

dark_dj27

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Just FYI, the 10$ is a PREMIUM DATA FEE. If you don't know what premium data is, take your Epic, EVO or Evo Shift against the Optimus, Intercept or even the Transform and load the browser. See which one is faster, crisper and better? Thats what you're paying for. If you don't like it, don't get the phone! Simple :p

Location can effect the browser speed a lot. At times my girlfriends Hero has loaded pages faster than my Evo. It's more for truly unlimited data according to sprint.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

MissShayona

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Location can effect the browser speed a lot. At times my girlfriends Hero has loaded pages faster than my Evo. It's more for truly unlimited data according to sprint.

Well yes, that too, lol.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk.

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site

"premium data" fee. You do understand the rate at which phone specs are being updated right? If you followed ces, we are already seeing 1.2ghz and dual core phones this year with 1.5ghz probably coming next year. Do you think the transforms of this world won't get updated this year or the next?

The problem with that term is you have to explain it for every phone you release. Why not make it simple for your customers. Is it processor speed, ffc, 4g? What does premium data really mean especially to someone in a non 4g area.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
"premium data" fee. You do understand the rate at which phone specs are being updated right? If you followed ces, we are already seeing 1.2ghz and dual core phones this year with 1.5ghz probably coming next year. Do you think the transforms of this world won't get updated this year or the next?

The problem with that term is you have to explain it for every phone you release. Why not make it simple for your customers. Is it processor speed, ffc, 4g? What does premium data really mean especially to someone in a non 4g area.

It means truely unlimited data. So premium data = truely unlimited data. You don't have to explain it for every phone that is released. All phones get updated and usually get updated pretty quick. But with sprint most people are getting a new phone every 12 months so it isn't that big of a deal.

dark_dj27

May 29, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I have with this "premium data fee" is 90% of the time I'm on wifi. Since I got this phone at launch the most I have ever used is 6 gig of data. Well that and my area will NEVER have 4g.

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
It means truely unlimited data. So premium data = truely unlimited data. You don't have to explain it for every phone that is released. All phones get updated and usually get updated pretty quick. But with sprint most people are getting a new phone every 12 months so it isn't that big of a deal.

But there is currently no data cap on 3g phones so that does not explain it. Also like someone mentioned, how often do people go over 5gb on on cellphone-unless ur tethering? I regard myself as a power user and have come close a couple times but I'm on wifi so much, the cap is not an issue

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I guess being in the BIG APPLE has its props... My 4g network works flawless, and I don't have any problem paying the extra 10bucks.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
But there is currently no data cap on 3g phones so that does not explain it. Also like someone mentioned, how often do people go over 5gb on on cellphone-unless ur tethering? I regard myself as a power user and have come close a couple times but I'm on wifi so much, the cap is not an issue

I go over 5gb monthly. And I am on wifi about half the time. I also don't teather. When you are on 4g or even on 3g in some areas you use more data. And there was a 5gb cap on data. The $10 is a small fee to pay for a faster phone, more data and 4g.

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
It will be interesting to see how Verizon handles the pricing plans for their LTE phone in a couple months. That will be the real test especially with the rumored iphone coming.

I don't have 4g but I pay the charge cos I love the Evo and Sprint offers me the best value vs competitors

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well never at any time did Sprint call the $10 a 4G fee.... It has always been (and it even says on my bill) Premium Data fee.... I get a GREAT 4G signal from my house because there is literally a 4G Sprint tower just a couple hundred yards from my front door and I almost never use it... From time to time but it's not earth shattering....

Also for everyone who has an EVO it's not like you got your first bill and the $10 was there and you were SHOCKED you got charged an extra hidden fee. They were upfront about it at their big press even to announce the EVO a good 6 weeks before the phone officially hit the shelves and they spent that entire 6 weeks defending and explaining the $10 as anything but a 4G fee...

Simply put iPhones make up only about 10% of AT&T's phone users but they consume over 50% of the data pipeline (probably closer to 75%) Your being charged the $10 because the law of averages tells Sprint EVO customers are going to consume more data than someone with a Hero or Instinct or Blackberry.. So they charged accordingly..

What Sprint SHOULD have done is probably created new service plans with a capped data line and then charged $10 extra for unlimited data on your phone...... and then applied this to all new phones or contracts meaning if you have an instinct on their unlimited plan you could keep it until you trade your phone for an upgrade.... They could have drawn the line in the sand on the capped $69.99 plan some where that most users would surpass that limit (With an EVO or high end smart phone) and then have a plan in place that even if you go 1 kb over you get charged $10 for that month.....

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

You are wrong. Sprint limits data to 5gb on all 3G smartphones, and will throttle your data speeds to almost nothing if you exceed it. (just like T-mobile) The $10 premium DATA fee pays for usage of the 4G network AND unlimited data.

And believe me, when you're running full-bore WiMax or LTE you WILL burn through that 5 GB in a month.

caleb02

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I just found it interesting the different reasons or so called reasons. One rep said any phone with atleast a 1ghz cpu will get the fee as well. If the charge is because I use more then some guy with an touch diamond then just say so. That or.say if.u use more then 5gb then u pay the fee.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power