EVO in landscape.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I dont think this is an EVO thing i think its an android thing...if you use a third party launcher you can achieve home screen in landscape.
It's not so much an Android thing as it is an HTC thing. They about as much said it in a video I saw about the HTC Evo Shift 4G (or maybe it was an old video for the original Evo... can't remember exactly now), that they only support landscape home screens on phones with sliding keyboards. (Why they wouldn't have the support for all phones is beyond me, especially with the Evo's kickstand that only works in landscape mode.)

Either way, the only way you're going to get landscape home screens on the Evo would be to use something other than Sense as your launcher, like LauncherPro or ADW.Launcher. I've tried both, and decided to go back to Sense, because widgets on the home screen tend to refresh slowly when changing orientation on them (not sure if the same holds true with HTC phones that support landscape home screens), and I found myself having to re-orientate the phone back to portrait mode prior to going back to the home screen more often, which defeated the purpose of my reason for wanting landscape home screens in the first place.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you think the EVO will ever support landscape home screen.

- sent from Tapatalk Pro on my HTC EVO 4G

It supports it now. Any launcher that supports landscape home screens work.

If you want Sense with landscape, the Shift has it. When would the Evo (if ever?) get a landscape switching homescreen? Who knows.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Frankly, I like it the way it is. The only times I like to see my phone in landscape is > In messages - watching videos.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Frankly, I like it the way it is. The only times I like to see my phone in landscape is > In messages - watching videos.

Same here, i tried CM6 and ADW launcher (I think that's what it is) supports landscape mode and i was so excited at first, then about 45 minutes later I locked the screen to portrait mode, it always shifted to landscape when i didn't want it to ( it seemed overly sensitive) and icons/widgets didn't look/fit right.

BKBitar

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, I believe 2.3 gingerbread will support it. I'm not 100%, but I could have sworn I saw landscape homescreen on the Nexus S. That it's default android though, not sense.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Same here, i tried CM6 and ADW launcher (I think that's what it is) supports landscape mode and i was so excited at first, then about 45 minutes later I locked the screen to portrait mode, it always shifted to landscape when i didn't want it to ( it seemed overly sensitive) and icons/widgets didn't look/fit right.
But at least you got a choice. HTC decided not to give us that choice if we want to use their Sense UI. It's unfortunate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol