Camera Photo Problems - can't view pictures [HTC EVO 4G]

kngoworld

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am having a few problems with the photos on my HTV EVO running 2.2.

The first problem is that, when I take pictures using the EVO's camera the photos are viewable for a short while after taking them, but after a while they are not viewable. The photos are being saved in jpeg format. In thumbnail view there is a small error picture with an explanation point (!). When I click the photo to open it, nothing happens. Details shows the picture has being a jpeg, but the resolution shows -1x-1. The settings on the camera are:

ISO: Auto
Resolution: 8mp
Quality: High

Not sure why the photos are coming up with an error and un-viewable. I have also tried transferring the photos to my pc and also get an error message. The computer recognizes the photos as jpeg, but says the file format is not supported which makes no sense to me. The average size of the photos are about 1.6 megabytes.

Another lesser problem I am having is that old pictures taken from my old phone are not showing up in thumbnail view, they appear as just blank black squares but when clicked on to view in full screen they appear. Any idea why they would not show in thumbnail view?

I have scanned through the threads and haven't seen anyone else with this problem. Hope I am not the only one.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
First you can try re-booting the phone. If that doesn't work, you can also try deleting the .thumbnails folder. Deleting the .thumbnails folder forces the gallery to reload all of the thumbnails.

Because they are not opening on your PC either, it sounds like you have a corrupted SD card or a corrupted file on the SD card.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've never heard of this issue before. Do a reboot or clear storage. Turn off phone - Hold down power and volume down button... until white screen appear - follow steps on how to reboot or clear storage.

Note: Clearing storage doesn't delete apps/pics/music at all. You will only need to re-add your wallpaper(DefAult).

kngoworld

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you rushrl and Cyber Warrior for your quick responses. Here are my findings:

A straight re-boot did not solve either of my issues.

Deleting the .thumbnail files corrected the problem with not being able to see my old pictures in the thumbnail view. Although, my new pictures taken with this phone still show an error message and are not viewable.

Clearing storage did not help as well.

One problem resolved, one to go.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank you rushrl and Cyber Warrior for your quick responses. Here are my findings:

A straight re-boot did not solve either of my issues.

Deleting the .thumbnail files corrected the problem with not being able to see my old pictures in the thumbnail view. Although, my new pictures taken with this phone still show an error message and are not viewable.

Clearing storage did not help as well.

One problem resolved, one to go.
Its a start. I would say its a problem with your gallery but you said they wont open on a PC making me 90% positive that its a corrupted file or SD card you have. If you have a spare SD card laying around pop it in and try that without putting any of the old files on it yet.
OR
Take all the files off the SD card and store them somewhere in a folder on your computer temporarily. Insert the SD card into the PC>right click>and format the SD card. Then you can start putting the files back onto it little by little to narrow out the possibility of a corrupt file.

kngoworld

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the problem is a bad micro sd card. Which is disappointing, because its a 32gb Kingston class 4 card I purchased on eBay.

I transfered all the files on card to a folder on my pc, formatted card and placed all the files back. Got the same errors and bad picture files. Then transfered all the files, minus the corrupt ones that I knew of to the original 8gb card that came with EVO and everything seems to be working fine now.

Thanks Cyber Warrior for your help on locating the problem. Are there any 32gb micro sd cards that you can recommend that will work without flaws on the EVO?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Sandisk.... but its expensive.
I don't know when you started having this problem but back in April of last year Android phones were having a problem formatting 32g cards. The problem was fixed by an update not too long after that though.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the problem is a bad micro sd card. Which is disappointing, because its a 32gb Kingston class 4 card I purchased on eBay.

That statement sounds suspect to me. Your symptoms sound very similar to what's seen when a "fake" SD card is used.

A popular scam is to take a lower sized SD card, such as a 4 or 8gb, then formatting to 32gb. When inserted into a device, it will read correctly as 32gb. Problems only arise when files stored on the card exceed the "real" storage capacity of the card; for example, if the card is really an 8gb card and then you use 8gb+ of data, data will get corrupted on the card.

If the camera takes pictures fine with another SD card, I really think you picked up a "scam" SD card off ebay.

kngoworld

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
That statement sounds suspect to me. Your symptoms sound very similar to what's seen when a "fake" SD card is used.

A popular scam is to take a lower sized SD card, such as a 4 or 8gb, then formatting to 32gb. When inserted into a device, it will read correctly as 32gb. Problems only arise when files stored on the card exceed the "real" storage capacity of the card; for example, if the card is really an 8gb card and then you use 8gb+ of data, data will get corrupted on the card.

If the camera takes pictures fine with another SD card, I really think you picked up a "scam" SD card off ebay.

npark, Is there any way to check to see if this scam was pulled off on the card I purchased? Below is a picture of the actual card.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
npark, Is there any way to check to see if this scam was pulled off on the card I purchased? Below is a picture of the actual card.

That definitely looks fake to me. Look at the way the "32" is printed on the card... doesn't it look odd to you? In comparison, this is a (resized) picture from Amazon for what a 32GB microSD card from Kingston should look like:

71pie5bij1laa1500.jpg

I don't trust eBay for purchases. Especially for stuff like this.

Maddaleuuu

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I had the same problem with HTC SENSATION and i did everything you advice. But my files are still corrupted and i cannot see any photo.... plus it is not solved and it's doing the same even with a different card... do you know how can i see my files ? :(
thank you

Hazem Tawfik

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

Do not worry, your not the only one with the problem you described. I have an HTC Raider 4G which is similar to the EVO 4G you have. Photos taken by the phone camera change resolution randomly by themselves to -1 x -1 after storage but that happen only when I store the photos on the Micro SD card I installed on the phone. This never happen when I store the photos on the Phone Storage. Do you have the same situation?
It seems to be a problem with the version of Android operating system the phone is running at. Photos stored on the Mico SD might stay fine for a short period; If you transferred those photos to your PC before there resolution change then; they will not change resolution while on the PC. Thus, for me the only way to avoid resolution automatic change was to store on the phone storage.

Drilon Mahmudi

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
i have the same problem, i transferred some photos to SD then they gone black. I`ve tried everything but it looks impossible. I think the problem is at SD card because photos on device are fine, only last photos which i transferred to memorycard are interrupted. If someone can solve i`d be very thankful

Abby Starrs

May 23, 2018
Visit site
Hate to bear bad news, but i think youre wrong. I have galaxy 6, and am having the same issue, however i do not even have a sim card, and never have. However it only recently began to do this. So thats NOT the cause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781