is the evo worth it?

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
For starters, my apologies to the admins. I have tried posting this question on a few other posts, but no one seems to be responding. Sorry. My bad.

On to my question: I've been on verizon for over 3 years. I have the Dinc, and I got it by signing up for a 2 year contract last year. I've been looking at their policies changes lately, unofficial or not, and on top of the ridiculous charges, and now the iphone coming to verizon (...yea...), I'm planning on switching very soon. Their coverage is great in my area, panhandle of ohio, but I'm tired of getting gipped. :mad:

Anyway, I want to get the Evo. Seems like the perfect replacement, possible upgrade, from what I have now, and was wondering is it worth it? I have compared the specs to most of the newer Android devices coming out, and it seems to me like the evo is still pretty relevant and can still hang with the best. I've checked out Sprint's coverage around here, and despite not having 4g, :(, it seems like they have pretty decent coverage.

Anybody around the tri-state area give me any feedback?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Well if you don't plan on getting any of the newer models being released this year and are happy with what you have, the Evo is a great phone and is at a great price. However you will be paying an extra $10 a month whether you use the 4g or not.

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I read that on their site. That doesn't really bother me, considering my wife and I can get 2 4g phones on sprint if we want, and still save almost $40-$50/a month.

I guess I'm questioning how stable and relevant the evo is almost a year later, and how will it hold up this year?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
It will most likely receive the Gingerbread update and should be good for this year. Next year it may not be so relevant as more phones are released it will be replaced by something better. That doesn't mean the phone wont be functional anymore but it comes down to what you want out of a device. Do you want the latest gadget with all the newest technology or will you be happy in two years still using the Evo the way it is.

lornaevo

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I have an Evo and I must say that even after 6 months I am very happy with what this device can do. It is definitely worth it to me. Also sprint may be charging the $10 fee but their plans are amazing. And I don't see myself leaving them anytime soon.

kuscoot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I would make the switch again today . . . even anticipating newer phones from Sprint. The EVO is Awesome and I've loved Sprint . . . and my experience has been a lot of money savings. . . that is always good. If you're a premiere member, you can upgrade every 12 mos, now granted, it is only a 75 dollar credit instead of the 150 if you wait another ten mos, but for someone that wants to stay with the latest and greatest phone, I think it is a good way to go.
I have never regretted leaving the big red V.

p1eric

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you're a premiere member, you can upgrade every 12 mos, now granted, it is only a 75 dollar credit instead of the 150 if you wait another ten mos,...

Unless something has changed premier customers get the full $150 upgrade on the primary line each year.

So, OP, if you upgrade to the EVO now I think you'll be happy it for at least another year, especially if you liked your DINC. If you plan on sticking out your 2-year contract without an upgrade then you may want to wait a few months and get a better look at whats on the horizon for Sprint.

JohnAlpha

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm also in the situation of paying the $10 fee when I don't have 4G available in my area. Given that even with the fee my plan is still cheaper than comparable AT&T or Verizon plans, though, I don't think it should be much of a factor.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have had Sprint for over 10 years, and have never had any issues with service or their devices. I have had the EVO since launch, and do not regret it in the least. I think it is a wonderful device, and will continue to be relevant for quite a while, especially considering that it is basically the "flagship" device for Sprint. With Verizon now offering the iPhone, Sprint will probably push the EVO to show that they already have a phone that can compete with the iPhone ("iPhone killer," I hate that phrase).

Even when they come out with the next best thing, I believe the EVO will be able to compete for a while. With the popularity of Android, improvements in Sprint service (and customer service), and the cost factor in Sprint plans over Verizon (even with the "4G tax"), I think it will be a device that Sprint will lean on for quite a while.

mbeezy

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
The Evo is an amazing phone. And coming from the Dinc you should be satisfied. I think it can still hold its own standing next to any of the phones. They're mostly just playing catch up to it anyway. Besides they'll always be some new better phone in the works. Just find one that fits your needs and live.

Sent from my EVO using tapatalk.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I got so sick of Big Red that I paid the ETF to get out of there and go to Sprint. I love my EVO and my brother just played with it and he's leaving Verizon for him and his gf to get EVOs also. Like you said, even with both phones being 4G you still save money. It's insane how Verizon gouges people. "Ohhhhh... you wanna TEXT also? Well, that's another $10/month... Ohhhh... you wanna surf the web with your smartphone? $30/month extra..."

Seriously though - Verizon's coverage is by far the best but I can't stand getting bent over. I will put up with slightly worse coverage to save so much money.

As far as the phone goes, I found it nice to hear that new hardware coming out has the same exact CPU in a few of the more awesome devices. This says a lot for longevity of the EVO.

I say go for it.

Reactions: mattchew86

Linkzo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I got my EVO in December 2010 and don't regret it at all, even after the CES announcements for all the upcoming smartphone devices.
I always say to people to never try to play catch-up with technology cause it's always EVOlving and you'll end up spending a lot of money. Just my 2 cents.

JohnAlpha

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree; after a year or so pretty much any phone is going to be somewhat outdated, so waiting to upgrade will only mean you're stuck with a broken device for longer.

I'm actually fairly impressed with the fact that the Evo seems to hold up well compared to a lot of phones from CES. The specs for many are about the same.

heberman

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is making a big announcement on February 7th. If I were buying a new phone in the next few weeks, I would wait until Feb 7th before I pulled the trigger. If the announcement doesn't top the Evo, then I would buy the Evo on February 8.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is making a big announcement on February 7th. If I were buying a new phone in the next few weeks, I would wait until Feb 7th before I pulled the trigger. If the announcement doesn't top the Evo, then I would buy the Evo on February 8.

EXACTLY...That is what I'm doing...I bought my Hero (Nice phone, I'm not hating) and they released the EVO...Not gonna' happen this time. I'm eligible for my upgrade Feb 1st and will wait to see what they're going to say.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I wish I'd seen this thread before now.... My response would have had u jump up and get an Evo asap. I'm not letting go of this bad boy until Sprint or HTC decide to give us the Evo 2.