1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why does my EVO keep resetting my Email settings?

I use a couple different Email accounts, including my work one. My primary account, my personal one, is a Hotmail account. I've adjusted the settings to my liking, including NOT deleting the Email on the server (leaving it in my Hotmail account, that is), as well as the Email size limit being unlimited. For some odd reason, however, my EVO keeps resetting these settings to their default settings, among them being to delete mail on the server.

This has been happening quite a bit lately, too, and I can't figure out why.

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
    I use a couple different Email accounts, including my work one. My primary account, my personal one, is a Hotmail account. I've adjusted the settings to my liking, including NOT deleting the Email on the server (leaving it in my Hotmail account, that is), as well as the Email size limit being unlimited. For some odd reason, however, my EVO keeps resetting these settings to their default settings, among them being to delete mail on the server.

This has been happening quite a bit lately, too, and I can't figure out why.
    You didn't really provide any information on how you're connecting to your email. I think the first thing you should do is provide some more background information:
    - What app are you using?
    - What sort of accounts are these? pop? imap? EAS? gmail?
    - Other configuration you think is relevant...

I'm just going out on a limb here, but if you're using the HTC mail app with a Hotmail POP account, my suggestion is that you stop. Use EAS instead: A quick google search resulted in that link.

You didn't specify what other accounts you have on the phone. I'm going to assume you have gmail because you have an Android phone. In that case, I suggest the Gmail app.

Good luck.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Duh. Dummy me did forget to mention that for my Hotmail stuff, I use the EVO's stock Email setup with the same settings I set up in October when I got the phone (meaning I've changed nothing since then):

• Protocol: POP
    • POP server: pop3.live.com
    • Security type: SSL
    • Server port: 995
    • SMTP server: smtp.live.com
    • Security Type: TLS
    • Server port: 587
    • Account Name: Hotmail

Believe it or not, I've tried other Email apps, but they were all so annoying and cumbersome that I simply stuck with the stock one.

BTW, I do have a gmail account that's synched to my phone, but I don't use that account nearly as much. Truthfully, I'm not a big fan of gmail, especially its layout when I access it via a PC.

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goodness 3.0.0

LOL......same thing was happening to me, and i made the tough decision to go to sprint and they replaced the device.....pretty weird, but they didnt give me a definetive andswer on why it was happening....good lcuk man

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

Duh. Dummy me did forget to mention that for my Hotmail stuff, I use the EVO's stock Email setup with the same settings I set up in October when I got the phone (meaning I've changed nothing since then):

• Protocol: POP
    • POP server: pop3.live.com
    • Security type: SSL
    • Server port: 995
    • SMTP server: smtp.live.com
    • Security Type: TLS
    • Server port: 587
    • Account Name: Hotmail

Believe it or not, I've tried other Email apps, but they were all so annoying and cumbersome that I simply stuck with the stock one.
    I really think you should try out using EAS with your hotmail, instead of pop.

Let's say you get 10 emails a day, but if you check email every 30 minutes, you're checking email 48 times a day. Every 15 minutes? 96 times a day. However with EAS, you only get email 10 times a day--email is pushed as it arrives, you have no polling period.

Granted, it doesn't address your issue with the settings changing on you. But if this is a better way to get email, and it works... does it matter?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I get about 300+ Emails a day into the account, and they arrive quite literally constantly. However, having them pushed to my phone constantly isn't a problem. During the daytime while at work (I'm a teacher who has the phone off during my school day), the messages just wait for me to check.

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

So what setting gets removed? All of them?

Have you tried removing the account and re-adding?

I am just diametrically opposed to email technology from 1990, when superior synchronization technology is out there and available.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Actually, the above settings don't get changed. What changes are the settings or options like "leave mail on server," "update every 'X' hours," "Email size limit," etc.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by npark View Post

I am just diametrically opposed to email technology from 1990, when superior synchronization technology is out there and available.
    Well, I think I figured out how to set up such an account, but--and I shouldn't be surprised--it wouldn't work. I keep getting the error message: "Failed to create account. Please try again later."

Doesn't look like it's possible on my EVO for some reason.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

BTW, I specifically recall that this was the actual reason I could never set up an EAS account on my EVO. Since getting my EVO in mid-October, I've tried to go the EAS route, but every time I do, I got the "Failed to create account" nag. I figured it was me not understanding how to set it up. When I contacted Windows Live Support, something that is NOT easy to do, their reply to me was always the same: "Sorry, but we cannot assist you with your problem, as the HTC EVO does not support EAS."

Either they're full of it or there's a big problem somewhere.

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

BTW, I specifically recall that this was the actual reason I could never set up an EAS account on my EVO. Since getting my EVO in mid-October, I've tried to go the EAS route, but every time I do, I got the "Failed to create account" nag. I figured it was me not understanding how to set it up. When I contacted Windows Live Support, something that is NOT easy to do, their reply to me was always the same: "Sorry, but we cannot assist you with your problem, as the HTC EVO does not support EAS."

Either they're full of it or there's a big problem somewhere.
    They are full of it. I use EAS for work. Do you have your domain, user account, and password?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Yup. I perused the Internet looking for any problems related to this. I found a ton of EVO users who since June 2010 have had the exact, same problem. So, it does appear that this cannot be done on the EVO, at least 99% of them.

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

I just added my hotmail account as an EAS account... I removed my work account and tested it out. Worked in like 2 secomds after clicking next.

Try this config instructions?

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

Yup. I perused the Internet looking for any problems related to this. I found a ton of EVO users who since June 2010 have had the exact, same problem. So, it does appear that this cannot be done on the EVO, at least 99% of them.
    Wow, i must be lucky...

The only thing i can really think of, but loathe to suggest, is to wipemdata and reset. Have you considered that?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by npark View Post
    I just added my hotmail account as an EAS account... I removed my work account and tested it out. Worked in like 2 secomds after clicking next.

Try this config instructions?
    Yes, you're one of the lucky few. I just tried it again—same problem.

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

Sorry this won't be of much help....but this happened to me for months and it stopped maybe 3 months ago. I have no idea what triggered the end of the problem. I didn't change anything. For the record, I only use one pop account in the stock mail program.
    Current: GN3&GN2 10.1/Prior:TP201/Xoom/Archos101/RAZR MAXX HD/RAZR MAXX/Evo3D/Evo4G/allSprintTreos&Recovering Pre user.

Default Re: Why does my EVO keep resetting my Email settings?

This has happened to me!

Most recently yesterday. I posted on another thread. Can anyone help?

Yesterday 11/17/2012, I deleted some messages from my phone and emptied trash to reclaim space. My next refresh downloaded messages from early Novemberdeleted them again, and again the refresh pulled old messages. I deleted all and decided to use my laptophis . To my dismay, my messages did not download to my laptop client. I checked my phone and setting had changed to delete messages from server. I always have it set to keep on server. I contacted my mail service and they cannot retrieve. This morning I refreshed my Android mail and of course old messages no longer downloaded.

I DID NOTHING.

This has happened in past. Is this caused by updates pushed down unbeknownst to me?