New EVO, old BlackBerry user

dvs1j#IM

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
Please forgive me as I am new here to Droid and need some help or guidence. I have been long time user of BB and LOVED their form and style, but alas, they have dropped the ball and are way behind in terms of whats new and needed in todays market of phones. So if anyone has any helpful guidence and information I will greatly need and welcome it. :D

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,
Please forgive me as I am new here to Droid and need some help or guidence. I have been long time user of BB and LOVED their form and style, but alas, they have dropped the ball and are way behind in terms of whats new and needed in todays market of phones. So if anyone has any helpful guidence and information I will greatly need and welcome it. :D

The Motorola Droid brand is available for Verizon. However, since your thread title states you have an Evo, I'll assume you're referring to Android. :p

Welcome to the forums and I'm sure you'll enjoy your phone. Best way to enjoy your phone is to experience it first hand, so after you use it for awhile, let us know how it's going for you.

Here's an interesting read: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-i-couldnt-do-my-other-phones.html#post469845

This is interesting to see the way people have setup their layouts:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/32876-evo-screen-shots.html

Reactions: MemBirdman

eric.atx

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
As stated above...

Step one. Android not droid some of us are picky about that.

Best advice is to read this and xda that's where you'll learn the most. Xda can be over whelming because it's huge. Just read the evo section for starters. Then branch out.

I left blackberry for the same reason but I was only a one time owner. I got tired of hearing about all the cool crap that android had. Then the evo came out and hello day one evo owner!

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I would say just continue to play with it and visit these forums. You will learn a lot about your device. The EVO is arguably the best phone on the market, it can do many things. It will take you some time to figure out all of the uses it has. Good luck and congratulations.

dvs1j#IM

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you guys, and I am sorry for respecting my phone by saying Droid. I shall never make that same mistake again lol. I am trying to figure all these things out here on site and phone. Lots to cover tho. I got tired of blackberry saying what's new and all it was, was a refresh of old items. :mad: so far I'm ecstatic with my choice. I'll check for lots more as I go on. :cool:

kuscoot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on making the switch. I did it myself about 6 mos ago and have NEVER looked back. And, this website ROCKS. You will be refreshed and excited to find how different it is from the other place where crackberry addicts hang out. It was important to me to figure out that my Evo seems WAY more complicated to root than my BB's ever were. I was not expecting that to be the case. Just an FYI. Also, invest in the Seidio 3500 battery. You will greatly disappointed in the EVO battery especially coming from a BB that could run for days on end.. . Yes, the battery is BIGGER, and UGLY, but you don't have to worry about running out of juice!
So congrats again and enjoy that EVO! i think it is the BEST FONE EVER.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on making the switch. I did it myself about 6 mos ago and have NEVER looked back. And, this website ROCKS. You will be refreshed and excited to find how different it is from the other place where crackberry addicts hang out. It was important to me to figure out that my Evo seems WAY more complicated to root than my BB's ever were. I was not expecting that to be the case. Just an FYI. Also, invest in the Seidio 3500 battery. You will greatly disappointed in the EVO battery especially coming from a BB that could run for days on end.. . Yes, the battery is BIGGER, and UGLY, but you don't have to worry about running out of juice!
So congrats again and enjoy that EVO! i think it is the BEST FONE EVER.

I get 40 hours+ of battery life with the factory battery. I really don't see the need to get a big fat battery.

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

Guidance for what type of functionality?

I had a bb for years and was a rep for them for awhile. I love my EVO.

dvs1j#IM

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I hear all these terms being thrown out such as group and gingerbread and rooting I'm just like huh, lol.
I know there are many different things u can and will do too phones now, so I just want to make the best of my phones potential.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Good move on the switch...also a long time BB user. Search through the forums and learn as much as you can. If you need help on anything just ask. More then happy to help..

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you read more than just the Evo section of the forums. Lots of great stuff in the 'general help and how to' and apps sections

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
The Motorola Droid brand is available for Verizon. However, since your thread title states you have an Evo, I'll assume you're referring to Android. :p

Actually, Droid is a Verizon TM, not Motorola's. Check for example the DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC on Verizon's site. :p

dvs1j#IM

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
So I've played with my EVO for two whole days and I agree, the battery sucks majorly. I dont know how anyone can got 40hrs, however I dont want to add an extended battery cause of my platinum case(very nice case but I think I will be going with an OTTERBOX) and figured out to turn off GPS so that has helped. :) Ive downloaded lots of functional and fun apps as well. Im going to add on the WIFI tethering so I can play and use online for my laptop and PS3. The forums are great as one issue and I can turn to lots of others for help. Thanks all for the help (*_*)

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
There are numerous tweaks to extend battery life... using radios only when you need them, wi-fi preferable to 3G, playing around with updates on widgets, background sync, etc.

When you do play around with your settings, the battery life can be extended considerably.

KOMO

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only BB user who has made the jump. I actually sold my 9650 two days ago and picked up my EVO a few days prior. I absolutely love this thing, I'm till conditioning the battery but it's looking good so far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante