Applications moved to SD?

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
So I have moved all my applications that I can to the SD card on my Evo. So why is it that when I shut down and insert a newly formatted/blank SD card (replacing the one that all the apps have been moved to), that all the apps still work when I boot up the phone? Shouldn't the apps I've moved to SD that is no longer in the phone not respond?

I've seen this several times, and it's really strange. I mostly do this on trips where I shoot pictures on my point-and-shoot camera on a micro-sd inside an sd adapter and then upload them to Flickr or Smugmug by putting the photo card into my phone.

Help me figure this one out, somebody. :)

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Use titanium Backup to backup your apps and maybe your pictures also. Add titanium to your phone's memory. Then go ahead a swap out your SD card.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm saying that I swapped out my card and all the apps worked... yet they shouldn't have since I moved them to SD. Why is that?

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I personaly never tried it. My theory is the old card has never been re- formatted. Therefore it will still be recognized by you phone as part of its memory.

Last edited:

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
The old card was formatted in the camera. Only thing on it was pictures. I even tried again by reformatting the card in the phone. All the apps that I moved to the SD (that was no longer in the phone) still worked perfectly.

Try it and you'll see what I mean.

igobytony

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That is really strange. I'm going to try that tomorrow with the original card that came with my EVO.

I wonder if only some info from the apps gets moved? I've noticed that when I move something, it lists it's size as being much smaller after I move it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think the data gets stored for the apps, like the databases etc on the cards and the program still resides in internal memory.
That goes against what everyone says but with my memory card removed on my dinc my apps still run.

Added: saving data, info, etc. cannot work without the card installed.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Android doesn't move the entire app to your SD card... you must have noticed this after you've performed the move--the amount listed for the storage of each app changes after you move them.

So, depending on the app, many parts of it could still work without problems even when the card is unmounted, or if a brand new card without files for the app is swapped in. If/when you get to functionality of the app that requires whatever parts were moved to the SD, you'll most likely see or "Force Close" dialog.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I haven't found an app that doesn't fully work yet... of course, all my Doggcatcher podcasts are missing, but all the other apps work perfectly. I just found it really odd... I'm not complaining, since it makes card swaps pretty easy and safe to do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc