Long Term Test for Evo

homer626

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I'm new to the forums and would like to say hello to everybody. I have a question about the EVO 4g. I am currently using a blackberry and would like to try something different and was looking at this phone. But I've heard so many different things about it and I would like to know anybody out there that has it whats the long term test of the phone? Does it reset a lot? Things like that would be a great help thanks.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android central. Had my Evo since launch and haven't had any restarts or issues yet! The only issue with some apps sometimes force closing but no restarts. I prefer the force closing over the phone restarting because it only affects the app and not the phone. Restarting the phone is under a minute usually 50 sec. This is just my experience, can't speak for anyone else.

Reactions: homer626

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
^^ I can second that as well. The EVO is an awesome phone, one of, if not Sprint best phone.

I would recommend you not waiting any longer - make that transition as soon as possible . You won't regret it.

(Btw) Welcome to the forum. Please get familiar with Android by reading This and the capabilities of android phones. .

Enjoy the forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: homer626

homer626

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys thanks for the advice, but also I'm use to a blackberry keyboard and I usually write a lot with the keys, hows the keyboard?

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys thanks for the advice, but also I'm use to a blackberry keyboard and I usually write a lot with the keys, hows the keyboard?

As you probably know, the Evo only has a virtual keyboard, which is fine due to the large Evo screen. There are other virtual keyboards you can use, such as Swype, Swift key, Better Keyboard, etc. My preference is Better Keyboard.

If you want a hard keyboard, I would suggest looking at a Evo Shift or Epic also.

taniabonita52

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
The Evo is the best phone I've ever used. Stable, fast, amazing. I don't regret it. I had a Palm Centro, then the Palm Pre... and I thought I was going to have issues not having a physical keyboard. Not at all. I type just as fast, and with all the available keyboards in the market, you will find one that suits your needs.

I say, don't wait any longer and grab one soon :) you will love it.

But... as a previous poster said... check out the Evo shift. I am not sure about the Epic... as I've heard there are various update issues with that.... but I'm not sure. You may want to research that. The Evo shift and the Evo 4G are remarkable devices tho.

Ps: I typed this from the Evo ;-) really, really fast.

JuniorWWT

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Had my Evo since launch day and absolutely love it. Come from a Blackberry curve that I use to love, but it doesnt compare to the Evo in any way. I've had no crashes and only a couple of force closes from poorly developed apps. The virtual keyboard was a little cumbersome at first, but only for a very short time. I am useing Shapewriter keyboard now which is similar to Swype and Im blazing fast. Do it. You wont regret it. And if you think you need that hardware keyboard get the Shift. Got it for my wife on it's launch day and it is equally as amazing.

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's a food phone. I moved up from my Treo 755. I do find that rebooting every few days pays. Mostly I find the native browser seems to develop cache like issues,, pages won't load.

The contacts app is not designed with a businessman in mind, you can't search for businessname with the persons name in the same contact. Ditto, the native calendar is a joke. But, yes, the phone is way cool and I wouldn't go back.

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Ill add my vote for a switch as well (who wouldnt on an EVO forum!! :) )

Now for some actual details for you.
I came from a long term TREO user. Every Treo sprint carried from the 600 on, I used for some amount of time. (up to the treo 800...only skipped the PRO) I was always addicted to the keyboard and leery of leaving it behind. I took baby steps and jumped to the TouchPro 2 for a year after the Treo 800w. It too had a full keyboard, but also a soft keyboard so I could "get my feet wet"
At the same time I switched from a BB 8830 to a Storm on my work device. After the lackluster Storm experience and a so-so experience with the soft keyboard on the TP2, I was VERY worried about your exact issue. The softkeyboard on the EVO is great. I routinely do full emails on it with no issues.

Having used a coworkers EPIC I do have to admit that the display is beautiful, but otherwise I was not impressed, and even though it is much closer in design to my beloved TP2, I was not tempted to change at all.

As far as reboots, like any phone you will reboot occasionally, but its NOT as common as with the BB and much faster. BB reboots are usually measured in MINUTES (3-4) but the EVO reboots in about a minute if that long.

homer626

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ill add my vote for a switch as well (who wouldnt on an EVO forum!! :) )

Now for some actual details for you.
I came from a long term TREO user. Every Treo sprint carried from the 600 on, I used for some amount of time. (up to the treo 800...only skipped the PRO) I was always addicted to the keyboard and leery of leaving it behind. I took baby steps and jumped to the TouchPro 2 for a year after the Treo 800w. It too had a full keyboard, but also a soft keyboard so I could "get my feet wet"
At the same time I switched from a BB 8830 to a Storm on my work device. After the lackluster Storm experience and a so-so experience with the soft keyboard on the TP2, I was VERY worried about your exact issue. The softkeyboard on the EVO is great. I routinely do full emails on it with no issues.

Having used a coworkers EPIC I do have to admit that the display is beautiful, but otherwise I was not impressed, and even though it is much closer in design to my beloved TP2, I was not tempted to change at all.

As far as reboots, like any phone you will reboot occasionally, but its NOT as common as with the BB and much faster. BB reboots are usually measured in MINUTES (3-4) but the EVO reboots in about a minute if that long.

Hey thanks for that, I also used a couple treo's and I know what your talking about. I was about to buy one online its one that the seller said it had a manufacture deficit? It says the phone works for a certain amount of time and resets? Has anyone ever heard of this and do you think It could be fixed with a simple hard restart? Any help from anyone I would greatly appreciate thanks.

mbeezy

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
Welcome! And I haven't had any rebooted. An occasional force close on an app but not many. Excellent smartphone IMO.

Sent from my EVO using tapatalk.

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I started out with the g1 then gave in to the bb (foolish) I eventually did everything I could with a bb and went back to android os ...I've had the evo (after having some mid range androids Sammy's moment blah) since July and I've had no problems what so ever...I've done just about everything with this phone shy of making love to it ...lol...its blazing fast still and most of all no battery pulls and rebooting. The dev and support community is outstanding and I probably wouldn't upgrade even if the evo2 came out tomorrow ...no need in my eyes

Life is about EVOlution

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Had a palm pre. Switched to the evo and im loving it. I would advise you to get it now. I even underclocked mine to 800 mhz because it seems to run better that way.

Sent From Tapatalk.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
No problems with resets. I also came from a Palm Pre and have had no issues with the virtual keyboard. I was very hesitant about the keyboard, but the screen is so big that I have had no mis-typing.

homer626

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No problems with resets. I also came from a Palm Pre and have had no issues with the virtual keyboard. I was very hesitant about the keyboard, but the screen is so big that I have had no mis-typing.

Oh yea, thanks guys for all your feedback that was my biggest concern, the keyboard because i type a lot but since the screen so big it shouldn't be a problem.

bridic

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site

Like you i switched from a hard keyboard device to the Evo.
It took me about 3 good weeks but I feel I type faster on the Evo then my previous device.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's a food phone. I moved up from my Treo 755. I do find that rebooting every few days pays. Mostly I find the native browser seems to develop cache like issues,, pages won't load.

The contacts app is not designed with a businessman in mind, you can't search for businessname with the persons name in the same contact. Ditto, the native calendar is a joke. But, yes, the phone is way cool and I wouldn't go back.
I'm glad to hear that you finally made the transition my friend. We are no longer Webos enthusiasts - we are now Android enthusiasts.

I've now come to (somewhat) mastered it, and I know you will.

homer626

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad to hear that you finally made the transition my friend. We are no longer Webos enthusiasts - we are now Android enthusiasts.

I've now come to (somewhat) mastered it, and I know you will.

Yes, and I finally made the purchase! Got myself one and will be expecting it in the mail soon cant wait!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney