Market Updates Problem - "unknown error-18"

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I've searched threads but see nothing matching my new problem.

My apps are having trouble updating/installing. It would appear to be the install stage. I've ensured I have enough space on the card for it to work.

I click on the "update unsuccesful" notfication message to take me back to the market for a specific app and get a message window saying "Unknown Reason -18." I click OK, and it goes to the app. I try a specific update (vs. update all) and have the same unsuccessful installation issue..and round and round. Some will update. Others won't. No particular pattern to those that do and don't such as SD card install or on phone.

Has anyone else seen this error? Does anyone know what is going on?

I've turned the phone off and restarted a number of times over the last few days, but I get the same error and cannot update most apps.

I'd appreciate any help.

Last edited:

OmegaRZR13

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I actually have this same problem, I've noticed that it occurs mostly when the market is trying update apps that are on my sd card. When the error occurs, I have to move the app back to the phone memory and then run the update, then move the app back to the sd card. I know, pain in the a$$. This usually works for me. As you've said I haven't seen any threads on this particular issue or why it occurs.

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I received a reply from a developer after thinking it was their app causing a problem after an update. However, I still had the problem after removal. The developer directed me to the xda forum to the following advice:

Mount phone as removable drive.
Go to SD card .android_secure dir and remove smdl2tmp1.asec file.

Everything worked perfectly after this.

Some rooted users MIGHT be able to delete this as a rooted user directly from the phone, but I couldn't do it through file managers. I had to run the USB to my computer and go through the file explorer.

Thanks to the developer of SD Move for directing me to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=755970&page=5 and the various posters for their input.
The developer said this seems to have something to do with apps not installing or perhaps deleting correctly leaving a problem file behind.

My next thread inquiry will be:
"why am I having so much trouble with mounting my phone as a USB drive on my computer - takes forever to show up as drive..."

Last edited:

johnacc2011

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Between Marketplace issues, My HTC evo 4g restarting itself (2-3 times a week), Sprint telling me to re-initialize my phone every other day, the Apple Iphone4 is starting to look ok (I just didn't say that did I?). No, I actually like the Google company a lot with their innovative ideas they're starting to come out with but let's get it together please. Starting with the restriction of Bull$h1T apps that my 5 year old could write better. Kind of funny in a way but can get depressing some days. I hope Google and good app develpers a good upcoming month.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Between Marketplace issues, My HTC evo 4g restarting itself (2-3 times a week), Sprint telling me to re-initialize my phone every other day, the Apple Iphone4 is starting to look ok (I just didn't say that did I?). No, I actually like the Google company a lot with their innovative ideas they're starting to come out with but let's get it together please. Starting with the restriction of Bull$h1T apps that my 5 year old could write better. Kind of funny in a way but can get depressing some days. I hope Google and good app develpers a good upcoming month.

Your just having issues, which is totally understandable to want something else. However this is user knowledge. I never have issues with my EVO, and that is because I know the system top to bottom. Once you know how to fix things, you fix them quick and the problem goes away. What you should do is a complete wipe of the phone and start it fresh. Sounds like something you have is making the software go haywire. As for the Marketplace fix, it is super easy.

Step 1 - Move all apps to internal memory from card
Step 2 - Delete android_secure file on the SD
Step 3 - Move all apps back to SD as you please, and everything will update fine.

Reactions: johnacc2011

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital