Software update 3.30

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
For me that release had two problems:

1. Winamp music streaming is garbled
2. If you have the full version of the gameloft game Nova installed, it won't work anymore after the update since the trial version of Nova comes with this update.

Other than that, smooth cruising.

Reactions: FatalErrorz

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
the phone's not offering me 3.70 yet...It wants me to download 3.30.651.3. I just got it yesterday when my upgrade went through.

I see. You're probably at 3.29 and the upgrades are most likely incremental it sounds like.

You can upgrade to 3.30, which is improved over 3.29. If you check again, after the upgrade you'll probably find a prompt for 3.70 as well.

Good luck.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I see. You're probably at 3.29 and the upgrades are most likely incremental it sounds like.

You can upgrade to 3.30, which is improved over 3.29. If you check again, after the upgrade you'll probably find a prompt for 3.70 as well.

Good luck.

I'm at 3.30.651.2 currently. My Evo has some newer hardware than the Evo with the 3.29.xxx.x. From what I've read on here, 3.30.651.3 is only offered to the newer Evo, but if you've rooted it, it's offered also. I was just wondering if there were any definitive or systemic issues with the upgrade, or if I should just keep what I got. I'm one of the "If it ain't broke, leave it the **** alone unless it makes it even better" kinda' guys. Last thing I want to do is brick my 2-day old phone.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm at 3.30.651.2 currently. My Evo has some newer hardware than the Evo with the 3.29.xxx.x. From what I've read on here, 3.30.651.3 is only offered to the newer Evo, but if you've rooted it, it's offered also. I was just wondering if there were any definitive or systemic issues with the upgrade, or if I should just keep what I got. I'm one of the "If it ain't broke, leave it the **** alone unless it makes it even better" kinda' guys. Last thing I want to do is brick my 2-day old phone.

Sorry, I don't follow.

Rooted phones should NEVER accept any software updates. Shouldn't even be used in the same sentence. I don't know where you heard this information.

Every Evo, regardless of hardware version, can use the Sprint/HTC software updates, 3.29, 3.30, 3.70. My phone is a hardware 002 version, and I'm using a custom ROM. My dad's phone is a hardware 004 version with 3.70. There's no correlation between hardware version and which Sprint software you can run.

Umm... between 3.30 and 3.70, there's more bloatware (yay). Kindle app, Blockbuster app, Swype keyboard (probably the only plus). Performance wise, actually some people dislike the HTC #15 kernel (bundled in the 3.70 update), and find that the #17 kernel is better (from 3.30).

My dad's phone is 3.70 and he's doing fine with it while unrooted, gets through the day on the battery, does everything he needs it to. I would personally take the 3.70 update for the radio updates that come with it. Empirically speaking, I don't know what sort of performance change that portends, but I would just do it. =)

Edit: I see that you're distinguishing between 3.30.651.2 and 3.30.651.3. I don't believe there's any different between those, except probably re-built for different hardware. There are several screens that are used for the Evo. Functionally, anything on the same 3.xx. branch should be identical.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I don't follow.

Rooted phones should NEVER accept any software updates. Shouldn't even be used in the same sentence. I don't know where you heard this information.

I read it on numerous threads on here when I did a search on 3.30.651.3. Several of the developers were saying they were getting the message offering them the update, and several of them gave it a shot. 651.3 offers Swype, and fix for Qik, and a few other things. I don't want bloatware, for sure. My Hero was rooted, but I see no need to root my Evo yet.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I read it on numerous threads on here when I did a search on 3.30.651.3. Several of the developers were saying they were getting the message offering them the update, and several of them gave it a shot. 651.3 offers Swype, and fix for Qik, and a few other things. I don't want bloatware, for sure. My Hero was rooted, but I see no need to root my Evo yet.

The key distinguisher between Sprint/HTC software is 3.xx, not the last few digits.

My software base for my custom ROM is 3.70.651.1. The last 4 digits don't matter.

Patnet

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Avoid 3.70 if you stream music. Both Rhapsody and Slacker don't work properly. Pandora is intermittent. All confirmed issues if you look at the Android Market comments for those apps.

Reactions: FatalErrorz

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The key distinguisher between Sprint/HTC software is 3.xx, not the last few digits.

My software base for my custom ROM is 3.70.651.1. The last 4 digits don't matter.

They definitely matter. 3.30.651.1 to 3.30.651.2 to 3.30.651.3 were 3 changes in the order they came out. They may not matter for rooted phones, but in terms of releases from HTC, they matter.

FatalErrorz

Banned
Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Avoid 3.70 if you stream music. Both Rhapsody and Slacker don't work properly. Pandora is intermittent. All confirmed issues if you look at the Android Market comments for those apps.

I do stream tunes. thanks. 3.70 isn't showing up as an option for an update...at least through the update center.