Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SD Card Suddenly "read-only" :'(

ANY help would be appreciated! I am running a stock Evo 4G! Using a 32gb Class 10 Patriot LX SDHC card! Day 14 of using that SD card. Only had my Evo for 27 days. NO problems up to now. Out of the blue this evening, I got a notification that my SD card is "read-only". Camera won't work, ALL of my apps that are stored on the SD card are unaccessible. Computer won't recognize Evo when plugged in and in USB mode. Hoping maybe this is a setting that inadvertently got tripped or something. I reset the phone, removed and reinserted the SD card, but still no access! Again...any hep would be greatly appreciated!

tjsongman :-)

What happen to the original SD card that came with the phone? Have you tried using that one to see if the SD card is the culprit.

You have up 29 days to exchange or return the phone. If you believe the problem is the phone... then I'd suggest you exchange it before then.

Good luck.

Nope, it's not the phone, it's the card. Have a launch-day EVO that never had any problems until I, too, got the same Patriot 32GB Class-"10" card as the OP. Was in the middle of updating a number of apps that were stored on my SD Card when I got the same "remounted read-only" issue (which means there was an I/O error on the card and the device has turned off writing 'till the next reboot to protect the card contents).

I shut down the phone, put the card into a reader on a computer and ran a chkdsk on it, and when that passed put it back into the phone, making sure it was seated fully. No problems since, but I've been on the lookout for issues.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by kcrudup View Post
    Nope, it's not the phone, it's the card. Have a launch-day EVO that never had any problems until I, too, got the same Patriot 32GB Class-"10" card as the OP. Was in the middle of updating a number of apps that were stored on my SD Card when I got the same "remounted read-only" issue (which means there was an I/O error on the card and the device has turned off writing 'till the next reboot to protect the card contents).

I shut down the phone, put the card into a reader on a computer and ran a chkdsk on it, and when that passed put it back into the phone, making sure it was seated fully. No problems since, but I've been on the lookout for issues.
    Thanks for the reply! It was the SD card for sure. I put it in the reader and put it in my computer. Computer couldn't access files either! ran scandisk and it found & repaired errors. Seems to be working fine now, but may exchange the SDHC card anyway since I am within the return window. Thanks again!!

Hrmph. Guess what happened to me again this afternoon?! ... I got my card from NewEgg, and since I paid with AmEx, one way or another I'm sending this card back and getting a refund. I've had 8 and 16-GB cards in this phone and none of 'em have ever had to remount read-only 'till now.

It's kind of my fault, I'd seen where someone in the NewEgg reviews had said it was happening to them, but I just dismissed it as a one-off issue.

Carrier
    Arctic Hd

If I recall correctly they don't recommended using a SD card over 16gigs in most phone that are available now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by kcrudup View Post
    Hrmph. Guess what happened to me again this afternoon?! ... I got my card from NewEgg, and since I paid with AmEx, one way or another I'm sending this card back and getting a refund. I've had 8 and 16-GB cards in this phone and none of 'em have ever had to remount read-only 'till now.

It's kind of my fault, I'd seen where someone in the NewEgg reviews had said it was happening to them, but I just dismissed it as a one-off issue.
    WOW! You two, huh?!? Thought it was fine, but later this evening it did it again! Took it back to Fry's and exchanged it for another one. If THIS on fails, I WILL be looking for another brand!!! :-/
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by dumpedduce View Post
    If I recall correctly they don't recommended using a SD card over 16gigs in most phone that are available now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I agree with the "most phones" statement. However, HTC CLEARLY states that the Evo 4G supports 32GB Micro SD cards. It was one of the selling points, so I REALLY hope this is not an issue.

Plus, it's apparently happening to only one brand of Micro-SD card, the Patriot LX Class 10 32GB.
    LMO

Carrier
    ICS | Jellybean

Default Re: SD Card Suddenly "read-only" :'(

Just came across this thread.. this sounds like the problems I started having on my Xoom after buying a 32GB microSD card! It is not just one brand either. This is happening on a PNY and a Lexar (I ended up ordering 2 by mistake). I will give my old 16GB card a try again, to see if the issues disappear.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Virus Synergy W / 3.0

Here I thought it was my phone! Glad I am not the only one with the same card, and the same issue. Strange thing is I have had this card a year and just now this is happening. Guess I will be getting another brand as well. Any one have a recommendation?
    LMO

Carrier
    ICS | Jellybean

Active_Matrix, which brand card to you have? Is it 32GB?

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Virus Synergy W / 3.0

Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I have the Patriot 32gb class 10 as well! I just ordered the PNY class 10 32gb since it got good reviews on newegg!