What a HTC rep has to say about Sense 2.0 and Gingerbread

onixblack

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I recently contacted HTC and Sprint about any possible updates to my EVO 4G here's what they have to say

Dear (MY NAME),

Good question, (MY NAME). I would be more than happy to provide you with as much insight as I can.

All I can really say for sure is that the Evo is going to get an update of some sort to, at the very least, address a few issues with the last update (streaming media, battery life, and a few other problems that have arisen). I have a feeling that this may end up taking a while, since we're thoroughly investigating the battery drain issue, and we want to make sure that it's 100% resolved, prior to releasing another update for the phone. You can, however, follow us on facebook (HTC | Facebook) and twitter (HTC (htc) on Twitter). Once that Evo update is ready, we'll definately make an annoucement through both of these websites, as well as HTC.com.

Will this update contain the the latest Sense UI update? It's tough to say, a lot of carriers prefer not to share a full list of enhancements with our technical support reps, as they prefer to go for the surprize approach. I would imagine that with the Evo being Sprint's first 4G phone that in order to remain competative with Verizon's Thunderbolt and AT&T's Inspire, I can only really _guess_ that the Evo will eventually see the latest Sense UI (not only that, but speaking from personal experience, the Evo is the phone that we recieve the most request for the latest Sense UI). Bottom line, though; this is something left up to Sprint. We've forwarded many suggestions and many requests for this enhancement, so Sprint knows that interest for this exists.

Can't make any promises, but from what I've seen, I remain optimistic. ;)

Thank you for taking the time to contact us, (MY NAME).

We are always happy to be of assistance. Keep in mind that we are here to answer any questions or concerns between 6am to 1am EST, 7 days a week for your convenience. You may also visit us at HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs and Site URL not found for further assistance.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number (MY TICKET NUMBER).

Sincerely,

(THE PERSONS NAME)

HTC

EDIT: I also asked about Gingerbread but she dodged my question

So far I have yet to get a response from Sprint

onixblack

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I does make we me wonder but whenever I talk to one group they push me to another. Im still waiting for sprint to contact me. I think that we should bombard Sprint and HTC with request, to show that people want gingerbread and Sense 2.0

Reactions: mattchew86

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Do you honestly think these customer service reps know? Let alone willing to just tell anyone. They are not going to, and that is why we never see blogs about upcoming updates. They are secret and only the higher up people know what's coming. I have already spoken to my sources and it is being worked on. So let's stop with the discussion and digging. It will come..

Reactions: jimmie9133

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
That's (kinda) good to hear. Puts my mind at ease, if only for the time being.

I do think that, given how popular the Evo is, and how very outspoken the Android community is ;), that there might be some stock to the reps statement.

I'm more interested in Gingerbread than Sense 2.0. I've seen it on the Shift and it's nice, but not that impressive.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't buy it. They want to push their new line of phones and I take this as nothing more than a pat on the head to attempt to quiet the crowd. They have no obligation nor legal responsibility to push updates so if it happens great, but I have crossed over to the root group so I don't have to wait for the empire to decide we're worthy of new features.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't buy it. They want to push their new line of phones and I take this as nothing more than a pat on the head to attempt to quiet the crowd. They have no obligation nor legal responsibility to push updates so if it happens great, but I have crossed over to the root group so I don't have to wait for the empire to decide we're worthy of new features.

That statement would be a very good one if the HTC Evo and Evo Shift were not Sprint's flagship HTC devices. They are, and Sprint will push these updates since the Evo line is their baby and like VZW's Droid lineup.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It is bogus that it is being held off or even dodging a real answer to the question, but i will agree in the initiall text from the OP, about that Sprint will need to get the Evo updated to stay competative with the competition that is coming out there.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Fake.

He posted this on XDA as well.

Edit: HTC is good about updating phones. I wouldn't worry. They're the best when it comes to keeping up with Google. I wouldn't buy this BS though.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Except they have new unreleased devices that will be their focus after this announcement next week

No speculation to new HTC devices coming to Sprint, considering they just released the Shift. Every HTC device that has been leaked is going to other carriers. Now tomorrow Sprint could announce a HTC device, but if they do, I see it being a tablet.

onixblack

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Fake.

He posted this on XDA as well.

Edit: HTC is good about updating phones. I wouldn't worry. They're the best when it comes to keeping up with Google. I wouldn't buy this BS though.

What the hell are you talking about. I don't even have an XDA account....

Karadax

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Everyone under the sun purchased an EVO hence re-up'd their contracts for a year upwards. To "lock and drop" customers with their less than a year old "flagship" phone is tough to fathom.

The EVO will stay up to date (with perhaps longer waits for the updates over time) until probably 6 months prior to the 2 year mark. We will all jump ship to the next big thing.

Two years is a long time to wait, but how long did everyone cling to their Pre/Pixi before the EVO ?

If you need to have the latest and the greatest, you can't stay with the EVO. This phone is planned to, pardon the pun, evolve slowly until its time for us all to eat up the next Sprint laced brownie.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463