It does what I want, so I'm preserving until quadcore

tyrelian

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I can't lie, I'm a instant shopper when I see a good product, and when the evo came out it had everything I wanted hardware and software wise, now because of the market were in, tons of innovations are coming week by week it seems, with that in mind and having the knowledge of Orion, tegra 3,and my personal favourite the ARMADA 628 why would I keep paying out money for a speed bump here and there, if I'm spending money on a new device I want to see a complete change in hardware/software performance. My Evo gets the job done and I am in love with the superAMOLEDplus and new tegras and LGs design and Googles new software,but instead of shelling out cash on every new "feature" ill just keep my 3500 seidio battery and Seidio extended rugged case combo pack. Hopefully I can hold out long enough until my "instant shopper sense" kicks in again.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jprins68

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I love my Evo and still think that it is one of (if not the) best phones available on the market many months after being launched. The only thing that makes me want to get a new phone is the sub-par graphical performance of the Snapdragon w/ Adreno 200 GPU. This is the only weak spot of the phone in my opinion (except the battery, which can easily be upgraded). This is the only thing that is really making me want a new phone after we see what goodies are in store for us after MWC and CTIA.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
We're kind of on a plateau right now. Incremental increases and such. Dual core and a 4g rollout that rivals the footprint of 3g is what will really make a difference, but even then we're going to need battery tech to improve, otherwise we'll be looking at a machine that's super fast but only useful for a couple hours at best. We're already turning off everything we can and downloading apps in an attempt to eek out as much life as possible...which kind of defeats the purpose of having a smart phone.

Anyway, I'm with you, OP, in that I'll be fine with the phone I have for quite a while.

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I feel the same way. We have gotten to the point where the software is out-pacing the hardware. The seat of your pants feeling is the Evo is still fast. I don't play a lot of games (Angry Birds and Worms play fast and smooth) so I don't need the next greatest benchmarked phone.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I think it's the other way around. We don't really have apps or games that strain what devices we already have. These apps are still quite simple, and our phones have the same processing power as laptops did just a decade ago. Laptops always have run significantly more intensive programs...even back when they had the same specs as our phones.

Not that I'm complaining...I like that my phone has computer specifications yet only has to run small, efficient applications. That's what makes it such a smooth, speedy experience.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been with Sprint long enough that I still have annual upgrades under the new system, and I doubt quadcore phones will be out and in the stores before Spring 2012 at the earliest. So I'll go ahead and get an updated phone when I'm eligible this June. That assumes that a worthwhile upgrade is available, which I'm assuming will happen (I'm thinking dual core, more RAM, an incrementally better screen, various other incremental increases such as (possibly) lighter weight, more efficient battery use, trickle charging problem solved). And hopefully will go to quad core in Summer 2012 after enjoying a year with a better phone. And of course my trusty EVO will still be available as a backup!

onixblack

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
1. I cant afford to change phones all the time
2. I agree waiting for a possible EVO 3 or an equivalent on sprint before I buy

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
trickle charging problem solved).

Um, i googled this and all i saw was "tip n tricks" to get around this. But these were older articles.

If i get an Evo this late in the game, is this still an issue? I am a perpetual charger type of user so this would totally suck monkey balls.

I plan on rooting (to get things like the free wifi tether) but keeping a mostly stock phone however.

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Cell phone hardware, at least in the high end, is reaching the point that computers got to around 2007 with Intel's release of the Conroe architecture. In my computer I built a few years back, I have a Q6600 which was released 4 years ago and with the exception of highly intensive video or audio encoding, no software comes close to taxing it's power.

Hardware speed is growing faster than software is becoming intensive. Yes, there will always be software pushing the boundaries, but I'm talking about the 95% majority of users who aren't gaming, and we're not doing video and audio encoding on these devices.

Another way to look at it is to find the bottleneck. If I had to speculate, it's the NAND controller that controls read/write access.

The Evo, even right now and for the foreseeable 2 year future, will not ever be or feel slow. The hardware even now outpaces the software enough that it'll last through someone's upgrade cycle.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
There are so many things that I haven't even done yet with this phone. I'm not ready to give my evo up any time soon. What can these other phones do that my Evo cannot do?

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I love my EVO!
EVO has been out for awhile now. Still one of if not the best phone out there. One of the main reasons SPRInT had an increase in contract subscribers!

With the support the development community has for the EVO. I don't see it becoming obsolete for the next year or two!
And not everyone wants to game on their phone. I can see these graphic intense games needing dual/quad/ milquad:b) costing the same as a reg playstation or x box game. Why else would someone want to put that amount of time in development for $5 payback?.

Any way. I am very happy. And for the first time in a long time (been with Sprint for 11 years) I have found a phone that I can't see leaving.. That is unless Sprint switches to LTE. Wimax roll out news seems to have died lately.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Um, i googled this and all i saw was "tip n tricks" to get around this. But these were older articles.

If i get an Evo this late in the game, is this still an issue? I am a perpetual charger type of user so this would totally suck monkey balls.

I plan on rooting (to get things like the free wifi tether) but keeping a mostly stock phone however.

Although I put it in my laundry list, I don't find it a major issue. I suspect it costs me a few percent after being plugged in overnight. When I think about it, I unplug my phone for a couple of minutes and surf first thing each morning. After checking CNN headlines I plug it back in to top off while I do my morning necessities before taking it to work. But even if I fail to do this, the worst that's ever happened is that I've seen a drop of a few percent soon after going to work that seems unexpectedly large. Easily fixed by plugging in at my work putter.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
With CM7 and some tweaked settings the EVO battery isn't a problem at all. I do want a better graphics chip because some games have a hard time playing. My upgrade is in September so I might also hold out for quad core. However, Sprint is the last to get going with dual core so who knows.

Sent from my HTC EVO with Tapatalk Pro