Swype Keyboard question

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If you have the latest OTA update from Sprint and HTC, go to any text field (a text message is an easy one) and touch and hold in the text window until a new window appears. Select "Input method" from that window and you should have "Swype" as one of your options. Just pick it from the list and you'll have it running.

Reactions: DulceSugar

qblackman

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to disable the pop that says 'tips: previously hidden word....to delete....."
That pop up is the only thing I dislike about swipe.
Thanks

philby

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I just looked at Swype forums, and its a known "issue". They know it frustrates people, and have promised to address it in their next BETA release. Hopefully that will extend to those of us who have it preinstalled as well (either stock or custom ROM).

A separate option to toggle those popups, or perhaps an "ignore forever" option when a specific instance occurs would be sufficient for me!

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I noticed when I had the latest beta version of Swype I rarely if ever had the annoying pop up, now with the native version of Swype after the update, I get the annoying pop up all the time.......grrrrrr I hate it!

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Ultra Keyboard has a MUCH better way of doing it. The Swype thing makes me freakin mental. There are a lot of times when I want to abbreviate on sms or even in an email. Great that it picks it up, but damn, who wants to be stopped every time it sees one of my "short words"?

Pain. Plus the "highlight and hit the S" is a mega PITA and cumbersome way of fixing it. And worse, yet, my "shortie" is no longer in there for the next sms.

The Beta was better.

bj

Reactions: qblackman

philby

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Ultra Keyboard has a MUCH better way of doing it. The Swype thing makes me freakin mental. There are a lot of times when I want to abbreviate on sms or even in an email. Great that it picks it up, but damn, who wants to be stopped every time it sees one of my "short words"?

Pain. Plus the "highlight and hit the S" is a mega PITA and cumbersome way of fixing it. And worse, yet, my "shortie" is no longer in there for the next sms.

The Beta was better.

bj

Are you saying "highlight and hit the S" is a PITA way of "fixing" the popup, or just a PITA way to remove a word from the dictionary in general.

I find it much more convenient when removing from custom dictionary than going into settings, keyboard, KB of choice, custom dictionary and finding the word and deleting it. But yes it's not a good option for stopping that pop-up...

BigWhittt

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I fixed my issue with it!

I rooted with unrEVOked and installed CyanogenMod from ROMManager, directly from the phone. Then reinstalled Swype from the newest beta release, and it works like a charm. :D

Also, the whole process of rooting took no time and all and seemed to me a lot easier than half--no, ALL of the processes listed...

qblackman

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
re:I rooted with unrEVOked and installed CyanogenMod from ROMManager, directly from the phone.

^^ Glad you fixed it, I'm about to do a search and figure out what you just said...