Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Default Deleting Native Apps on a Sprint EVO

Can anyone tell me how to, or if I even can, delete the native apps that came with the phone (i.e., Blockbuster Video, Footprints, Friend Steam, Etc)?

Please and Thank You
    Sincerely,
    Chris Loomis Consultations
    -A Private Investigations Firm-
    P.O. Box 660351
    Arcadia, CA 91006 USA (GMT -8)
    (626) 230-3137 Office
    www.clcpi.com
    CA PI # 24384

To Read Articles Written By Chris Loomis Go To:
    http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/73...loomis_pi.html
    Banned

Yep...gotta' get root...I was going to leave mine stock, but, the newest update gave me kindle, BB, and some other crap I don't want. Might as well delete them

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Deleting them will ensure that you NEVER get another update on your phone.

After rooting what you need to do is freeze them with an app like my own Bloat Freezer or Titanium Backup Premium. Freezing them makes them invisible to your phone so that they do not run using up memory, CPU, and data and makes it looks just like they are deleted, but allows you to defrost so that you can still get updates in the future or just restore them because you decided you actually wanted to use one.

Deleting just ONE system app can prevent you from getting OTA updates on your phone unless you put the APK back and then correctly set the UNIX permissions.

You can hide them with Launcherpro, too.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by Tre Lawrence View Post
    You can hide them with Launcherpro, too.
    Very true, but they are (some of them) still starting on their own, running in the background, taking up memory, using up battery, and sometimes even downloading data.
    Banned

But if you root your phone do you really care about OTA upgrades? The devs always seem to make these available to us rooted folks, and in a timely manner as well. I'm already running Gingerbread (CM7 nightlies) , so I guess I don't care about the OTA's so much anymore.

ROM
    Team Venom v1.2

Also you can't just delete anything. Some apps are vital for your OS. Deleting the wrong things may break you phone.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by pigfqr View Post
    But if you root your phone do you really care about OTA upgrades? The devs always seem to make these available to us rooted folks, and in a timely manner as well. I'm already running Gingerbread (CM7 nightlies) , so I guess I don't care about the OTA's so much anymore.
    True, running a custom ROM means OTAs arent needed.

However with the stock ROM, if you are rooted, you can just take the OTA like normal if you freeze, if you delete you have to wait for the rooted, upgraded ROM to be released and flash it, resetting your phone to stock and losing all your apps and settings.

That is why I wrote Bloat Freezer, it just makes things super easy for us that are rooted and running the stock ROM that want to kill the bloat.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by modplan View Post

That is why I wrote Bloat Freezer, it just makes things super easy for us that are rooted and running the stock ROM that want to kill the bloat.
    And THAT is EXACTLY what I'M looking for....

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by FatalErrorz View Post
    Excellent, you know who to contact if you have any issues, questions, or suggestions about Bloat Freezer

Quote Originally Posted by FatalErrorz View Post
    Ditto

Excellent, you know who to contact if you have any issues, questions, or suggestions about Bloat Freezer
    I saw "Bloat Freezer - Root" from Trey Holland in the market, I am guessing that is you.
    Do you have a demo our trial version? I saw a couple of reviews that started this app put their phone into a boot cycle, and they were unable to uninstall before the 15 min trial period. I am very interested in this app but would hate to blow $$ if it won't work.

BTW I have an EVO with latest OTA and root with unrevokedł.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by jfultz14976 View Post
    Ditto

I saw "Bloat Freezer - Root" from Trey Holland in the market, I am guessing that is you.
    Do you have a demo our trial version? I saw a couple of reviews that started this app put their phone into a boot cycle, and they were unable to uninstall before the 15 min trial period. I am very interested in this app but would hate to blow $$ if it won't work.

BTW I have an EVO with latest OTA and root with unrevokedł.
    Havent heard of anyone going into a boot loop?

But yes that is my app. You also have the same phone and setup as I do. Anyone that is having problems after the first 15 mins that has contacted me has either had their problems solved or I gave them a refund manually, and it has really only happened about 3 times out of almost 1,000 customers. I have a team of almost 20 beta testers that help me make sure there are virtually no issues with the app.

Interesting... will check it out.

Havent heard of anyone going into a boot loop?

But yes that is my app. You also have the same phone and setup as I do. Anyone that is having problems after the first 15 mins that has contacted me has either had their problems solved or I gave them a refund manually, and it has really only happened about 3 times out of almost 1,000 customers. I have a team of almost 20 beta testers that help me make sure there are virtually no issues with the app.
    Thank you for the response, I will try it out!

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by Tre Lawrence View Post
    Interesting... will check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfultz14976 View Post
    Thank you for the response, I will try it out!
    Great, feel free to PM me or email me with any issues or questions or anything.