Pre3 vs. Evo2

Pre3 vs. "Evo 2"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
So if the Pre3 came out for Sprint this summer, and a sequal to the Evo, would all you previous Pre owners or anyone interested think about switching?

I really enjoy webOS and would get this as my daily driver, although i would probably have one or two android phones/tablets at all times.

1.4 Ghz will let webOS scream speed and we can also infer that the "Evo 2" will have a faster preprocessor.

Post thoughts here.

Last edited:

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Definitely would go with the Evo2! Why? Well, when webOS 2.2 comes along (in about 2015) HP will says "sorry Pre3 users you can't upgrade your phone, you have to buy a new device in order to get the next version of the OS."

HP sucks the big one, they just screwed 99% of their customers and the only ones left will be the dyed in the wool phan boys.

ccontard

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, NOT interested.

I don't want a Pre^3, but I don't necessarily want to say "Android for life!", either (though that's what I voted since it best captures my opinion). I mean, I love Android and I love my Evo, but I always like to evaluate my options at any given time.

That said, the Pre^3 is barely competitive with the CURRENT Evo, and if my previous Pre is any indication, the thing will be poorly built with awful battery life. It's a shame, as webOS is simply excellent, but HP STILL can't bring the hardware to back it up. I mean, the processor is much-improved, but I didn't see anything about the RAM. That's a big part of what crippled the first-generation Pre.

This is an OS that deserves a good-size screen and hardware worthy of flame decals, not warmed-over designs and knockoffs of established devices (TouchPad vs. iPad). At the very least, it should have been equipped with 4G of some sort, though I'll leave the WiMAX/LTE/HSPA+ debate on that one up to others...

Today's "Think Beyond (HP to devices worth my money)" event made me even more sure that I was right to part ways with webOS, and it made me realize that the two webOS devices I still have on my account should not be long for this world. It's a shame, but HP is really stuck in "too little, too late" mode now.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Ridiculous comparison. EVO 2 doesn't even exist yet. How can you put them side-by-side. Also, just a tip, asking such questions in the EVO section is going get you nowhere. People here might be just a tad biased to say the least.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
HTC has never let me down. The PRE, on the other hand, was nothing but a let down. WebOS was awesome but it never had the HW to support it. The stuff showcased today will undoubtedly run WebOS better than any other HW Palm/HP has released, but I'm not ready for another round of dissapointment when HTC delivers the good every time. I'm not saying Android for life either, but until they (HP/Palm) can make a handset that doesn't break when you plug in the headset (my wife is on her 4th one now because of this), I'm sticking with HTC.

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about bias, the poll is looking pretty close to me. ;)

Is that a joke? Exit polls show show almost a 50 point margin. I loved my Pre. I know for a fact that I personally got 15 people switch to Sprint. Out of those, 4 got the Pre. 1 person still has it (for now). It doesn't compare.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Ridiculous comparison. EVO 2 doesn't even exist yet. How can you put them side-by-side. Also, just a tip, asking such questions in the EVO section is going get you nowhere. People here might be just a tad biased to say the least.

true it does not exist... but based on the other new HTC phones that will be released (thunderbolt) and HTC still has till june to deliver a new evo. we can make a guess. It will be pretty good.

also.. you can also say.. most ex-Pre owner jumped to android. and most were on sprint.. so you can make a case that .. the majority got the EVO or EPIC. I dont see it being wrong to place he question here. Yes.. we are a little bias.

But you being so smart...
Where would you put it? in the WebOS forum??? asking if they will stay with webos??

ashakouri1

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I see that can hurt Android is the updates that Google Releases.

I know it is ironic, because HP just said that the original Pre will not got WebOS 2.0. But aside from this fact, the updates that did come out were OTA to all the phones. But in Android we have to wait for the code to be released by Google, and then wait for HTC/Motorola/Samsung to add their skin and release it. Not to mention the fact that it was only after intense criticism that Samsung released 2.2 at all for some of their devices.

I just think that later on it will be a bigger issue, unless it is address by Google. There is ETA for Gingerbread for any devices, and we are now hearing of 2.4 being released. It sucks that updates take so long to come out after they are released, i.e. the SMS bug was recently fixed on Google stock phones, but when will it be fixed for HTC phones?

The fact that updates take such a long time, if at all is the one major downside for Android. Palm had been good with releasing updates to all phones on all the networks, and that was because they controlled the Hardware and Software.

And I don't want to defend the choice of not releasing WebOS 2.0 for the original devices, as I think it is unfair and under UCC provisions I think Palm might have some legal troubles, as they promised flash and so many other functionality that weren't delivered and won't be now. But the Pre is now more than 1.5 years old, and HP does have to focus on the future. It is the same for iOS and Android...you can't expect phones that are two years old to get Froyo or Gingerbread, or have "multitasking" in iOS

4cdndctn

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Simple to me; I really liked the WebOS UI because a touch or two could get you to basically any destination, it's very intuitive. If future Android versions learn from that, which I think they will, I will long forget about WebOS. There are already a few launchers and menus out there that show more promise than WebOS.
The Evo is a fantastic piece of hardware, I doubt the 2 will disappoint.
My guess is I'll be going Evo2.

jdub__

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
The Spec aren't that mind blowing on the Pre3... AND IT LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE OTHER VERSION! haha

WebOS, in my opinion, is the best mobile OS out there BUT the lack of quality hardware updates and the buffoons over at HP will keep me here with my EVO and the Android OS.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I was an owner of the original Pre, bought mine about a week after release, and had owned Palm devices, including Treo, since the Palm V, so I have good prior credentials as a Palm Fanboy.

The Pre 3 specs I've seen look like the hardware still is going to be marginal for a newly released phone. And I had enough slider troubles with Pre to cure me of wanting to own another slider. And finally, after owning a phone with a huge screen, I never again want anything smaller, even the size increase from 3 to 3.5 inches doesn't impress me.

I hope WebOS is a success, but not sure it well be after the losses of key staff during Palm's troubles.

Finally, the coverage I've seen suggests the Palm 3 is headed to Verizon rather than Sprint, at least initially. I'm locked into Sprint by both contract and my own plan preference. So I don't see me going back to Palm, even though I nurtured that hope when I bought my Evo last summer.

Sent from my Sprint EVO using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chuckl

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I got rid of my Pre because of was tired of seeing apps released for iOS and Android and nothing for the Pre. I don't think that is going to change much now, no matter what they release.

I'll stick with Android.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree. I loved my Pre and thought it had the best operating system out there, still do, but it doesn't have the developer support so I'll stick with Android.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
After watching some of the hands-on videos of the Pre 3, I think it actually looks like a great piece of hardware. It's only problem is that it's about a year behind schedule. This is exactly what Palm should have been introducing a year ago. If it had a 4" screen and 4G, I would definitely consider getting one. It also needs a better battery. 1350 mAh is slightly better than the original Pre, but the Pre 3 is also going to use more power.

Now that Palm is no more and it's now all HP, I also think they should have significantly changed the look of the phone and dropped the Pre name. This would better reflect the brand change. As it is right now, it just looks like the same old Palm Pre from 2 years ago with an HP logo slapped on it, and that's exactly what people are going to think when they see in in a store.

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
<flame>

Epic FAIL!

They needed to come out with a black slab with a 4" screen. Instead they put out 2 more small toys.

</flame>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC