easy method to setup HTC mail client for gmail push

evo-user99

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and could use some advice. I did try a search but could not find what I am looking for.

Is there a simple way to set the HTC mail client app on my Evo to where it behaves just like the gmail app? Emails appear as they are recieved, rather than refreshing at set intervals? I prefer the push functionality of the gmail app, with the look and feel of the HTC client - but only want to use the HTC for my gmail account.

I tried setting the server address to m.google.com as suggested on some other threads but it did not work.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thank you

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I believe in this case you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The Gmail app is on a "push" setup, where the HTC mail app only checks at a specified frequency. This has been the biggest complaint about the HTC mail app compared to the mail app on a Blackberry.

You may have luck using another mail app like K9, but I have no experience with them personally. I only use my Gmail app and don't use the HTC mail one.

Reactions: evo-user99

k425

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Here is how to setup push Gmail on the HTC Mail app but there are a few bugs and a workaround...

In the HTC Mail app select Menu then New Account
Select Exchange ActiveSync and use the settings below:
Gmail Exchange ActiveSync server address: m.google.com
Gmail Exchange ActiveSync domain: google
Gmail Exchange ActiveSync user name: Your full Gmail address (ex. your name@gmail.com)
Gmail Exchange ActiveSync password: Your Gmail password
Gmail Exchange ActiveSync TLS/SSL required: yes
You can also access Gmail using POP3 or IMAP, and send using SMTP.

And now the bugs:
You'll get an error when forwarding sent messages.
Error (Corrupt File) on most if not all email attachments.

And the workaround:
To work around this error you could setup your Gmail as above Exchange Activesync and then also setup a duplicate of your Gmail account as an IMAP account so you would get push notifications from the Exchange Activesync account and then you could go into the IMAP version of your Gmail account when you need to view attachments or forward mail. This works for me!

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and could use some advice. I did try a search but could not find what I am looking for.

Is there a simple way to set the HTC mail client app on my Evo to where it behaves just like the gmail app? Emails appear as they are recieved, rather than refreshing at set intervals? I prefer the push functionality of the gmail app, with the look and feel of the HTC client - but only want to use the HTC for my gmail account.

I tried setting the server address to m.google.com as suggested on some other threads but it did not work.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thank you

Inherently, the Sense mail app won't ever be like the Gmail app. No threaded conversations!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac