Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 2.3? when and if?

hey yall. ok i havent been around in awhile and i got an ipad so i have been messing with that quite a bit,anyways,any info on 2.3 for the evo? i know the evo has kind of taken a back seat to all the new stuff. but i still love this phone. so...will we be getting it soon? lemme know what yall think.

ROM
    Team Venom v1.2

Don't know when the ota is coming. However there is a rooted version.

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

I'm not holding my breath for it. I'd love the upgrade but I think we would have had it by now.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    975 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9...on both devices

From what I've read around here on AC and over at XDA is that devices like the EVO, DroidX and so on wont see an official 2.3 update. What we're waiting for is the 2.4 update. Its suppose to be a more friendly update for single core devices. Search the front page of AC, if I remember right that's where I read it first. But like someone mentioned above, there are a few custom ROMs based off of 2.3. And I'm sure more are to come.
    Devices: Samsung Galaxy SII Epic Touch 4G
    Samsung Galaxy10.1 16gb, Wifi
    Banned

A new Sense UI would be ok, but isn't "needed" by me. The Evo does everything I ask it to do. A longer-lasting battery would be nice.

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhilly View Post
    From what I've read around here on AC and over at XDA is that devices like the EVO, DroidX and so on wont see an official 2.3 update. What we're waiting for is the 2.4 update. Its suppose to be a more friendly update for single core devices. Search the front page of AC, if I remember right that's where I read it first. But like someone mentioned above, there are a few custom ROMs based off of 2.3. And I'm sure more are to come.
    Friendly for Single-core devices? No it adds dual-core support. Really nothing else, but Google is trying it's best to help the fragmentation.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

wow id love 2.4...of course id love any update at this point.lol

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Most likely seeing that the new HTC devices are getting 2.4. If HTC and Sprint decide to update the EVO, it will most likely be 2.4. From talking to multiple Sprint sources, the talks went dead when the 2.4 thing came about. Before that numerous sources had said to me Gingerbread for the EVO was being worked on. After the announcement of 2.4, the talks went dead.

Quote Originally Posted by droidweasel View Post
    hey yall. ok i havent been around in awhile and i got an ipad so i have been messing with that quite a bit,anyways,any info on 2.3 for the evo? i know the evo has kind of taken a back seat to all the new stuff. but i still love this phone. so...will we be getting it soon? lemme know what yall think.
    I spoke to a HTC rep and was told that Gingerbread will be out soon(no specific date was mentioned). I don't know what to say on that - however, I'm optimistic that we will be getting an update pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rushrl View Post
    I spoke to a HTC rep and was told that Gingerbread will be out soon(no specific date was mentioned). I don't know what to say on that - however, I'm optimistic that we will be getting an update pretty soon.
    Excellent.

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Can't wait to have something new to play with on my phone

Do we know what 2.3/4 is going to offer? Or are we just greedy for updates?

I wonder if the news about the infected apps in the marketplace will accelerate the release?

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Quote Originally Posted by rushrl View Post
    How did you come into contact with this rep? I'm now getting conflicting reports from my sources at HTC and Sprint.

Please update HTC. That SMS "bug" worries the hell out of me. lol.

You know...you big wigs tie me into a 2 year contract then leave my device in the dust? Thats one of the reasons i left HP/Palm. Get it together!
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE- > HTC Evo / BB Bold > Nexus S 4G

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    Please update HTC. That SMS "bug" worries the hell out of me. lol.

You know...you big wigs tie me into a 2 year contract then leave my device in the dust? Thats one of the reasons i left HP/Palm. Get it together!
    That issue was only in 2.3 I believe. It was a Nexus S bug.

I just want sense 2.0, that's all.
    Galaxy nexus!

Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 2.3.4

This and Skype

Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    I just want sense 2.0, that's all.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

And skype!

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk/Swype

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

Root, then flash this...

[ROM] Warm Z TwoPointTwo - [RLS 1 - 02/23/2011] - Yabba Dabba Doo - xda-developers

...nice! Sense 2.0 has some cool stuff in it, but so does GB. Looks like someone got the ROM image for the HTC Wildfire. This is a ROM with Android 2.3 and Sense 2.1. I am expecting a fresh new EVO ROM to hit any day now...

[DEV] Android 2.3.2 with Sense 2.1 (Huashan & Wildfire S ROMs) - xda-developers
    -Stay thirsty my friends.

Global Posts
    404 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Do we know what 2.3/4 is going to offer? Or are we just greedy for updates?
    There are some things that will be useless for the Evo, while others that will beneficial.

Things I remember reading about that can actually be used on the Evo:
    • Native support for multiple cameras.
      Developers like Qik, Fring, etc. no longer need to create phone-specific apps for each one that has a front-facing camera, but can use what's available in Gingerbread to have one app that will work with all phones that have FFC.
    • Improved stock keyboard.
      I haven't actually tried this, since I'm used to Swype now, but it's supposed to be a lot better than before. The developers community have actually gotten it from ROMs and made it work for Froyo, you can download them from the market and try it out, if you'd like.
    • Improved copy-paste functions.
    • Updated UI.
      For instance, apps in the app drawer have a "cascading" effect, for lack of a better term. Do a Google image search for "gingerbread app drawer" and you'll see what I mean.

New feature that will have no effect on the Evo:
    • Near field communication.
    • Support for higher resolutions.
    • Native support for more sensors.

And here are updates that I found through a search:
    • Native support for SIP VoIP.
    • Support for WebM/VP8 video and AAC audio.
    • New audio effects.
    • Enhanced support for native code development.
    • Audio, graphical, and input enhancements for game developers.
    • Concurrent garbage collection for improved performance.
    • Download manager.
    • Improved power management.
    • Switch from YAFFS to ext4 filesystem.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    How did you come into contact with this rep? I'm now getting conflicting reports from my sources at HTC and Sprint.
    @splmonster, Any updates from your sources at HTC/Sprint on the Gingerbread update?

The way I am seeing it is this: The new 2.3.3 version of Gingerbread is what was going to be called 2.4. Rather than jump to 2.4, they just went with 2.3.3. Here's why:

Android 2.2 - API Level 8
    Android 2.3 - API Level 9
    Android 2.3.3 - API Level 10
    Android 3.0 - API Level 11
    (Reference: Android SDK | Android Developers)

It wouldn't make sense to add in Android 2.4 after Android 3.0. I'm betting 2.3.3 is the final version of Gingerbread that was going to be called 2.4.

Now that the EVO 3D has been announced, when/if can we expect Gingerbread for the original EVO?
    Banned

If you don't mind giving up Sense, just root and go with Cyanogen Mod 7. I've been running Gingerbread for a month or so. The latest nightly releases are ready for prime time in my opinion. I haven't been having any issues. Rooting really isn't as scary as it sounds. It was quick and easy, and fun, especially if you are one of those people who love to play with electronic toys. Pretty much like getting a new phone.

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Here ya go.. Looks official and that it will come to the EVO 4G.

Android 2.3, aka Gingerbread, Heading to the Evo 4G and other HTC Devices
    Thanked by 2:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast