Where did all my text msgs go??

kidfaces

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So yesterday I went to send a text message and ALL of my messages were gone. I use handcent so I went into the stock message app and they're all gone from there as well. Any idea why this has happened? :'(

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Your phone only keeps so many messages based on a setting and then it deletes them, but it shouldn't wipe all of them out.

Did you happen to go on a cache / program data clearing spree in your: Settings > Applications menu?

kidfaces

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I try not to spree too much in my settings for fear that something like this might happen, so no. And I know it will keep only so many before it deletes the older ones but ALL of them? That doesn't seem right.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree that I don't think it should delete all of them, and I don't think it ever happened to me before I was rooted and running a custom ROM. Now I don't know that I run a ROM long enough to generate a list of text messages that long.

BTW, you could always get a Google Voice # and use that for your text messages and they will be backed up with your Google account. The only downsides are having to give all of your contacts a new number to text and it doesn't do MMS.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me a few months ago. I opened up the messaging app/Handcent and everything was gone. I have no idea what caused it.

It didn't really bother me as there was nothing important but I am a little leery that something like this would happen.

Corsair

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I had something similar happen to me back in November. I was using the stock messaging app. Opened it up and everything was gone. Only thing I can figure out is that Google Translate had been updated that day. Don't know if that caused it.

I started using Handcent after that. I haven't had a problem since then, but who knows.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Handcent has tons of issues. I dont suggest anyone uses it. Every day it seems Im working on an android device that has handcent, or some task killer, and or anti virus on it, and ofcourse th device is not working properly..

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Handcent has tons of issues. I dont suggest anyone uses it. Every day it seems Im working on an android device that has handcent, or some task killer, and or anti virus on it, and ofcourse th device is not working properly..

I disagree. I've used Handcent since Day 1 and have never had an issue. I don't run custom ROMs or task killers. My EVO runs perfectly.

"The more you overwork the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." --Scotty

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Issues like what? I've been using it for 6 months and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary arise.

I think the messaging system backbone on Android has issues in general regardless of which app you use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol