Soon to be ex-Palm Pre user needs advice on the switch to the Evo

schnoid

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi all! I currently have a Palm Pre and after much deliberation I decided I'm DONE with H/Palm! After 7+ years with Treos and the Pre I'm sick of empty promises. I love WebOS but lack of apps and decent hardware are getting ridiculous.

Anyways, I didn't come in here to complain about Palm, but rather figure out how to transition to android. I'm getting an Evo tonight. I already moved all my "memos" as they call it to google docs. Not sure if that's the best place to put it but at least its in the cloud. As for my contacts, they should mostly be in gmail, but I'm not sure if changes or additions I made through my phone have sync'd up. As far as I know there's no way to get that stuff off my Palm profile. Any ideas there? Calendar should be sync'd with google calendar. I don't use tasks on my phone because it was never sync'd with anything. And as far as games settings/progress I assume there's not much I can do about that. Anything else I need to keep in mind for the transition?

Thanks!

PapaNoHair#AC

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
When I switched from the Pre (like you I had some years with various Palm models) I did it with hesitancy but now I wish I had switched earlier! When I switched, I had calendar, contacts, documents, etc all switched over to Google so it was not hard at all. Everything came up with no problems. Welcome to a great phone!

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat as you and currently doing the exact same as you. Been with palm since the 650, and used the 700p, 755, Centro. I like webos, but its seriously lacking basic features.

I had my Pre contacts to set google as the primary and all my contacts seem to have transfered over well. I dont use the notes section in my contacts, but titles and different numbers, emails seem to have transfered fine onto the evo simply by logging into my google account from the settings section on the EVO.

Now the calendar events seem to be a different story. apparently if the event was creaed under your palm profile it does not seem to transfer. At the very least on my first try a couple of ours ago. I have yet to transfer my memos, and tasks on webos is a joke.

If you figure any way to get all your calendar events off the pre please post.

schnoid

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
actually, looking back at my Pre now, it seems that I did set my default contact list to my gmail account. So maybe it has updated to the latest changes. And my google calendar also for sure defaults to google as well. Looks like I might be good to go. There's a few images I have to transfer to my desktop. Can I do this even if I have no service on my Pre? Also, I assume there's no way to transfer my texts?

flamingpixi

Jan 4, 2011
www.bbrunch.com
When I came over from my Pixi I just sent all contacts to gmail via the email option in contacts, imported them into gmail, then got the evo and synced up, very easy. Have fun, it's a great phone!

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you use patches? There is a patch called "Send All Contacts Via Email". This will allow you to send all your contacts (whether google or profile). You can then import these into google if you want.

No matter what, you will enjoy your Evo coming from the Palm Pre-, I know I do!!

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
If you had gmail set as the default for your contacts on the Pre, they'll all be in gmail. I'm also someone that switched from it to the Evo.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo

schnoid

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Do you use patches? There is a patch called "Send All Contacts Via Email". This will allow you to send all your contacts (whether google or profile). You can then import these into google if you want.

No matter what, you will enjoy your Evo coming from the Palm Pre-, I know I do!!

Good suggestion! I think i'm ok since my default sync is set to gmail but I'll definitely do this just in case as a backup! Thanks!

fwarchol

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
schnoid......welcome! I was in your position about a month ago.....I just cannot believe how phenomenal the EVO is! I was concerned making the jump but quite honestly, I am really not sure what it was that I was concerned about! I promise you, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! Slickest android out there imo!

Have fun!

dcmidnight

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was a Palm pda/phone user since the week the first Palm Pilot came out.

It took me about a day to get over trading in my Pre for my Evo :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech