Battery DRAIN CAUSED BY AN APP....BUT WHICH ONE??

saywut

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok,

Around January I noticed my EVO getting Hot. (EVEN WHEN IDLE)

Took it to the sprint store and the replaced. I loaded all my apps back to the phone via App Brain and soon found it was doing it again so i figured it was either an App or the current battery.

Well, I replaced the battery and My phone is still draining extremely quickly (around 3-4 hrs MAX) The new battery is a SEIDIO 1750mh.

Anyway, I wanted to list a few apps and wanted to know if anyone else gets serious BATTERY DRAIN when running these apps in the foreground and/or background. You can click the link to get a full lis of my apps too. Keep in mind i dont use them all.

Most Used Apps:
  • DOUBLETWIST
  • TWEETCASTER
  • FACEBOOK
  • DOLPHIN BROWSER HD
  • ANGRY BIRDS
  • GMAIL
  • YOUTUBE (SOMETIMES)
  • ASTRO FILE MNGR

The rest of my apps are used as needed or whenever i get bored. If you know any apps that use some serious Battery listed then let me know

Thanks!

djsaywut's Apps on the HTC Evo 4G - Page 1

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I would install Spare Parts and find out what is active. It is possible that one of your apps isn't going into the background or closing properly when you exit it.

I don't personally use Double Twist, but does it have a network or WiFi feature that can be disabled?

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Or get Watchdog from the market, install the widget, and look at it regularly to see what is running and stealing CPU.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I second Spare Parts, or just grab Battery History (which is just a portion of Spare Parts).

I would also recommend JuiceDefender -- saves quite a bit of battery in its default configuration. If you can believe the app -- it makes my batter last about 1.5 times longer than it would without it.

With Battery History take your phone off the charger and use as you will normally. Wait for the battery to die down, open Batter History and check out the Partial Wake usage -- this is typically the cause -- a developer who doesn't know what they are doing by using this.

Also check out Menu - Settings - About Phone - Battery - Battery Use. Although if something has a partial wake lock problem it may not show up here. Partial wake lock keeps your phone from going to sleep and conserving battery. Just take a look at the "Up time" vs "Awake time" if your two numbers are really close together that is cause for concern with an offending app. For instance, I am forced to use a TERRIBLE anti-virus app by my company. It's partial wake lock usage is between 75 and 100 percent and sucks down my battery, but it never shows up in the Battery Use screen as the app itself does not use much. Right now my "Up Time" is 47:50:18 and my "Awake Time" is "47:43:13". Ugghhh.

I find GPS and Wifi on all the time to not be a significant source of batter drain on my EVO at all. I leave them on all the time and don't see a problem.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
gps doesn't actually get used unless an app uses it. so it don't matter to leave it on.

the wifi on the other hand is constantly looking for signal. so it's using battery.

i ca't for the likes of me figure out why anyone would want to use wifi though. most everything around here is locked down. and 3g works just about everywhere i go where as wifi isn't.

so why in the world does everyone prefer wifi??? except at work wehre they can't get a good signal.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
gps doesn't actually get used unless an app uses it. so it don't matter to leave it on.

the wifi on the other hand is constantly looking for signal. so it's using battery.

i ca't for the likes of me figure out why anyone would want to use wifi though. most everything around here is locked down. and 3g works just about everywhere i go where as wifi isn't.

so why in the world does everyone prefer wifi??? except at work wehre they can't get a good signal.

Wifi is a heck of a lot faster than 3g....

saywut

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I second Spare Parts, or just grab Battery History (which is just a portion of Spare Parts).

I would also recommend JuiceDefender -- saves quite a bit of battery in its default configuration. If you can believe the app -- it makes my batter last about 1.5 times longer than it would without it.

With Battery History take your phone off the charger and use as you will normally. Wait for the battery to die down, open Batter History and check out the Partial Wake usage -- this is typically the cause -- a developer who doesn't know what they are doing by using this.

Also check out Menu - Settings - About Phone - Battery - Battery Use. Although if something has a partial wake lock problem it may not show up here. Partial wake lock keeps your phone from going to sleep and conserving battery. Just take a look at the "Up time" vs "Awake time" if your two numbers are really close together that is cause for concern with an offending app. For instance, I am forced to use a TERRIBLE anti-virus app by my company. It's partial wake lock usage is between 75 and 100 percent and sucks down my battery, but it never shows up in the Battery Use screen as the app itself does not use much. Right now my "Up Time" is 47:50:18 and my "Awake Time" is "47:43:13". Ugghhh.

I find GPS and Wifi on all the time to not be a significant source of batter drain on my EVO at all. I leave them on all the time and don't see a problem.

I THINK I SOLVED THE ISSUE !! I used the "Battery Historty" app and I configured it to read the "partial wake status". I compared the "Up Time" vs. the "Awake Time" and the were IDENTICAL!!!

Now, let me include that i understand what Drains a battery and do pretty good with Battery mngmnt.

I found that there was something running called "MEDIASERVER" which was running all the time. Even when idle. I did more research and found someone else witha similar problem which they found the cause to be a corrupted Picture file that did not process correctly.

I moved all pictures off the phone and can you believe, Im getting a WHOLE day of battery again and its not running hot anymore....Well unless i thhrottle the CPU and NETORK but thats expected. Thanks AGAIN EVERYONE...

PROBLEM SOLVED....UNTIL THE NEXT!

saywut

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Sure!

I replaced the phone.....
I replaced the battery.....

It could only be an App or File that would continue to cause the problem! Hope this helps anyone currently dealing with a "Burning Sensation" in the pants.........DUE TO A HOT EVO of Course!

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Have you updated your profile and PRL lately?

goto Settings>About Phone>Battery>Battery Use.

If cell stand by % is kind of high? press on it and see if you
a message that says... "time not connected to cell signal/tower" or something like that?

if there is a high percent of not connected? update both your profiles.

I assume the time ur Evo is not connected to a tower? your Evo is
is powering up or scanning for a connection?
Thus draining your battery faster.

I believe the PRL update rectifies this connection.

Settings>System Updates>Update PRL
Settings>System Updates>Update Profile

IF for some reason it doesn't want to update or you get an error message?
Try rebooting your phone, then repeat the update process.

Like you? My battery unplugged would drain really fast .
After I did the update? my battery can pretty much last
from 7am to about 5pm moderate use with about 30-40% battery life left.

BTW, Angry Birds is a Hog when it comes to battery drain. Make sure you kill the
AB game in your manage account app once your done playing it.

Hope this helps!

Ok,

Around January I noticed my EVO getting Hot. (EVEN WHEN IDLE)

Took it to the sprint store and the replaced. I loaded all my apps back to the phone via App Brain and soon found it was doing it again so i figured it was either an App or the current battery.

Well, I replaced the battery and My phone is still draining extremely quickly (around 3-4 hrs MAX) The new battery is a SEIDIO 1750mh.

Anyway, I wanted to list a few apps and wanted to know if anyone else gets serious BATTERY DRAIN when running these apps in the foreground and/or background. You can click the link to get a full lis of my apps too. Keep in mind i dont use them all.

Most Used Apps:
  • DOUBLETWIST
  • TWEETCASTER
  • FACEBOOK
  • DOLPHIN BROWSER HD
  • ANGRY BIRDS
  • GMAIL
  • YOUTUBE (SOMETIMES)
  • ASTRO FILE MNGR

The rest of my apps are used as needed or whenever i get bored. If you know any apps that use some serious Battery listed then let me know

Thanks!

djsaywut's Apps on the HTC Evo 4G - Page 1

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I use or have used all of those apps before and havent had a problem, except for doubletwist. So try nixing doubletwist?

Just a shot in the dark, also, look at running processes and that may give you a clue as to what is going on.

Rivest

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
The Google Talk app is automatically set to sign you in and keep you signed in forever. IM clients drain the hell out of your battery. I turned mine off and saw a huge improvement. I also lowered the refresh intervals for apps such as weather, news, email clients, etc. Yesterday I started using an app called 'PowerMax' that helps battery. It's not one of the useless app killer crap apps. It distributes and manages your settings to prolong battery life.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I THINK I SOLVED THE ISSUE !! I used the "Battery Historty" app and I configured it to read the "partial wake status". I compared the "Up Time" vs. the "Awake Time" and the were IDENTICAL!!!

Now, let me include that i understand what Drains a battery and do pretty good with Battery mngmnt.

I found that there was something running called "MEDIASERVER" which was running all the time. Even when idle. I did more research and found someone else witha similar problem which they found the cause to be a corrupted Picture file that did not process correctly.

I moved all pictures off the phone and can you believe, Im getting a WHOLE day of battery again and its not running hot anymore....Well unless i thhrottle the CPU and NETORK but thats expected. Thanks AGAIN EVERYONE...

PROBLEM SOLVED....UNTIL THE NEXT!
How did you find out that "Media Server" was running all the time?

dtfamily

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Battery History Droidgram

Hi all,

Just wondering, I haven't been able to find a standalone program "Battery History" by Droidgram- just Spare Parts. I tried Spare Parts before, but it was a bit of overkill for me- I have other programs I prefer for some of its functions. Can anyone tell me where to get just the "Battery History" app?

Thanks.

eliway

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I know your problem seems solved, but I'd still like to add this for reference when someone searches google or something.

You mentioned you have Tweetcaster installed. By default, tweetcaster loads new tweets, mentions and DMs every three minutes. By default.

This is pretty insane and I can't believe a company can ship software with a default poll that is so short it will annihilate your battery in a matter of hours , even if you don't touch your phone.

"Words With friends" is also just as bad. Checks for new moves every five freaking minutes.

Unbelievable.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I know your problem seems solved, but I'd still like to add this for reference when someone searches google or something.

You mentioned you have Tweetcaster installed. By default, tweetcaster loads new tweets, mentions and DMs every three minutes. By default.

This is pretty insane and I can't believe a company can ship software with a default poll that is so short it will annihilate your battery in a matter of hours , even if you don't touch your phone.

"Words With friends" is also just as bad. Checks for new moves every five freaking minutes.

Unbelievable.

Word with Friends was HORRIBLE. Notice I said "was". Uninstalled.

turfster26

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
What is the "up time" vs "awake time"?

Mine says:

Cell Standby
Phone Idle

Are those the two you are talking about?

My awake time and up time are identical.

How can I rectify this or does it need to be rectified? I am a bit confused on why they need to be different?

Thx.....

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
If Uptime and Awake time are close to each other, or even 2:1 3:1 ratio, you have a problem. An application does not allow your phone to go to sleep. The app keeps running and is draining your battery fast. Yesterday, I uninstalled Tango because it sucked my battery juice very very quickly. I only got 7 hours of battery time when i usually get 20-24. I use Juice Defender so I never had this problem. I used apps called Spare Parts and Watchdog to find out which app kept running and I was able to pinpoint Tango.

My awake time and up time are identical.

How can I rectify this or does it need to be rectified? I am a bit confused on why they need to be different?

Thx.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton