EVO car audio ideas.

IdeaJason

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I know this has been brought up before but no solutions have been proposed.

My goal: I want to find the best way to use my HTC EVO 4g as the primary & only device in my car. I currently have the stock stereo, Sirius sat recvr, & EVO GPS.

• I want to be able to use it for the GPS, Phone, Bluetooth Ear piece (Blue AntQ1), Stream the Sirius App/Pandora or playback Audible/saved media.
  • I want it to be able to switch seamlessly between them.
  • I want it to charge.

I'm willing to drill holes or even some light hacking. I currently own the HTC EVO CAR MOUNT.
I also plan on using automateit or tasker to write some code to make things automatic... when I put it in the car dock it will turn on 4G & bluetooth. etc...

My dilemma is that I have a credit to have my Sirius hardwired into my car. If I can use my phone for it then I can keep it clutter free.

My real question is: Before I start all this can the EVO do what I'm asking? Can it run all this at the same time, pausing on calls, responding to my blueant, etc... And can it do it better then having three different devices.

Also can I do all this by just wiring into the aux audio on my oem deck or do I need usb? I have heard nothing good about Bluetooth connections so unless the tech is better I'm out on BT.

I plan on using the 4g non-stop when in the car for the streaming.

Thanks for your help.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My real question is: Before I start all this can the EVO do what I'm asking? Can it run all this at the same time, pausing on calls, responding to my blueant, etc... And can it do it better then having three different devices.
The Evo does make calls while surfing the web... lets see what the 3D Evo bring us - there has to be a lot more added features.

Welcome to the forum.

IdeaJason

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Can it play through the USB yet?

Last year when I looked into this, the HTC EVO couldn't play music or stream through the micro-usb. Has this changed?
I'm not an audiophile but I also used to hate the sound of the bluetooth transmitters even when I mostly listen to CNBC or Howard Stern. At most I listen to Classic Rock or Jazz & some old school rap when I'm feeling tough. (I just love Sirius.)

Can I play or stream music through the MicroUsb-Usb cord yet?

Has bluetooth for audio improved?

Any complaints about the official HTC Car Dock?

I appreciate your help.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The Evo does make calls while surfing the web... lets see what the 3D Evo bring us - there has to be a lot more added features.

Welcome to the forum.

The EVO can only make calls while surfing the web if you are on 4G or WiFi for data. It won't work if you're only on 3G (CDMA) for data (I didn't believe it until I tried it).

To the OP, you never mentioned streaming audio over the USB in your original post, so I'm not surprised that no-one tried answering about it. In short, you can not stream audio over USB with the EVO. You can use a 1/8" TRS jack from the headphone out if you want better quality than bluetooth.

FYI, the extra large font in red to indicate your question was unnecessary and if I may be so bold to speak on the behalf of other AC members, offensive to those of us that try to help when we can.

IdeaJason

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
thanks?

thanks for the reply.

Ya the streaming is newer info as I'm learning that I can't use the charge cable for transfer of data.

I swear I used the phone & data at the same time with the evo not being on wifi.
(hour break here) I just checked, here in Seattle we have three levels of voice service to bounce between. It allows for more places you can do voice/data but once off the major roads it falls off. (It's great in Issaquah where about 4 VP's and a Sprint CEO used to live).

I guess the data/phone while driving isn't really as big a deal as what would I do while driving anyway? Its in the dock.

Has the streaming quality improved in the last 4-5 years or should I just plug in the wire each time?

Sorry about the size of the questions in the last post. I must have clicked sizes when trying to change colors & bold. I tend to write a ton of crap so I always highlight/bold my real questions to make sure busy serial repliers/helpers can get to the meat then back track wif they need too. Everywhere I use it people like it.
I hope your eyes didn't pop out bleeding & flaming while you were being shot at while fighting for your freedom or go through an earthquake & tsunami then a nuke meltdown when you had to read it.

Seriously? thats what you want to be known for? Complaining about font size when there is people with real problems?

If I may be so bold, if you do speak for the people here and the boo boo of the font size is so "offensive" then I will move on.

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I use BT when in my Lincoln MKx. Sync sees it, links it, and it's rockin. Sounds perfect. It mutes when calls come in. No "dock". Just Sync. My Mustang is too old to have Sync, but I use the Evo for nav in it and plug in the audio from headphone jack to my mini. Same thing on the mute. When the nav speaks the tunes mute. Wish I had BT for that car, too!

bj

Reactions: IdeaJason

IdeaJason

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
thanks vnmous1 I appreciate the great info! It's looking like I'm going to have to research the best BT piece since it sounds like a must for the android if you want all the functions.

I think investing in the best bluetooth & mastering my voice commands (both from Vlingo & blueant q1) will be the biggest key to success.

I know that the minute I invest in whatever technology the very next Electronics show will have exactly what I want/need. Ellis' law of technology "You will get screwed by the rapid rate of development."

The other realization I have had is that having Sirius in the car stereo will help keep wires off the dash & will allow me to spare the EVO of the extra work streaming Sirius every moment I'm in it. That way the evo can do phone/gps & the odd media streaming like Audible or Pandora.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Seriously? thats what you want to be known for? Complaining about font size when there is people with real problems?

If I may be so bold, if you do speak for the people here and the boo boo of the font size is so "offensive" then I will move on.

Think of it like this.

Members here are taking their time, energy and brain power to help you with a problem that they may or may not care about.

The way your write, edit and format plays into whether or not someone will want to help you.

I can only speak for myself, but if I see a post with large red letters demanding address, I'd peg the poster as a petulant and whiny child and wouldn't answer even if I knew what he needed.

Just my two cents.

nnb

Reactions: illwood

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Sorry about the size of the questions in the last post. I must have clicked sizes when trying to change colors & bold. I tend to write a ton of crap so I always highlight/bold my real questions to make sure busy serial repliers/helpers can get to the meat then back track wif they need too. Everywhere I use it people like it.
When I read up to this part of the reply, I was thinking that it was an honest mistake and even though the red text isn't my cup of tea, I understood the poster's reasoning.

Then I continued to read:
I hope your eyes didn't pop out bleeding & flaming while you were being shot at while fighting for your freedom or go through an earthquake & tsunami then a nuke meltdown when you had to read it.

That was unnecessarily harsh and I didn't appreciate it. My commentary was only to alert the poster that the formatting of the post wasn't particularly friendly for future reference. I have not insulted or mocked you, so I think that response wasn't deserved.

Biggnaa20 hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: Biggnaa20

IdeaJason

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
wow thanks for your replies that have nothing to do with the thread.

I still can't believe you all really want to make issue out of this. it was a larger then normal font.... no small children will die & you second round of whining does you no justice.

I'm complaining about you on my show - Sirius 28 | XM 52 . Listen in & enjoy!

thanks to those men who could answer without crying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude