Thinking of ditching your EVO for a ThunderBolt? DONT

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok so whatever you guys leave as replies I totally deserve, let the flame war begin. LOL.
As of Monday I was a very happy EVO owner, even got one for my fiancee a couple of months ago. At some point in the last few months I got charged for an EVO that wasn't returned on time, my fault for sure but my bill has been out of control ever since. Now, believe it or not, my average payments would be $200 in the beginning of the month and $200 towards the end of the month. I've set up numerous payment plans and after the second or third payment, they will always tell me its been revoked due to new bills hitting the account. Fast forward to last week and a $200 payment, all is well. Monday another $200 payment and further arrangements for the balance. All is well. Tuesday phones are shut off. Management deemed payment plan extends too far(8 weeks, $100 a week. Plus the two $200 payments I had just made) and refused any further extensions except for an on the spot payment of $331 with 7 days to pay the remaining balance. Believe me I fully take responsibility for the non returned device but beyond that I have always kept my end of any arrangements and to take two $200 payments under the terms of me being able to knock out this bill over the course of 8 weeks, only to revoke this arrangement and terminate service with no knowledge on my behalf made me consider switching. With the ThunderBolt being released in a day or two I put the two EVO's on Craigslist while the ESN's were clean. Got $500 for the pair and moved my #'s over to VZW. Got the TBolt yesterday and had some issues. Exchanged today and second TBolt is worse than the first. I'm so so upset that I ditched my EVO when Sprint is all I really wanted to ditch. Even then, I should have tried one last time to get a supervisor on the phone to try and work something out one last time. Or maybe tried that process of using the EVO on a certain pre paid network were not supposed to talk about. The slcd on the TB is horrible. Totally over the top and unnatural looking with a pink hue. My EVO was revision 003 with the nova display so this is a big change. I miss the EVO's bright red interior.
VZW has the worst bloatware I've ever seen and no matter what your VZW owning friends may tell you, their LTE network is NOWHERE near as fast or dependable as sprints Wimax,not in my area of NYC anyway. I don't even like sense 2.0 lol, that's probably just because of the bloatware though. Sure the TB us pretty much the same device in the specs department but in reality the EVO was/is such a success for a reason and lightning just don't strike twice(no pun intended). I don't know if I should call Sprint and beg for forgiveness, sell the tbolt and fiancees incredible and use the cash to open up new Sprint service in her name or kick myself in the a$$ and learn to love the TB best I can. Is there a way to even re active service once the #'s have been ported? If I sell and get new evos ill still have to deal with ETFs from VZW. Let's not forget the EVO 3D either. The TB is still a great phone by HTC but it just ain't the EVO. I kept mine in pristine condition too so I'm not even enjoying the fact that my tbolt is shiny and new cuz SO WAS MY EVO. Well there it is guys, if your debating on switching please take my advice and know that the grass is not greener on the other side. You have the hottest device in your hand already. Don't take it for granted. Keep in mind that I'm in no way bashing the TB, its a great phone for those who have not been spoiled by the original 4G powerhouse.

Last edited:

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Never jump for a device that you have not had hands on experience with.

I didn't switch for the device, it was just the perfect timing considering the tbolt would be close in many aspects. You do reiterate my point though, don't let the buzz surrounding a new handset make up your mind.

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I think next time you should just return the old unit on time. ;)

Yup. VZW offered to replace my kinda defective TB but unless its literally unusable , I have learned my lesson. The problem is the amount of time it takes to come off your bill if you do happen to get charged and returned it after the dead line. 3 billing cycles in my case and still pending for removal. Sprint is really cool in that they do go out of their way to try and track down the item once it hits their warehouses.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
You can port your numbers back to Sprint and get new EVO phones and return the TBs. Unless I'm missing something here you shouldn't have to pay an ETF for Verizon because you are within 14 days. Good luck with your situation.

Last edited:

star444

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree. If you just switched to VZW this week, you should be able to return the phones and not have to pay an ETF. Then, like you said, open an account with Sprint in your girlfriend's name.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
1.. the 2 evos you sold to someone.. hope they dont get screwed by you not paying you bill.

2.. you should be able to return the TBs.. because they only came out this week!

3.. was verizon not more expensive plan????

4.. i dont think you can port your numbers again.. the account on verizon is too new... i could be wrong.

5.. i am guessing you can open new accounts with your girls name... and start fresh....

6.. I would find cheap old ... sprint phones for a few months... and wait for the evo3d.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Its simple, to solve all billing issues. Get the $99 Unlimited plan. Point Blank!

True, but last month I used 8 minutes on phone calls since unlimited mobile to mobile is free. (unlike Verizon who says it has to be in a top 5, or in Verizon) So, I have a 450 minute plan. With everything else unlimited, my bill comes out to $80.00 a month before my company discount. I don't see why anyone would have to talk for more than 450 minutes a month from a cell phone to a land line in these days, so I can't see getting the "Everything Unlimited" plan, and I like Sprint.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
True, but last month I used 8 minutes on phone calls since unlimited mobile to mobile is free. (unlike Verizon who says it has to be in a top 5, or in Verizon) So, I have a 450 minute plan. With everything else unlimited, my bill comes out to $80.00 a month before my company discount. I don't see why anyone would have to talk for more than 450 minutes a month from a cell phone to a land line in these days, so I can't see getting the "Everything Unlimited" plan, and I like Sprint.

If you get the Everything Unlimited plan you get an upgrade every year versus every two years. Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid