Roaming on or using Verizon's network???

newmomto1

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I posted before that I may need to leave sprint because I am not getting service in my neighborhood. Verizon does work in my n-hood so I thought maybe I would switch to them.
Several ppl commented that I should be able to roam on verizon or use their towers or something (not sure if I understand it exactly).
But, apparently that's not happening since I am not getting service. I have an airave for the house...but if I go for a walk or am out with the kids I cannot use data or make/receive calls.
Can someone tell me what my settings should be to be able to get on verizon's network??
Thx!!!!!!!

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Can someone tell me what my settings should be to be able to get on verizon's network??
Thx!!!!!!!

Unfortunately the best you can do is Menu -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks -> Roaming and ensure that Automatic is selected (and NOT Sprint only).

If you are in a fringe area where there is enough of a Sprint signal that it does not switch to roaming there is nothing you can do (unless you can convince all of your neighbors along your walking route to get Airrave's too ;-) ).

dirkyd3rk

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You could try the Verizon pri hack but rumor has it after a while sprint kicks you off contract because of excessive roaming. They have to pay Verizon when you roam thus costing sprint more to keep you. Maybe you should take a look at some Verizon plans since you get better coverage in your area.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

joems

May 29, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted, there is an app in the market called roam control. It allow you to force your phone into roaming.

It has worked fine for me. But you need to be rooted.

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Roam Control works great for me. I live in a small little black whole where really nobody gets good service. I get 0 to 1 bar on sprint which is almost useless, selecting roam only in Roam Control gets me 1 to 2 bars of 1xrtt on a Verizon tower. By no means stellar but it allows my phone to get my gmail and I can make and recieve calls at home.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried Roam Control, but it sounds like a good solution. As long as you aren't looking to download a ton and only want to have cell service so you can get a text or a call when you are outside of your house (off the airrave) then this could be a good solution. It's at least worth a try.

stopsign002

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted, there is an app in the market called roam control. It allow you to force your phone into roaming.

It has worked fine for me. But you need to be rooted.

I used this while I was on my snowboarding trip in northern Michigan. Sprint had EXTREMELY crappy service up there, but I just used Roam Control and spent the entire trip loving Verizon's network. My download speeds seemed to slightly slower than my friend's with their Verizon phones (literally all my friends are on Verizon), but it certainly wasn't unacceptably slow or anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool