Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stupid USB port is broken (no charge)

Anyone else have issues with the USB port disconnecting so you can't charge? I have to weight my down now to get it to connect (like I have it plugged in now with a wrench laying on the cable/plug to get it to charge).

I pay for insurance, so I assume I just have to call to have them fix this, which I will do tomorrow.

Questions:
    1. This happen to anyone else?
    2. How long can I expect to be without a phone? Will Sprint give me a loaner or something while they fix it? Kindof hard for me to be without a phone...
    3. Are there any problems with my phone being rooted when I take it in? Should I just install back my default Sense ROM? If so, I need to do that before the connection dies completely and my battery dies (since I'll have no way to do it).

On a side note, I don't understand why these charging ports suck so bad. That's the third phone (an old flip phone, a Palm Treo, and now this one) where the same thing has happened to me. I don't feel I'm rough on these...

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

This is a known issue. My daughter's Evo stopped charging via the USB port. Thinking it was an issue with the chargers, she bought two more chargers, till eventually they all stopped working. She took it to our local Sprint store which has a repair facility, they replaced it for no charge on the spot. Mine is still fine - but I treat my electronics with kid gloves....

my car chargers go out once a month. i bought a 3500 battery that gets me through the day now. no more car charging.

i have a home cable. and a usb cable for my motorcycle. neither one of them have had to be replaced. only the actual car chargers that plug into the socket have had to be replaced.

never had a problem with the phone yet. and it gets plugged into A LOT. wether it be charge or computer purposes.

My sister's stopped charging yesterday....she took it to Sprint & once they verified it would not charge with a new charger, they replaced it with a brand new EVO.

If you pay for the insurance, you shouldn't have a problem!!!! Good luck! Write down all your apps before you take it in though....because you'll have to re-download everything.

It's an electronics industry-wide problem. The smaller the devices get, the smaller the connectors must be. Smaller tends to be thinner and thinner is weaker. Do a Google search and you'll see how wide a path this problem cuts.

I've seen some people say they were taken care of the same day. I've seen others left without a phone for 2 weeks or so. I guess it counts on who you get behind the counter.

I've never heard of them lending a phone. Maybe you know someone who has an extra you can borrow?

Another option is to order an extra battery (or 2) and an external charger from Amazon. I just bought the Laza extended battery and case and I'm down to charging only at bedtime. I have the original battery in an external charger and use that as the extra for my wife's phone.

And yeah, I'd ditch root and go back to stock before going in. :-)

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lamonicaj View Post
    My sister's stopped charging yesterday....she took it to Sprint & once they verified it would not charge with a new charger, they replaced it with a brand new EVO.

If you pay for the insurance, you shouldn't have a problem!!!! Good luck! Write down all your apps before you take it in though....because you'll have to re-download everything.
    Same here.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Mines been acting up for a couple weeks now. I thought it was just 1 charger I was using that was bad so I replaced it. All was good for a about a week then yesteday I get up to a totally dead phone. I tried charging it all day from a home charger, a car charger and by pc. I could never get out of the yellow. Put my battery in my daughters phone and it charged up just fine. Took my phone to sprint and they ordered me a replacememt thats to be here today. I hope its a new phone and not a refurbished one. I really hate having to get all my apps, settings and stuff back to the way I had it. The one plus to a new phone is that I'm hoping swype on this works without that stupid correction popup coming up all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 1shooky View Post
    Mines been acting up for a couple weeks now. I thought it was just 1 charger I was using that was bad so I replaced it. All was good for a about a week then yesteday I get up to a totally dead phone. I tried charging it all day from a home charger, a car charger and by pc. I could never get out of the yellow. Put my battery in my daughters phone and it charged up just fine. Took my phone to sprint and they ordered me a replacememt thats to be here today. I hope its a new phone and not a refurbished one. I really hate having to get all my apps, settings and stuff back to the way I had it. The one plus to a new phone is that I'm hoping swype on this works without that stupid correction popup coming up all the time.
    Of course it will be a refurbished one.
    Swype is literally useless, I disabled it.
    I also disabled autocorrect and the thing where the phone guesses what I am typing.

Default Re: Stupid USB port is broken (no charge)

I have a blackberry and the same thing happened. So I did some research and found a charging port for it on Amazon. I wish I had done it before giving the insurance $100 to get a replacement. Does anyone now if the Android Motorola Opus I1 has a charging port? If yes where can I buy one?