Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Official Sprint EVO 4G Gingerbread update

I saw this article on GoodandEvo.net ...

...that I very much hope is true! I'm hoping for a Gingerbread Sense ROM, or even just a rooted stock-evo ROM after this comes out.
    Sprint Galaxy S3 - rooted but still stock for now.
    Nook Color running CM7

Very good news, now have to find out how to handle this with my rooted evo. Just did the unrevoked3 root to activate tether and give superuser to some other apps but kept everything else the same so wonder how big a deal it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Very good news, now have to find out how to handle this with my rooted evo. Just did the unrevoked3 root to activate tether and give superuser to some other apps but kept everything else the same so wonder how big a deal it will be.
    Same here, I'll keep checking back to see what everyone does with rooted phones =]

hope its soon i am done with the latest froyo update!!

Dear Android GODS, please update my phone. I am going crazy waiting and waiting. I will always be faithful to the Android System. This is all!

c:

oh my hell. once you all get gingerbread. you're all going to be dieing for honeycomb.

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    oh my hell. once you all get gingerbread. you're all going to be dieing for honeycomb.

LOL.

Nah, we're already lining up wish lists for Ice Cream!

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Something tells me that this will coincide with the release of the Evo 3d?

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    If the EVO doesn't get Gingerbread, that's another reason for me to get the EVO 3D. But that is what Sprint want, so I[m going to give it some time.

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

I sincerely doubt they are going to ditch support on the Evo 4G in less than a year. It will get Gingerbread without a doubt in my mind.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Thanked by:
    pa7tip 

Quote Originally Posted by Cares View Post
    I sincerely doubt they are going to ditch support on the Evo 4G in less than a year. It will get Gingerbread without a doubt in my mind.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    I'm thinking your right. HTC has a good record with updates. Just waiting to see what happens.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.
    Galaxy nexus!

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 2.3.4

This will fix the audio problem while recording on the evo i hope

The problem with the official update is that you're still going to get Sprint's bloat/demoware. I rooted specifically to get rid of that junk, and thanks to xda, I'm never going back to stock.
    Galaxy nexus!

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 2.3.4

I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    The problem with the official update is that you're still going to get Sprint's bloat/demoware. I rooted specifically to get rid of that junk, and thanks to xda, I'm never going back to stock.

As long as they never release a software that will have a hardware requirment that is higher then what our EVO's have, then they should continue to get the software updates
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    As soon as HTC releases a Sense/Gingerbread ROM you will start to see a rash of updates. The lack of such a base ROM to work with is why you don't see WARM/FRESH/Sprint Lovers etc running 2.3. For now(on the EVO) only ASOP roms can run Gingerbread and they are all flawed(gps issues, reboots, etc). Even the best of the ASOPs have issues. That's why I run Warm 2.2. This will go away once HTC releases a Gingerbread ROM for Evo(which I hope will include Sense 2.0). This is very exciting news!

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen or Warm

CM7, for me, has not a single issue. Everything works.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I think we will get gingerbread, but a good while after the 3D comes out. Sprint and HTC undoubtedly want the 3D to be as big a hit, if not a bigger hit than the original Evo was. They also want a lot of current Evo owners to get the 3D and if gingerbread and/or the new sense is available around the time the 3D is out I think a lot of current Evo owners would stick with their phones. If the timeline follows the original Evo and the 3D is released in June, I figure the originals won't be updated before October or November.
    Sent from my EVO 3D

For me i get a ton of random reboots, my launchers work at best half the time, I lose GPS every 2 or 3 days and have to boot into a sense rom to do the GPS fix and there's still no HDMI last time I tried it. Also I love the sense Clock(not widget but the actual clock app). Also while most HTC apps can be easily replaced 3rd party, there are some(such as the clock application) that can't be. The videos dont look as good when recorded either. As a whole, CM7 is just buggy. Which they know, that's why its an RC and not a Final. They are doing good work but as yet, they haven't performed as well as Warm or Evi or many other HTC-Based roms. They are nearly there tho.

Quote Originally Posted by EMT J View Post
    I think we will get gingerbread, but a good while after the 3D comes out. Sprint and HTC undoubtedly want the 3D to be as big a hit, if not a bigger hit than the original Evo was. They also want a lot of current Evo owners to get the 3D and if gingerbread and/or the new sense is available around the time the 3D is out I think a lot of current Evo owners would stick with their phones. If the timeline follows the original Evo and the 3D is released in June, I figure the originals won't be updated before October or November.
    There is another argument to be made, however. It could be said that HTC will want to push 2.3 for Evo out before hand to both test it on the OG Evos first and also to show that they do in fact upgrade phones for their customers, in order to entice new customers. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen or Warm

Well, that is definitely a "to each his own" situation. Mine works great, and I much prefer "vanilla" to Sense, so to me it's not as big a deal. Preferences are just that, preferences, and that's what the choice on Android as all about.

Its not about sense, I dont use Sense either. But the ASOP roms are for lack of a better term "Reverse Engineered" to work on each device. Google doesn't have access to the sorid details of HTCs hardware, so Stock Android won't "just work" on those devices. It has to be ported which is done by the CM and MIUI people. But in a lot of cases the HTC just functions better and has less bugs, until the CM/MIUI/etc guys get done squashing the bugs.

I run a sense-based ROM because it is the only type of rom that was built by HTC themselves, and it doesn't have the hardware issues(like no HDMI or barely ever GPS or poor video recording quality). I don't use the sense launcher. I use Launcher Pro. My phone is insanely stable and I never have to worry about if my GPS is gonna work when I need it(its a long and painful process to do "The Fix" like 15+ minutes). And I don't have to worry about my Videos staggering or looking like crap. Or not having HDMI. Its a trade off, but for a lot of people like me, Gingerbread just isn't that much better than Froyo, and the differences don't outweigh those drawbacks for the newest ASOP roms.

I'm not knocking the CM guys they do amazing work. I just need my phone to work like it's supposed to.

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen or Warm

I'm not disagreeing with you, only saying my phone does work just like it's supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you, only saying my phone does work just like it's supposed to.
    Lucky *******.

Quote Originally Posted by EVO-lutionary View Post
    For me i get a ton of random reboots, my launchers work at best half the time, I lose GPS every 2 or 3 days and have to boot into a sense rom to do the GPS fix and there's still no HDMI last time I tried it. Also I love the sense Clock(not widget but the actual clock app). Also while most HTC apps can be easily replaced 3rd party, there are some(such as the clock application) that can't be. The videos dont look as good when recorded either. As a whole, CM7 is just buggy. Which they know, that's why its an RC and not a Final. They are doing good work but as yet, they haven't performed as well as Warm or Evi or many other HTC-Based roms. They are nearly there tho.
    No denying everyone's experience differs. I'm just among the many who are sailing smoothly rooted with cm7. I read about the problems you and others have posted about, and ask myself: what are they talking about? I do wonder why the difference though.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast