1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How can I transfer EVO Contacts to Gmail?

Hello:

I have searched endlessly on Google as well on this forum and I still can find an exact answer to transferring my Contact (People) from my new HTC EVO to my Google account. I have transfer (Sync) my Calendar and Gmail email and that is all working great, but I really need to get my Contacts onto my Gmail account so I have them for emailing as well as a backup source in case my phone crashes, etc.

Can someone offer some good guidance to sync my EVO with my Gmail account contacts before I go AWOL and go back to my BB Bold:-).

Many thanks in advance......
    Banned

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

Contacts icon ...menu export to gmail and or phone
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

When I do that it has two options:

Import from SD card and Export to SD card???
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Ok I exported to SD card and showed my Gmail account, so it looks like they are on my SD card. So what's my next step?
    Banned

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

Accounts and sync( menu /settings), select google ( manage accounts) and add contacts by checking the box

You have to export them to your sd card. Make sure they are there. Go back into people, menu, view and uncheck google and check phone contacts so it only shows them. Then you have to delete them from the phone. Go back in and import them from the sd card as google contacts. Then make sure to view google contacts and they will sync. Hope this helps. Bob
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by turfster26 View Post
    Hello:

I have searched endlessly on Google as well on this forum and I still can find an exact answer to transferring my Contact (People) from my new HTC EVO to my Google account. I have transfer (Sync) my Calendar and Gmail email and that is all working great, but I really need to get my Contacts onto my Gmail account so I have them for emailing as well as a backup source in case my phone crashes, etc.

Can someone offer some good guidance to sync my EVO with my Gmail account contacts before I go AWOL and go back to my BB Bold:-).

Many thanks in advance......
    Here is my answer from back in August 2010: http://forum.androidcentral.com/show...523#post271249
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ok...I figured out on how to export to SD card and save within my deck top so I can retrieve from Google account. The only problem is only 3 contacts out of a total of over 500 were synced.

I think I remember reading on this thread or one of the attached links about the Sprint reps transferring contacts from my BB to my EVO. Are they now corrupted and not able to put int .vcf file???

This is much more difficult then it needs to be imho. I am pretty good with computers and techie type stuff, but this is nonsense.

Can someone please lay out babysteps to get this accomplished!

Sorry everyone but this sucks.....

I agree, it is complete nonsense. I have no advice to give you. There should be an option to just Backup to Google.
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Are you saying that the step-by-step instructions I provided in the linked post didn't work? Did you follow those instructions?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Are you saying that the step-by-step instructions I provided in the linked post didn't work? Did you follow those instructions?

Are you talking about this reply:

I've been using smartphones for a long time. I realized back when I got my first PDA that I should never rely on a PDA's or phone's solitary contact database to keep my contacts. So I always kept my contacts in Outlook and synced them to my PDAs.

Then I started using Exchange and started syncing to the cloud. By the time I bought my Pre, my contacts were already in the cloud, so I didn't have to involve Sprint to transfer anything. By that time, I had also created a Google account and exported/imported my contacts to Google. When I bought my Evo, I simply logged into my GMail account and all was good.

I have been trying for years to get my friends to put their contact info into either Exchange or Google Contacts for that very reason. Every time a friend of mine gets a new phone, they end up going through the pain of transferring contacts between the phones. I have over 1500 contacts. My friends are always amazed that I manage to keep everything when I switch phones.

All I end up saying to them is...The magic is in the cloud, man!"

Where is Exchange within the EVO? What is the "Cloud"?

How do I get them off my EVO, onto the SD card and into Google Contact???

How do I check/see the SD card content within the EVO?

Right now I think my contacts are in the EVO proprietary section and can't get them onto the SD card. I had the guy at Sprint transfer them form my BB.

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

I exported them from the contacts app ( I don't have sense) to a vcf file. Then imported them from the Google site on my computer.
    </awesome>
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Are you talking about this reply:

I've been using smartphones for a long time. I realized back when I got my first PDA that I should never rely on a PDA's or phone's solitary contact database to keep my contacts. So I always kept my contacts in Outlook and synced them to my PDAs.

Then I started using Exchange and started syncing to the cloud. By the time I bought my Pre, my contacts were already in the cloud, so I didn't have to involve Sprint to transfer anything. By that time, I had also created a Google account and exported/imported my contacts to Google. When I bought my Evo, I simply logged into my GMail account and all was good.

I have been trying for years to get my friends to put their contact info into either Exchange or Google Contacts for that very reason. Every time a friend of mine gets a new phone, they end up going through the pain of transferring contacts between the phones. I have over 1500 contacts. My friends are always amazed that I manage to keep everything when I switch phones.

All I end up saying to them is...The magic is in the cloud, man!"

Where is Exchange within the EVO? What is the "Cloud"?

How do I get them off my EVO, onto the SD card and into Google Contact???

How do I check/see the SD card content within the EVO?

Right now I think my contacts are in the EVO proprietary section and can't get them onto the SD card. I had the guy at Sprint transfer them form my BB.
    No. Read a few posts above that reply. I gave very detailed step-by-step instructions. I'm not at a desktop right now, or I would re-post them. Read the thread I posted. It isn't that long. It will explain everything.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

My apology Gadget.....I did not realize that there was two pages.....

Your link directed me to page two. I will peruse page one and let you know if it works out.

Again...sorry for this nonsense type syncing. As mentioned, this should be much easier. But off my soapbox and let me get to work.

MANY thx........
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

My apology Gadget.....I did not realize that there was two pages.....

Your link directed me to page two. I will peruse page one and let you know if it works out.

Again...sorry for this nonsense type syncing. As mentioned, this should be much easier. But off my soapbox and let me get to work.

MANY thx........
    No problem. Not sure why your browser didn't take you directly to the post (That's what those forum permalinks are supposed to do.) Oh well.

For others that may have trouble finding the post, I'll re-quote it here:

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    You could try the Import/Export to SD card feature.

1. Open the People app.
    2. Hit the menu button and choose "Import/Export".
    3. Select "Export to SD card".
    4. Choose the "Phone" account to export.
    5. The Evo will then create a vCard file (.vcf format) of all your contacts in the "Phone" account and store it on the SD card.

Now for the tricky part. You'll need to get rid of all the contacts in the "Phone" account. Otherwise, when you import them back in from the SD card, you'll have duplicates that will automatically link to the Google contacts.

1. Hit the menu button and choose "View".
    2. Uncheck everything except "Phone", then hit "Done". This will make the phone only show the contacts in the "Phone" account.
    3. Hit menu, then choose "Delete".
    4. Hit menu again, then choose "Select All".
    5. Choose "Delete (x)" ...where (x) is the number of contacts you have in the "Phone" account.
    6. Now change your view again so that it shows all your contact accounts: Menu|View... Re-check the appropriate accounts.

Now you will want to import the contacts into your Google account.

1. Hit menu and choose "Import/Export".
    2. Choose "Import from SD card".
    3. Choose "Google" for the account that the imported contacts will be created in.
    4. The phone will search for the vCard file and import the contacts into your Google account. (Give this some time... It will take a while before the contacts sync to the cloud and show up on the phone.)

Hope this helps.

P.S. I don't know if there is an app out there that does this automatically, but in case there isn't, this should fix you up.

P.S.S. The next time you create a contact with your phone, be sure to choose "Google" as the account type. Then, from that point forward it should default to Google when you create subsequent contacts.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Ok Gadget......

I followed the instructions to a 'T' and it only transfer 3 contacts.....all newer ones that were created from my EVO and not transferred form my BB. When I create a new contact from my EVO I have the ability for choose "contact type...then my google account".

The .vcf file that I saved is only 4kb and I have way more contacts then that. I suspect that when Sprint tech guy transferred from my BB it made them proprietary to the BB to the EVO and not compatible to google. If that makes any sense?

I do not know what else to do and very frustrated......
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

How many contacts does your EVO say you have in the "Phone" account? (Menu|View)
    --Inspector Gadget

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Google = (4)

Phone = (602)
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Google = (4)

Phone = (602)
    Hmmm, let's walk through this:

So, when you tell it to export, does the EVO say something like "Are you sure you want to export your contact list to "/sdcard/pcsc_pcsc_00001.vcf"?"

You said your .vcf file is only 4K. How are you confirming the size? With a file manager on your EVO (like Astro or ES File Explorer)? or do you have your EVO connected to your computer via USB while doing the export? If so, you can't do it that way because the EVO can't write to the sdcard while in USB mode. Make sure your EVO is not connected to the computer while following the directions.
    --Inspector Gadget

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Ok...I think I got it...at least at this stage successfully. I export and slected to "phone" and not my Google account; which I believe I did last time. It took at least a minute of more and I transferred the SD card ".vcf" file to my computer and now the file reads 94kb instead of only 4kb before.

Now I think I can safely move onto your detailed instructions and begin next steps.

I am getting closer and your detailed instructions, and more importantly your patience, may be paying off. I'll let you know when I complete.

MANY THANKS.......
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

UNBELIEVABLE.....you are the man Inspector Gadget. Makes forums like these what they are. Worked like a charm. Took some time for me to fully grasp what to do. First mistake was I only choose my Google account at first and not my "Phone" tab when exporting to SD card.

So all is good right now and it looks like it worked.

Can't thank you enough for walking me through this. Now contacts will always be in "The Cloud":-).

One last question...do I need to delete any file(s) on the phone's SD card (.vcf)?

Have a good evening.....Turfster
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

UNBELIEVABLE.....you are the man Inspector Gadget. Makes forums like these what they are. Worked like a charm. Took some time for me to fully grasp what to do. First mistake was I only choose my Google account at first and not my "Phone" tab when exporting to SD card.

So all is good right now and it looks like it worked.

Can't thank you enough for walking me through this. Now contacts will always be in "The Cloud":-).

One last question...do I need to delete any file(s) on the phone's SD card (.vcf)?

Have a good evening.....Turfster
    You're very welcome. I'm glad it worked.

You don't need to delete the .vcf file(s) unless you really want to. I would suggest leaving them on the sdcard as a secondary backup. Note that each time you do an export another .vcf file will be created (numerically incremented). In order for the EVO to import from them, they must be left in the original location (on the root of the sdcard).

If you're really paranoid, you can periodically do a vCard (.vcf) export from Google to your computer as yet another backup. Your choice.
    --Inspector Gadget

Default Re: How can I transfer EVO Contacts to Gmail?

I just used this advice and it did help... thank you so much..

ROM
    Android 2.3.4 :-(

Default Re: How can I transfer EVO Contacts to Gmail?

For contact and calendar syncing between devices, I always recommend .

I've been using it for years, since my Palm TX and through about 4 phones now, and also with Google apps and Thunderbird.

You don't necessarily need a specific syncing software: you just need to add a SyncML account to your device, and sync that (or only the categories you wish) between Memotoo and your phone. And from Memotoo to Google, Thunderbird, iThis, iThat, Outlook, or whatever else.

I personally use an extra app for that, Synthesis. But that's because the syncing on the Xperia X8 was buggy.

Apart from the syncing I mentioned here, Memotoo provides a whole bunch of fancy services, such as remote folders, and so much that I can't mention here.

I am not affiliated with them. I actually pay yearly for some extra things.