Thinking of rooting your Evo? Think twice?

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I kind of see the manufacturers' and carriers' point. People start monkeying around with their phones without researching or having a clue as to what they are doing and then filing claims to replace their phones, which costs us all more in the long run. I am not saying I'm perfect by any means, but I do not use a phone that I cannot afford to lose. If I were to brick a phone I would not file a claim as I have backup phones I can activate if I need to. People need to realize the seriousness of what they are doing and take responsibility for their actions. I also think that the people who abuse data have the potential to ruin it for those of us who use the hotspot in moderation or only as a backup. A lot of people will probably slam me for my opinions but the evidence speaks for itself.

Last edited:

eldub1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I kind of see the manufacturers' and carriers' point. People start monkeying around with their phones without researching or having a clue as to what they are doing and then filing claims to replace their phones, which costs us all more in the long run. I am not saying I'm perfect by any means, but I do not use a phone that I cannot afford to lose. If I were to brick a phone I would not file a claim as I have backup phones I can activate if I need to. People need to realize the seriousness of what they are doing and take responsibility for their actions. I also think that the people who abuse data have the potential to ruin it for those of us who use the hotspot in moderation or only as a backup. A lot of people will probably slam me for my opinions but the evidence speaks for itself.

No. Good effort. That's your opinion and then there's the bright side.

Last edited:
Reactions: faraji834#AC

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
There's so much gray area in this. Personally, I take it as a grain of salt.

Same here, personally I'm rooted n LOVING EVERY BIT!!! n not to b rude but is my phone n I do what ever the f.... I want with it so will see til then ama continue my fun lol

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Same here, personally I'm rooted n LOVING EVERY BIT!!! n not to b rude but is my phone n I do what ever the f.... I want with it so will see til then ama continue my fun lol

I am going to take the wait and see approach. I was going to root my Evo for the purpose of getting rid of sprints' bloat ware and of course the WiFi hotspot.

Last edited:

ricky99797

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been rooted for months and never one problem at all, never got a virus (I've been a Android user since Dec 09, G1, I dload torrents and crap all the time on my evo and never once a virus).

jpwhre

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
My original evo from launch date i rooted with toastmod full root with nand unlock as soon as i got it. I was very happy with it. Stayed with stock rom, just changed the kernel to support WiFi tether.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
been happy with my root. but i also keep the original software to revert back if i need warranty.

i'm happy with my root and no one will lose any sleep if my phone breaks.

you all gotta remember though. not all of america is as bright as the rest of america.

but then. not all of us were very bright when we got our first android. we all had to learn.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
No. Good effort. That's your opinion and then there's the bright side.

Lol, good effort...thanks Coach ;) I am rooted and experiment on my phone all the time. I do use the hotspot hack. I also believe we should be able to use our phones as we want and as intended. All I'm saying is I couldn't in good conscience take my phone in after I screwed it up myself and expect another one knowing it wasn't the phone at all but something stupid I did. It does ultimately cost everyone.

No, everyone isn't a programmer and people aren't born knowing this stuff. You do have to learn. Having said that, if I had a dollar for every post on these forums that contains "bricked help" and "I got them to give me another phone, now I'm going to try again" I'd be a very wealthy girl. I'd have an even fatter wallet for all the posts where the response is, "did you read or use the search button?" Take a look in the Optimus S section of the forum. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many people have taken their phones back to Sprint and got another one because they bricked theirs. Some have done it multiple times.

The fact that the companies are cracking down shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. I don't really think it has so much to do with rooting and using your phone how you want but about costing money.

JamesKBoyd

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have no interest in rooting my Evo. First: I don't know how to. Second: I think it voids the warrantly/insurance, if I am not mistaken. My Evo is by far the best phone I have ever owned, even though it only has a stock ROM.

Now, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone else from doing whatever it is they want with their phones, just stating my own opinions.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have no interest in rooting my Evo. First: I don't know how to. Second: I think it voids the warrantly/insurance, if I am not mistaken. My Evo is by far the best phone I have ever owned, even though it only has a stock ROM.

Now, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone else from doing whatever it is they want with their phones, just stating my own opinions.

I definitely understand. Even though I have a background in Unix programming (closely related to Linux) I only rooted and installed a custom recovery and ROM on my EVO a couple of weeks ago and even then did it only after rooting an LG Optimus first. You are smart in that you are weighing the pros and cons and not just jumping into it. Rooting definitely isn't for everyone. It does open up customization and performance possibilities and allows you to get rid of "bloat" that takes up space on your phone, just to name a few benefits. However, to me, if you are going to root and start "tinkering," make sure you read, read some more, and then read even more. You can save yourself so much grief by just reading and following instructions! ;)

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
it's actually really easy to root now. unrevoked forever is very simple. it's a program you download to teh computer. plug the phone and execute the program. it does all the work by itself.

even the dumbest of dummies can handle that procedure.

and if you download the stock software. it returns the phone to stock form. all by itself.

you really can't go wrong either way. if you can download and install a program on your computer. you most defenitly can plug your phone and do the same thing.

rooting was pretty complicated when the phones came out. but now even grandma can root her own phone. it's that simple.

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Ya know...rooting is a lot like modifying my car. Even though I'm clear that the mods I did would almost certainly void my warranty (as does that pesky little "racing" part), I have it exactly the way I want it. I have enough knowledge to do it and more fully enjoy it while minimizing the chances of blowing it up. (New phone= $300. New 5.4 liter supercharged motor=$15,000) It's a matter of what you want, your level of knowledge and thus your level of comfort. I rooted the crap out of my Pre but haven't done squat to my Evo and it's nearly a year old. Unusual for me. But, it's doing what I want, as-is. Now, if I could just get it to bring up my trap speeds and drop my ET........

bj

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
it's actually really easy to root now. unrevoked forever is very simple. it's a program you download to teh computer. plug the phone and execute the program. it does all the work by itself.

even the dumbest of dummies can handle that procedure.

and if you download the stock software. it returns the phone to stock form. all by itself.

you really can't go wrong either way. if you can download and install a program on your computer. you most defenitly can plug your phone and do the same thing.

rooting was pretty complicated when the phones came out. but now even grandma can root her own phone. it's that simple.

If it is so simple then why all the "I'm bricked" and "Help me get back to stock" threads? How many of them are out there as I type? Must be a lot of dummies out there. And yes, these are people who are trying to root with Unrevoked3 (or trying to unroot from it). I'm not saying people shouldn't ask for help, in fact, they should make sure they know what they're doing before they touch a thing. And those one-click roots/fixes are most dangerous because when/if something goes wrong, the person has no clue how to fix it.

Last edited:

mordbane

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Even rooting the old fashioned way is simple. The problem is that people can't/don't read and when they get stuck they want somebody to hold their hand. Whenever I root a phone or somebody asks me to root their phone I'm fully prepared to be out of $700. I'm not going to go whine to my carrier saying "It broke" when I know that I broke it. There's just no accountability and people rarely take responsibility for their actions. If they can't take responsiblity for bricking a phone, wonder what they'll do if something serious happens...

Reactions: CarrieK

EVO-lutionary

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
While it's true that some people(an extremely small percentage of them) do brick their phones while rooting, that fact is that a lot more people break their phones because they are stupid every single day. For every one person who somehow bricks the phone rooting and flashing custom roms, there are dozens(maybe hundreds) who force Sprint to replace their phones because they:

- Took it to the bathroom peeing while drunk and dropped it in the toilet.
- Set it on the top of their car then drove off.
- Lost it.
- Dropped it
- In a cup of coffee.
- Threw it at their boyfriend
- Spilled a drink on it
- Left it sitting on a table at Olive Garden and got it ganked.

I don't ever do ANY of those things and I never will. I have a brain, I use it every time I have my phone in hand. I've never dropped it, lost it or otherwise damaged it in any way. So if I do ever somehow brick it, I will not feel bad at all for turning it back in. After all, that's a whole lot better for them than the guy who turns it in 5 times over his contract because he's a drunk. We also have to remember this guy may be full of s**t too. I don't know him, and even if I did... what some guy posts on a forum is basically worthless to me. Maybe he's making it up. Maybe he's getting paid to do so. Maybe the sources are using him to disseminate false information in order to discourage rooting. Who knows? But I, for one, am not ever going to stop rooting. And I will gladly return it to Sprint/HTC if i brick it. If they didn't lock down their phones and fill them with bloatware to begin with, or if they didn't try to force us to buy new phones every year by refusing to push new versions of Android to a phone, they wouldn't have this problem. The main reason I rooted is because I bought my Evo 3 months ago and I'll be god-damned if I'm gonna just accept that they will never update the OS on it. So I am running CM7 and Gingerbread, fcuk you very much HTC. And for the record, I don't use Wireless Tether and never have.

Last edited:

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
While it's true that some people(an extremely small percentage of them) do brick their phones while rooting, that fact is that a lot more people break their phones because they are stupid every single day. For every one person who somehow bricks the phone rooting and flashing custom roms, there are dozens(maybe hundreds) who force Sprint to replace their phones because they:

- Took it to the bathroom peeing while drunk and dropped it in the toilet.
- Set it on the top of their car then drove off.
- Lost it.
- Dropped it
- In a cup of coffee.
- Threw it at their boyfriend
- Spilled a drink on it
- Left it sitting on a table at Olive Garden and got it ganked.

I don't ever do ANY of those things and I never will. I have a brain, I use it every time I have my phone in hand. I've never dropped it, lost it or otherwise damaged it in any way. So if I do ever somehow brick it, I will not feel bad at all for turning it back in. After all, that's a whole lot better for them than the guy who turns it in 5 times over his contract because he's a drunk. We also have to remember this guy may be full of s**t too. I don't know him, and even if I did... what some guy posts on a forum is basically worthless to me. Maybe he's making it up. Maybe he's getting paid to do so. Maybe the sources are using him to disseminate false information in order to discourage rooting. Who knows? But I, for one, am not ever going to stop rooting. And I will gladly return it to Sprint/HTC if i brick it. If they didn't lock down their phones and fill them with bloatware to begin with, they wouldn't have this problem. And for the record, I don't use Wireless Tether and never have.

So I guess it's the old, "well, they do it so why shouldn't I" and "it's their own fault I'm doing it...they asked for it" thing. Not saying people shouldn't root. People should understand what they are doing and take responsibility for the stupid things they do though, whether it is rooting the phone without having a clue what they are doing or dropping it in the toilet and peeing on it. I guess my conscience just won't let me lie about something like that. Maybe that makes ME stupid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781