Location/Weather won't update, even after full reset

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I tried to search for an answer but came up empty.
I've been on the phone with Sprint tech support but they're clueless. I went to Florida last week and everything was working great. Got home on Monday to find that the weather and location were stuck on Orlando. We went through all of the steps over the phone to correct. Took out the battery, etc and nothing worked so they had me wipe the phone. I did that and initally it showed where I was in the Chicago suburbs. Today I'm in Chicago and it still shows I'm in the suburb.

I went to the "update profile" in the menu and that screen is totally BLANK. It doesn't even allow a profile update.

What the heck is going on with my phone? Anything I can do to get this taken care of, without having to send it in for repair? This is obnoxious! Thanks!

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
try starting off from scratch with a full wipe and reload. that will put your phone back to stock. a data wipe won't do anything.

i've asked that question a couple of times and never got anyhwere in fixing the problem. don't know how or why it happened. and that was a couple of months ago.

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I went into the service menu and did the full wipe that way, I believe. Is there a better or different or preferred method to do a full wipe?

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
All of these experts on the site and only one person has come forward to say they also had an issue with no answer? Very surprising! Is ANYONE aware of this issue or how to resolve it without having to replace the device?
thanks

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Allow me to chime in - The weather info is provided by a third party partner, they collect data mostly from airports.(that means the closer you are the better). There are no guarantee to accuracy with any third party applications.

Doing a reset isn't necessary to fix this problem, force stop HTC sense work just fine. (menu -settings -applications -manage applications -all •> HTC sense).your display settings will revert to default…

••note••
You can clear cache and/or data on the weather app as well. (follow the troubleshooting steps above)

GOOD LUCK.

Last edited:

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
pull the battery and your settings come back. htc sense does nothing.

download the software. plug phone into computer. execute teh software.

WIPE AND RELOAD. everything works again.

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I've wiped 4 times and (knock on wood) it seems to be ok. As long as I don't try and update my profile, it seems to be stable. As soon as I do the profile update, the phone crashes and we're bask to reset. Weird that I can't do a profile update though.
Thanks for the help.

sandycam

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. Checked a lot of forum answers involving reinstalling the weather clock widget, etc. Here's my solution: the main problem is that the clock and weather only recognize certain cities. So what you need to do is go to the Maps app and fix the location there. Then the weather clock will display the proper location. I may have to do this every time I return from a trip, but at least I know what to do now. I hope this helps

sandycam

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Here's what worked for me: The problem is that the weather widget has only a limited set of cities, and, if you've traveled and returned home, and your city is not on the list, you get only "Current Location." Go to Maps and reset it for your actual city, and you will no longer have the problem. The weather widget is connected to Maps and that change will fix the weather widget. I haven't traveled since I discovered this solution, so I may have to manually reset it on my return home from my next trip, but who cares? That's way easier than all the resets, battery removals, etc.