I left my Evo 4G for iPhone 4...mistake

icehead13

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I have done this several times,but I'm coming back to Android. either Nexus S4G or Evo 3D. iPhone battery is the same as Evo with all the new rollouts. At least I can change the battery in the Evo. Sigh......I miss my Evo. the only thing iPhone has over it is screen resolution. Trust me that's it. and a lot of crap apps

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I am seeing this a lot lately. I have a buddy that just switched from At&t to sprint just for the battery issues.

Sent from my Sprint Evo using Tapatalk Pro.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Welcome back, android forgives you :)

Sent from my EVO

says who??? :p

but.. he has to pay some homage.. before allowing a turncoat back into the wagon! and sip cool-aid!

if he can give us more info to his experience.. why he changed.. and why he came back.

so that others after him can learn from his mistake.

:cool:

op... get the evo 3d.
you made the mistake and missed evo goodness.. are you really going to make another mistake and get a samsung?

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Exactly! It's amazing how many people still think Apple's the only game in town; wrong!

Android phones don't actually feel all that stable yet though, it's easy to think that iPhone is the only game in town. I came from iPhone (original, 3G, 3GS and 4) to Android (Tmo G2, Vibrant and MT4G then finally Verizon Thunderbolt) and from launch day original to iPhone 4 I never had a spontaneous reboot. I did have a problem with my first iPhone 4 where it would lose it's SIM card - meaning the phone just didn't see it - and had to replace the phone but I don't think that had anything to do with software.

All of my android phones have spontaneously rebooted at one time or another, just today my Thunderbolt did (no funky software or mod roms or anything running either), and I had a very annoying problem with one of the phones in which occasionally it wouldn't hang up when I press the hang up on-screen button. That's not the kind of thing that inspires a lot of confidence in something that should be absolutely rock stable as a telephone.

Android also feels like a whole bunch of random software thrown at the phone in no particular order or with no underlying design, iPhone's UI concept seems much more dated but much more uniform.

I love Android but that's only because it appeals to my dark, geeky heart and I am frankly surprised that it has any kind of user base beyond former or current microprocessor design engineers.

The other thing that I think gets discounted a lot by Android enthusiasts is iTunes. Android types tend to see iTunes as a major detracting feature of the whole iPhone thing where I think in reality it's a very positive feature. My (and many people's) music has been in iTunes for years, syncing is as close to automatic as it can possibly be, applications can be seamlessly downloaded to the computer and sideloaded automatically to the phone or just downloaded straight to the phone.

We as a community have to be careful that we don't slip into the Amiga Effect, in which the geeky followers of a system are both so blind to it's faults and to the competing platform's advantages that the followers themselves end up killing the platform.

Android is Not There Yet, guys. It has a ways to go before it can really compete with iPhone in the eyes of the vast majority of users.

MrMentallo

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I tunes on the computer side vs the phone end is very bloated. It used to be very nice, until Apple started bloating it up with DRM and feature that 90% of the userbase doesn't use. It ends up monopolizing audio playback on machines and the auto update features have been screwed up for years. I used to be a huge fan until Apple started fixing a product that didn't need to be fixed.

rdean

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've never used an Iphone, but I agree that as an OS, Android severely lacks in usability. One simple examples is a "forward" button for screens. How hard is it to make a "forward" button?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Android phones don't actually feel all that stable yet though, it's easy to think that iPhone is the only game in town. I came from iPhone (original, 3G, 3GS and 4) to Android (Tmo G2, Vibrant and MT4G then finally Verizon Thunderbolt) and from launch day original to iPhone 4 I never had a spontaneous reboot. I did have a problem with my first iPhone 4 where it would lose it's SIM card - meaning the phone just didn't see it - and had to replace the phone but I don't think that had anything to do with software.

All of my android phones have spontaneously rebooted at one time or another, just today my Thunderbolt did (no funky software or mod roms or anything running either), and I had a very annoying problem with one of the phones in which occasionally it wouldn't hang up when I press the hang up on-screen button. That's not the kind of thing that inspires a lot of confidence in something that should be absolutely rock stable as a telephone.

I appreciate where you are coming from, but I believe that part of the problem with the random reboot is for a similar reason to Windows crashing more often that OSX. It is more difficult to have a super stable OS when you aren't writing it for a specific hardware instruction set. Sure it should run all the same way, but when you can cherry pick the components, I would think that it is easier.

Plus, Android has pushed the envelope a bit on features over the iPhone for having "Cut, Copy, & Paste" and multitasking earlier. I think stability will be improved as Android becomes a more mature product.

anon(67326)

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I tunes on the computer side vs the phone end is very bloated. It used to be very nice, until Apple started bloating it up with DRM and feature that 90% of the userbase doesn't use. It ends up monopolizing audio playback on machines and the auto update features have been screwed up for years. I used to be a huge fan until Apple started fixing a product that didn't need to be fixed.

i tend to disagree on itunes only because on a mac it runs great and isn't "bloated" since you can "turn off" most features you don't want (e.g. ping, genius).

also, DRM went away in 2009.

while apple "cripples" the iphone in some aspects it tends to do it to enhance the user experience. "multi-tasking" for instance - the iphone did it (music, internet, phone calls) but not for everything else. not that it really mattered since apps opened/closed quickly. syncing is only available via usb because it's faster and more reliable than wifi. facetime only works on wifi because that's the only way video chat really works.

that said, i do like the custom nature of android and the ability to make it "my" phone. of course, it sometimes behaves erratically which is something i'm willing to put up with. anyway... my $0.02

joey132

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
iphone battery issues and heading over to android to solve the matter? that's honestly the first i have ever heard this.

i love my android like my left testicle but battery at times pisses me off and i do think about switching. its like dating a hot stupid chick, you want to call it off but you just can't

icehead13

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Since the new update for iPhone 4.3.? the battery life is on par with the Evo. No joke. When I first got my Iphon 4 the battery life was on par with all BB devices that i have used. I was really impressed, but now since the updates,hell it ain't no better than the Evo other than a better camera and better screen resolution. i got rid of the Evo cause i do not have a desk job that I can charge the phone at will. I work at a huge Hospital and I'm on the go all the time. the only time i have to charge is doing lunch. My phone is the way people contact me there. May be I'll wait for HTC Sensation or Droid Bionic. The 3D phone is a little too much for me.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I was a 3GS user before the Evo. The 3GS had a lot of issues. I had to restart it at least once a week. I hardly every restart the Evo.

Bodar

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
*puts on flame suit*...IOS does have some good games though.

Seconded. PvZ, Dead Space, World of Goo, etc. Android just isn't on the same level, but it is slowly catching up. It's a trade-off I'm willing to make though. I love my EVO. It is precious to me. Precious...

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
All I know is, I'm constantly bothered by co-workers who can't figure out how to do stuff on their iPhones. Just last week, I spent about an hour teaching one how to upload pictures to Facebook. I don't have an iPhone, so I didn't think it would be a big deal since it's easy to do with Android. However, I had to go through a bit of a learning curve myself, and was very surprised at how much harder it was than Android. When I showed her the steps, she said "I have to go through that for every picture?!" She was not impressed, and has been generally unhappy with the iPhone since she bought it on someone's recommendation.

Anyway, that's just one story; I have many others. And yes, itunes is a bloated mess. It's a shame a smartphone has to rely on that crap in this day and age. To each his own though!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908