1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Navigating away from current call

OK, I can't believe I've owned my EVO for this long (and my wife even longer) and I don't know the answer to this question...

When on a phone call, with the contact information up and the End Call button visible if you hit the back arrow it takes you back to the list of contacts screen, but how in the world do you get back to the current call in order to end the call?

When looking at the phone if you try to swipe down as soon as you put your hand near the screen to swipe the proximity sensor recognizes this and turns the screen off (as it thinks you are putting the phone to your ear).

How do you get back to the current call screen to hang up the call?

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

One option (if I recall correctly, I can't check since I'm at work) is that you can just hit the phone button and it will take you back to the call in progress.

Additionally, if you're careful, you can manage to pull down the notification bar without it blanking the screen, you just have to stay away from the sensor that is in the top... left, i believe.

At the top left of the phone you will see a green phone slide it down or push on it to take you back to the phone call to end it.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by rcollins001 View Post
    At the top left of the phone you will see a green phone slide it down or push on it to take you back to the phone call to end it.
    Exactly. Your notification bar will show the active call and you can just pull it down and select the call to go back to the typical in-call screen.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by illwood View Post
    Exactly. Your notification bar will show the active call and you can just pull it down and select the call to go back to the typical in-call screen.
    OK, got this to work, but you have to be "sneaky". Just going up to swipe down activates the proximity sensor, you have to "sneak" your finger to swipe from the left side of the phone.

Sure wish there was an easier way. Pressing the "phone" icon on my phone takes you to the dialer, not the call in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    OK, got this to work, but you have to be "sneaky". Just going up to swipe down activates the proximity sensor, you have to "sneak" your finger to swipe from the left side of the phone.

Sure wish there was an easier way. Pressing the "phone" icon on my phone takes you to the dialer, not the call in progress.
    I have never had to be "sneaky" to do this. I just pull the notification bar down like usual and select the call.

I don't know why you are having trouble triggering the proximity sensor.

"You're holding it wrong." - S. Jobs

J/K
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I have never had to be "sneaky" to do this. I just pull the notification bar down like usual and select the call.

I don't know why you are having trouble triggering the proximity sensor.

"You're holding it wrong." - S. Jobs

J/K
    LOL, not holding it wrong ;-)

But here is part of it. I am using Go Launcher -- my wife is using stock Sense. On both our phones when a call is active, whether in the foreground or background the proximity sensor is turned on, and attempt to swipe is met by the screen turning off.

On Sense when you click the phone button it takes you immediately back to the call in progress. That is easy without setting off the proximity sensor as it is at the bottom.

With Go Launcher, click the phone icon takes you to the dialer with contacts and the number portion of the keypad visible -- not to the call in progress.

Curious that you say your proximity sensor is not active while out of the call in progress screen. That certainly makes sense, but neither of our phones do that.

Hmm, well, you have stumped me there. I know that my proximity sensor is working because I have tested it with a call. Oddly enough, even when I am in an active call screen, I can only trigger the proximity sensor by putting it up to my ear like I'm on the phone. If I put my hand over the majority of the screen, it won't trigger.

I am rooted and know that my method with the notification bar works without triggering the sensor. I wonder if it has a "sensitivity" setting that is configured with the different ROMs that I have been running. BTW, I run EViO 2 (modified Sense) and CM7 (ASOP w/ ADW launcher).

BTW, I'm glad you got a chuckle out of the Jobs quote. That was the intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    LOL, not holding it wrong ;-)

But here is part of it. I am using Go Launcher

I also use Go Launcher. I have my glide down function set to bring down notifications. I never have to get near the proximity sensor. Try it, you'll Like it.

From the Home screen; Menu / Preferences / Operation Settings / Glide Down Action - Set it to "Show Notification"

The glide down motion only has to be a slight flick downward so you can do it on the lowest point of real estate (above the launcher bar, of course).
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by FreudSlipped View Post
    I also use Go Launcher. I have my glide down function set to bring down notifications. I never have to get near the proximity sensor. Try it, you'll Like it.

From the Home screen; Menu / Preferences / Operation Settings / Glide Down Action - Set it to "Show Notification"

The glide down motion only has to be a slight flick downward so you can do it on the lowest point of real estate (above the launcher bar, of course).
    I agree that will work, but I'm still not sure why the OP has such a sensitive proximity sensor and I have no problem with mine.
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

DOH!! I have that set too but forgot all about it! I will use that from now on too (until I forget about it again anyway).

I agree that will work, but I'm still not sure why the OP has such a sensitive proximity sensor and I have no problem with mine.
    I was able to duplicate his experience. I'm left-hand dominant and moving my left forefinger toward the top of the screen set off the proximity sensor. (I wonder if it's another case of us lefties being picked on again. )
    Thanked by:

I was able to duplicate his experience. I'm left-hand dominant and moving my left forefinger toward the top of the screen set off the proximity sensor. (I wonder if it's another case of us lefties being picked on again. )
    I just tried that and I was able to trigger the proximity sensor when I went to the notification bar with my left hand.

It looks like the phone manufacturers are doing little things that are biased towards right hand dominant people.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I just tried that and I was able to trigger the proximity sensor when I went to the notification bar with my left hand.

It looks like the phone manufacturers are doing little things that are biased towards right hand dominant people.
    OK, time for a little confession here....

First, I am not left handed so i can't use that excuse.

Second, I have to admit that I am a recovering Pre user. On the Pre you could pull down two menus from the top: one by swiping on the top left corner, and one from the top right corner. I foolishly have gotten into the habit of swiping the notifications down from the top left corner of my EVO, not even thinking that you can swipe down from anywhere on the top.

Left dominant people make up approximately 10 percent of the population. Interestingly though, a higher than average number of world leaders (5 of the last 7 presidents, for instance) are left dominant.

Left dominant people Improvise, Adapt and Overcome! (Yeah, the Marines may have the corner on this motto but, I'll bet the first one to say it was a lefty shooting a righthanded rifle LOL )

Left dominant people Improvise, Adapt and Overcome! (Yeah, the Marines may have the corner on this motto but, I'll bet the first one to say it was a lefty shooting a righthanded rifle LOL )
    Haha, nice!