Crazy Battery

beerdini

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
I have a bland, unrooted EVO 4G which this past couple of weeks have been giving me some really weird battery issues.

First of all, I work in a basement which has a WiFi access point and a cell phone signal extender which works good 80% of the time. The first thing that I've noticed is that I'm getting a major battery drain through the day. With just the mobile and WiFi radios on, when I first got the phone I would have about 50% drain through the day, now I get to about 80% drain.

So as a resolution to that, I purchased a USB cable that I connect it to my computer for charging. Between this USB cable and a Sprint car charger I've noticed that sometimes my phone can be getting "very hot" compared to normal and that my battery usage widget either doesn't show increasing life or it refills very slow. I know this because on a couple of occasions I've completely powered down the phone and/or pulled the batter after powering it down and I've gone from a 30% battery life to a 70% battery life.

So what is the deal, is this common for EVO phones? Is it a dying battery? What else could it be? One extra note, I don't typically turn the phone off or restart it unless I'm having some trouble. Since I've gotten it I've only restarted it a handful of times before this past couple of weeks, when I've rebooted it almost daily. Thanks!

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not just with the EVO phones, but every other smartphones there is. "Nobody knows for sure what is killing the batteries so fast."

Anyone who finds a solid-proof way of making these batteries last way longer than they are now •> PLEASE LET ME KNOW. :(

? note *
What you can do to limit additional battery consumption is to make sure there isn't any corrupt application(s) installed on the device. Don't have too many applications running in the background. This isn't a guarantee that you'll see a better battery life, but it might help a little.

The bottom line is... Battery life suck on all devices... period.

Last edited:

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I installed a cache clear program a few weeks ago, which has since been uninstalled. It ate 60% of my battery in a 20 minute drive to work, and wasn't even running. Uninstalled, and problem gone. I only install one app at a time because of issues like that. I think you have a rogue app that works well on 99.9% of phones.

riceastwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Juice Defender works for me and I turned off the gps and bluethooth (when I don't need them) also turn off wifi when your not using it. Also turn automatic sync off I only have every 15 mins or so make it longer. My gmail comes through with no problems when I get an email and FB does too. I took the big clock widget off friendstream I took that widget off. Its a lot stuff that runs in the background and the close on their own so don't use task killer I have been hearing it causes more problems then anything. Juice Defender works well its and ultimate juice defender 1 of them you have to pay for around $7 and my battery last from 6:30am up to 1 or 2pm before i charge depending on how long I listen to my music while I'm working. Also with moderate talking and text. But if you have widgets up and running on your phone i suggest taking them off friendstream for one I know that drains the battery for sure. My phone is not rooted by the way.

P.S. Live wallpapers also drain your battery.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Again - Check what apps you downloaded just before the draining started. It happened to me on an Eris a while back and I didn't believe it until one of our engineers tracked my problem down for me. (I work for HP) After that, I only do apps one at a time, and have even gone to one app a day. Just because it worked on my last phone doesn't mean it will work on this phone. Just because it works on mine, doesn't mean it will work fine on yours...The more "permissions" an app requires, the higher the probability something will screw up in the process, especially when you have multiple apps trying to access the same file(s).

Last edited:

wmoor004

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
WOW! All that to get decent battery life! I just bought a HTC 4G and its battery is Wayyyyyy worse than my Droid X... Feature phones don't seem like a bad idea - after all my Xoom does everything else... Just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC