To Claim or not To Claim PLEASE READ

jcorcione

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I dropped my phone this morning getting into my car. It hit pretty hard upper left corner of the device. it actually struck the door sill panel the battery panel popped off and the batter fell out and the phone landed face first on the garage floor. I drive a 2010 camaro the car sits pretty low so it didn't have to far to fall. I have a zagg screen protector so no scratches on the screen nor did the screen crack or shatter (much to my surprise).

There is, however, a noticeable Chip on the housing in the Upper left corner above the HTC logo. This is surprising to me because I have heard many stories of the screen shattering falling on that part of the device.

My question is this. I have insurance on my phone. I am very anal about how my phone looks and operates and it having ANY scratches or nicks on it(nearly OCD):hee:. I have rooted the device, I have a great ROM i REALLY LIKE (kings unleashed rom Ultra Blakk R3).

Sooo.. Do i make the Claim?
Pro's:
Great ROM
Phone is FAST
Get a new or near new Phone (refurbished)
Phone may act funny do to the drop (later on)

Cons:
Backing up the Device (starting over)
Going through the Process of Rooting
Clearing the Phone back to Original Stock ROM
Spending the $100 Deductible (100 on bill)

I am sure I can think of more so this where i need your opinion folks.

Take my poll!

You can Also find this on my blog by clicking:

JCsPlace

Feel Free to go to my Blog as well

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, I think it would depend on if getting rid of the nick is worth $100 to you.

Personally at this point, I'd probably just hold off for a couple months and upgrade to a new phone like the EVO 3D or something. Just my two cents.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I take excellent care of my stuff too so I understand how that nick would bug you because it would drive me nuts! ;) Having said that, I am also a tightwad. Yeah, I know! I would be in quite a predicament. I guess if it were me and I was upgrading I'd wait and in the meantime I'd try a case (I use cases anyway) to see if that would cover it since you said the nick is above the htc logo.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
if you have TEP, have a service center fix it, if its on the back housing say there is something wrong with the vibrator function and they will replace it, if its on the front say something is wrong with the screen, either way a store should fix it at the most for 35 dollars instead of the 100 for a refurbished Asurion device

jcorcione

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
not that is a great deal I didn't figure they would still have parts I thought that part would only be available to phone technicians

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm very fussy myself when it comes to my stuff.

If you're not eligible for an upgrade at this time, and you can't get the EVO 3D - then •>> Get a replacement

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Only a service center will have the parts, but a service center should have the part. otherwise if you are a certain mileage away from a service center to where it would be difficult for you to visit one, Sprint Tech Support will send a replacement device (like Asurion but free of charge) to your house.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have nicks and scratches on my bezel because it slid off the top of a cop car (long story), and it hasn't effected the performance of my phone or anything like that. So if your worried about more than cosmetic issues, don't worry :p

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
if you have TEP, have a service center fix it, if its on the back housing say there is something wrong with the vibrator function and they will replace it, if its on the front say something is wrong with the screen, either way a store should fix it at the most for 35 dollars instead of the 100 for a refurbished Asurion device

I can tell you this, it would not get replaced by me. Dings, and scratches are cosmetic. If someone tells me the vib is out, and I take the evo apart, and clean it, and its working fine, you wont see a replacement. Any reputable tech will know when a customer is trying to pull a fast one. Your best bet is finding parts online, and doing it yourself. Its very easy working on the evo... Im not a fan of recon phones, as I have personally seen so many that were liquid damged, and or messed up in some shape or form. This is why I still have my original evo board, but luckily I have access to parts :)

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
3rd Party Service shops are probably more inclined to help if they can. Swapping it with a harvested part can be quick and earn the shop some quick cash. I'd do it if I had a good harvested part on hand.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i did the same thing with my phone. only my nick is in the upper right hand corner.

since then i've no longer had the notification drop down bar working. have to use the bottom notification button now.

i don't have $100 to spare. and not ambitious about returning the phone to stock form either. in hopes that a new glass can be installed and HOPEFULLY have drop down menu again.

if i'm going to spend the $100 i might as well wait for an upgrade. although i won't be looking forward to telenav navigation. i prefer the sprint software. and that's my taste.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
i did the same thing with my phone. only my nick is in the upper right hand corner.

since then i've no longer had the notification drop down bar working. have to use the bottom notification button now.

i don't have $100 to spare. and not ambitious about returning the phone to stock form either. in hopes that a new glass can be installed and HOPEFULLY have drop down menu again.

Sprint doesn't care if the phone is rooted. No reason not to swing by and get a quick screen swap.

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
3rd Party Service shops are probably more inclined to help if they can. Swapping it with a harvested part can be quick and earn the shop some quick cash. I'd do it if I had a good harvested part on hand.

It is a fairly easy job to do. I would do it for , if you live in FL near Winter Park. :)

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It's your $100. Just be aware that what you will get is a reconditioned phone, not a new one.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk