Such thing as too much charging of battery?

gman eb#AC

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I seem to be having a battery life issue. For example I took my phone off the charger at 7am this morning. It?s now 2:30pm and I?m down to 25%. All I have been doing is texting throughout the day. I?ve noticed this decrease in battery life over the past few weeks. I?ve restarted my phone, pulled the battery, and haven?t noticed much of a difference. I have to use a usb charger at work so I have battery life left for after. Can all this charging at home and then at work damage the battery?

I read through the battery thread before. I don?t have anything running or updating in the background. My phone is also unrooted. I do get a crappy signal at work but it?s never brought my battery life down this much. I?ve had my phone for almost a year now. Time for a new battery? Bigger battery? Thanks for any tips!

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I bought my EVO when it first came out in June 2010. My stock battery does not last as long as it used to. I've purchased backup batteries since then so that has helped. Batteries do wear down so backup batteries are probably a good idea.

Lithium ion batteries actually shouldn't be run down all the way. They do respond better with constant recharges.

Last edited:

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
OP,

The question is "how long was it fully charged BEFORE you took it off at 7am"??

The charger/system will begin draining power just like it's unplugged once it reaches 100%. So, if it was actually full at midnight and remained plugged in til 7, it actually discharged for 7 hours prior to you unplugging it.

Sucks, but it's how it keeps from burning crap up.

I make sure mine is dead-o-rama before I plug in at night. I generally unplug...use it for music while I work out...plug back in while I'm getting ready and get it as full as it can by the time I leave the house.

At work, I have it plugged in til it's green...then I unplug it and let 'er rip.

Try it...you'll like it.

bj

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
if your not in a good coverage area and your are texting all day, then that would explain the crap battery life. the two major battery drains are Phone Idle and Cell Standby (not including the other radio sets). So baiscally having your battery ping the tower more frequently since your texting will drain it quicker than it just sitting idle. I usually average a 14 hour a day but when im heavily texting i drain in about 7 hours

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I got my phone a few days after the launch day and I haven't notice a reduction in battery life. I get around 18 to 22 hrs. I let mine get down to 15% before I charge it. 90% of the time I let it charge over night.

Are you rooted? Might try wiping battery stats. That is one thing I do every so often. Also, have you looked under applications to see if anything is running that shouldn't be?

Edit: just read you were unrooted. So nevermind about wiping.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
my phone stays plugged all night. it's 100 percent in the morning when unplugged. i've never seen it drain and sometimes it will stay plugged in excess of 36+ hours. always 100%.

i have a bettery meter on the main screen that gives me percentage charge.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I also wonder if our devices need to be recalibrated from time to time.
My Inspire would drop % left rather rapidly but would still go for 15+ hours.

So I drained it down to where it kept shutting itself down, and then left it shut off and recharged it over night.

Now the % left stays higher longer and I get 18+ hours.

I drained it down to 2% last night, shut it down, and then again recharged over night. I'll post back how it goes.

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
The BatteryUniversity site is a good spot to pick up information on batteries. When dealing with Lithium-ion charging, they cover the positives and negatives of different charging strategies.

The most important thing they point out (IMHO): "Chargers use different methods for “ready” indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge." 2: "Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better." 3: "Li-ion should never be discharged too low, and there are several safeguards to prevent this from happening."

The entire site is fascinating.

Charging Lithium-ion – Battery University

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Do any of you use a taskkiller to save battery usage? I wonder if it helps, I've heard conflicting results..

Since the EVO has Froyo (Android 2.2) stock now, task killers do more harm than good. Froyo is better at backgrounding tasks as necessary and a Task Killer can give you worse battery life by having it kill an app that was intended to stay running in the background (app will keep restarting and getting killed) and/or is can cause your phone to act buggy and restart unexpectedly.

If you want an app that stretches your battery life, try Juice Defender.

It saves battery by allowing you to configure how long WiFi, 3G, and 4G antennas are on and syncing. You can save a fair amount of battery by only letting them stay on for a few minutes every hour (when in Standby).

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Batteries have a lifespan of a limited # of depletion cycles and clock time. The last time I looked it was a few hundred cycles. The age is several years. So a battery sitting on the shelf for a couple of years is not going to work as well as one made yesterday.

leigh

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Since the EVO has Froyo (Android 2.2) stock now, task killers do more harm than good. Froyo is better at backgrounding tasks as necessary and a Task Killer can give you worse battery life by having it kill an app that was intended to stay running in the background (app will keep restarting and getting killed) and/or is can cause your phone to act buggy and restart unexpectedly.

If you want an app that stretches your battery life, try Juice Defender.

It saves battery by allowing you to configure how long WiFi, 3G, and 4G antennas are on and syncing. You can save a fair amount of battery by only letting them stay on for a few minutes every hour (when in Standby).

Thank you. Someone else installed it on my Evo, so I'm unsure how to remove it. Is it a matter of clicking on uninstall?

gman eb#AC

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
OP,

The question is "how long was it fully charged BEFORE you took it off at 7am"??

The charger/system will begin draining power just like it's unplugged once it reaches 100%. So, if it was actually full at midnight and remained plugged in til 7, it actually discharged for 7 hours prior to you unplugging it.

Sucks, but it's how it keeps from burning crap up.

I make sure mine is dead-o-rama before I plug in at night. I generally unplug...use it for music while I work out...plug back in while I'm getting ready and get it as full as it can by the time I leave the house.

At work, I have it plugged in til it's green...then I unplug it and let 'er rip.

Try it...you'll like it.

bj

When I take my phone of the charger in the morning it's at 96-98%. I know that once the battery is full it stops taking a charge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay