Important: HTC EVO 4G microUSB cable could damage your computer, cause fire!

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if anyone has heard about this problem. There is a report from XDA and Good and Evo websites reporting a problem with the stock EVO 4G microUSB cables that come with the EVO. The reports states: "the cable was engineered improperly using a cheap panel mount/board mount hybrid connector instead of a proper microUSB cable mount-style connector." Because of this, it could cause a fire and of course the cable would be ruined, and possibly, your computer, and house, etc.

I have had my EVO since day one, and never had this type of problem. This is the first I have heard about it. Anyone else having this problem with the cable?

Check out both articles:

Important safety message: Stop using the stock micro-usb cable! - xda-developers

HTC EVO 4G microUSB cable could damage your computer, burn your house down

Here is a picture of the cable with the problem.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Sounds just like a miss used wire. I haven't had a problem or have heard of anyone having a problem. If it was a major problem it would be all over years ago.

Remember ppl all electronical devices wear out over time esp if mishandle. Wires wear out, this is what happened. It's not a mistake on HTC.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
What I read is that the HTC microUSB cord was plugged into the USB port on a computer for a long period of time, and never unplugged. It heated up the cord and because of the poor quality (shield, wires inside, etc) caused the meltdown inside the cord. They say the cord was made cheaply and HTC cut corners. I think most of us really never leave the cord plugged into the computer all the time, like these people did. For me, I leave my HTC microUSB cord plugged in to the wall socket all the time, and never have had a problem. It doesn't get warm at all.

So, if someone wants to test, leaving the cord connected to the computer for at least 24 hours, maybe we will know if this is just an isolated event or user error or they were unlucky to get a bad batch of cords.

Last edited:

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
a variant of one of my fav com's one liners popped into mind with this thread....

I plugged in my Evo and tried to operate it using the 'telekinesis' app, but nothing happened. The rest of the house is gone...

foski

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
my evo 4g caught fire today. I was driving down the road with the phone plugged in the charger. The phone was in my lap. All of a sudden someone from the back seat yelled, "HEY, Your seats on fire." I looked down and saw the thin line of blue smoke coming from the bottom of my evo where the charger went into. I grabbed the phone and as soon as i did it popped the cigarette lighter fuse. The usb port is now melted into the back cover and pulled out about 1/4"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar