06-03-2011 04:16 PM
- I dropped my Evo about 2-3 months ago, and i finally want to replace it. No Sprint store will replace it for me although i have insurance. But what they will do is replace the screen if I buy the replacement screen for free.
One store told me that I will need a different screen depending on my hardware version. I have Hardware version 0004. Does anyone know what screen I need?
What about this: US Sprint HTC Evo 4G Touch Screen Digitizer replacement | eBay
Thanks to anyone that helps me04-24-2011 09:02 AM
- 04-24-2011 12:08 PM
- Replacing the digitizer is a pain in the *** on the EVO.
Replacing the entire LCD/digitizer/front housing is quite easy.
Wouldn't surprise me if a Sprint store refused to replace the digitizer even if you bring a new one in. Liability. Hopefully you can find one that will. Or, spend a bit more and order the whole LCD unit for ~$75 and do the easy swap yourself.04-24-2011 09:20 PM
- i walked in and asked the store if they did repairs. at one point and time there was only one repair facility. now i guess they ditched the repair center and some stores do fix.
then i asked for a screen replacement and they told me no. after i told them i had no drop down notification then it was ok. we'll fix that for you.
whatever software they used though. my phone wouldn't call. wouldn't connect to the internet and the clock wasn't reading right.
why do they even both restoring your phone to stock. they know damn well it's going to be the first thing i do when i get home. IS ROOT. AFTER, i wiped the software to something that DOES work.04-24-2011 09:51 PM
But yea I've called multiple Sprint stores north of Atlanta. And they're all willing to replace it but if and only if I buy my own screen.
I really want to buy a screen tonight, I just want to make sure I get the right one... I would ask my Sprint store, but they have the worst attitude ever.04-24-2011 11:10 PM
The Sprint store i can't stand is the one on Windward in Alpharetta.
I've also called the ones in Cumming, Roswell, and Sandy Springs. But since I couldn't find an answer on which screen to buy, I've just given up with replacing the screen.05-25-2011 04:40 PM
- Get a torx 5 (pretty sure that's the size) screw driver. Flip phone over with charging port on bottom. Remove 2 bottom screws and the one half way up on the left. Slide your fingernail into the seam near the corner and come up. You'll hear a snap. Back to the corner and across the bottom. Again, another snap or two.
At this point, you can lift the back off just enough to see if it's the fat or skinny cable. Snap back together and order what you need.
There is nothing difficult about replacing the LCD. In most cases, you'll be buying the entire front piece with digitizer. It's just 3 cables. Lift up the little gate, slide the ribbon in, and close the gate. Possibly the easiest phone Sprint has to take apart and replace the screen.
Or, find a sprint preferred retailer with a service center. Let the tech know you'll be happy to give great survey ratings if he'd help you out with identifying the lcd needed. "You can ring it up as a hard reset and get a guaranteed great survey."05-25-2011 09:54 PM
- depends on what store you go to... some will do it and say they broke it while replacing it, then they won't get in trouble.
they have a policy in-house they have to abide by, no cracks longer than 1inch.
its just as painful for the repair center employee's when they know they "could" fix something they just aren't allowed to....05-31-2011 09:00 AM
- I cracked my digitizer so I got one from eBay for $22. When I tried to replace it, it was so stuck on, that I ended up breaking the LCD. Ordered that from eBay for $33. Just got it all back together and works fine. So $55 total (both were free shipping) for a full screen replacement vs $100 Asurion deductable. Though if it ever happens again, I think I'll visit a Sprint Repair store first.05-31-2011 02:44 PM
- What I don't get is why any of you are paying for insurance that you clearly refuse to use... Why not just go Asurion's website and pay the $100. You'll have next day shipping and be done with it all. I did that and what do you know? No refurbished phone here, a brand new phone. My hassle was limited to the one day, with a cracked screen. Granted though, my screen was insanely cracked - with a piece of the glass screen actually missing.05-31-2011 04:33 PM
- On Saturday i just received my replacement screen from Ebay and i ended breaking the ribbon for the replacement screen so today i just went to sprint a sprint repair shop and told them that the screen wasn't working and they didn't ask any questions they just told me to be back in a hour. When i got back they just told me the ribbon was broken (which i new lol) and they replaced it.05-31-2011 04:54 PM
- What I don't get is why any of you are paying for insurance that you clearly refuse to use... Why not just go Asurion's website and pay the $100. You'll have next day shipping and be done with it all. I did that and what do you know? No refurbished phone here, a brand new phone. My hassle was limited to the one day, with a cracked screen. Granted though, my screen was insanely cracked - with a piece of the glass screen actually missing.
Plus Im rooted and dont want to go through any hassle of unrooting/rerooting when its only the screen that needs to be fixed.06-03-2011 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD