Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

Default Evo Replacement Screens

I dropped my Evo about 2-3 months ago, and i finally want to replace it. No Sprint store will replace it for me although i have insurance. But what they will do is replace the screen if I buy the replacement screen for free.

My Evo:

One store told me that I will need a different screen depending on my hardware version. I have Hardware version 0004. Does anyone know what screen I need?

What about this: US Sprint HTC Evo 4G Touch Screen Digitizer replacement | eBay

Thanks to anyone that helps me

ROM
    VaelPak 3.2RC1

go to a sprint repair center and they will do it for free if you have ins. and if not it will cost you 35 dollars without insurance
    GOT ROM?
    EVO rocking vaelpak
    Rom...VaelPak GB preview .2.1 1190 Linpack 41.22
    VaelPak FTW

KID
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    go to a sprint repair center and they will do it for free if you have ins. and if not it will cost you 35 dollars without insurance
    I've called them. And they just tell me I have to go through insurance. Plus buying a $25 screen is cheaper than them repairing it for $35.

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

Check this out if you want to try and do it yourself:

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Check this out if you want to try and do it yourself:

I rather just give Sprint the screen and let them fix it for free. I'm almost positive I'll make a mistake. lol.

I just want to make sure I buy the right screen...

I ruined my phone replacing the screen. The Adhesive was like crazy glue, and and I dented and scratched up the bezel trying to remove it...Its just like watching home improvement stuff on HGTV, It always looks so easy, until you try to do it yourself.

they won't replace your screen unless you buy your own. did i read that right? cuz that's ridiculous.

if you have root. make sure you back everything up. cuz they'll restore it to stock for you. even though you tell them NO.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    This ended in February.

Replacing the digitizer is a pain in the *** on the EVO.

Replacing the entire LCD/digitizer/front housing is quite easy.

Wouldn't surprise me if a Sprint store refused to replace the digitizer even if you bring a new one in. Liability. Hopefully you can find one that will. Or, spend a bit more and order the whole LCD unit for ~$75 and do the easy swap yourself.

i walked in and asked the store if they did repairs. at one point and time there was only one repair facility. now i guess they ditched the repair center and some stores do fix.

then i asked for a screen replacement and they told me no. after i told them i had no drop down notification then it was ok. we'll fix that for you.

whatever software they used though. my phone wouldn't call. wouldn't connect to the internet and the clock wasn't reading right.

why do they even both restoring your phone to stock. they know damn well it's going to be the first thing i do when i get home. IS ROOT. AFTER, i wiped the software to something that DOES work.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

Quote Originally Posted by snowwy66 View Post
    they won't replace your screen unless you buy your own. did i read that right? cuz that's ridiculous.

if you have root. make sure you back everything up. cuz they'll restore it to stock for you. even though you tell them NO.
    Yea i'm going to do a nandroid then unroot.

But yea I've called multiple Sprint stores north of Atlanta. And they're all willing to replace it but if and only if I buy my own screen.

I really want to buy a screen tonight, I just want to make sure I get the right one... I would ask my Sprint store, but they have the worst attitude ever.

i didn't have to buy a screen. they just replaced it. but it looks like it was the whole bezel. cuz the top of phone is all shiny again with no scratches.

which sprint store?
    1%er

If you have phone insurance just take tell them to fix or replace phone.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

Quote Originally Posted by bocadave View Post
    which sprint store?
    Me?

The Sprint store i can't stand is the one on Windward in Alpharetta.

I've also called the ones in Cumming, Roswell, and Sandy Springs. But since I couldn't find an answer on which screen to buy, I've just given up with replacing the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by paradroid View Post
    If you have phone insurance just take tell them to fix or replace phone.
    If it were that easy, I've would've gotten it replaced since January. Ironically, I dropped it in front of a Sprint store.

Get a torx 5 (pretty sure that's the size) screw driver. Flip phone over with charging port on bottom. Remove 2 bottom screws and the one half way up on the left. Slide your fingernail into the seam near the corner and come up. You'll hear a snap. Back to the corner and across the bottom. Again, another snap or two.

At this point, you can lift the back off just enough to see if it's the fat or skinny cable. Snap back together and order what you need.

There is nothing difficult about replacing the LCD. In most cases, you'll be buying the entire front piece with digitizer. It's just 3 cables. Lift up the little gate, slide the ribbon in, and close the gate. Possibly the easiest phone Sprint has to take apart and replace the screen.

Or, find a sprint preferred retailer with a service center. Let the tech know you'll be happy to give great survey ratings if he'd help you out with identifying the lcd needed. "You can ring it up as a hard reset and get a guaranteed great survey."
    Last edited by tndank; 05-25-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts

depends on what store you go to... some will do it and say they broke it while replacing it, then they won't get in trouble.

they have a policy in-house they have to abide by, no cracks longer than 1inch.

its just as painful for the repair center employee's when they know they "could" fix something they just aren't allowed to....

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts
    ROM
    frEVO LTE

I cracked my digitizer so I got one from eBay for $22. When I tried to replace it, it was so stuck on, that I ended up breaking the LCD. Ordered that from eBay for $33. Just got it all back together and works fine. So $55 total (both were free shipping) for a full screen replacement vs $100 Asurion deductable. Though if it ever happens again, I think I'll visit a Sprint Repair store first.
    Always pimpin'
    PunnyShirts.com

Global Posts
    405 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

What I don't get is why any of you are paying for insurance that you clearly refuse to use... Why not just go Asurion's website and pay the $100. You'll have next day shipping and be done with it all. I did that and what do you know? No refurbished phone here, a brand new phone. My hassle was limited to the one day, with a cracked screen. Granted though, my screen was insanely cracked - with a piece of the glass screen actually missing.
    Just a tweeting away... or doing art. Also, using my Dropbox to add files to my HTC Evo and Motorola Xoom!

ROM
    CM7

On Saturday i just received my replacement screen from Ebay and i ended breaking the ribbon for the replacement screen so today i just went to sprint a sprint repair shop and told them that the screen wasn't working and they didn't ask any questions they just told me to be back in a hour. When i got back they just told me the ribbon was broken (which i new lol) and they replaced it.
    CLICK THAT "THANKS" BUTTON

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    ROM
    PA 3.99

Quote Originally Posted by reagan247 View Post
    What I don't get is why any of you are paying for insurance that you clearly refuse to use... Why not just go Asurion's website and pay the $100. You'll have next day shipping and be done with it all. I did that and what do you know? No refurbished phone here, a brand new phone. My hassle was limited to the one day, with a cracked screen. Granted though, my screen was insanely cracked - with a piece of the glass screen actually missing.
    Why? Because $35 dollars is a lot cheaper than $100. Why? Because the phone works perfectly minus of course the broken glass. Why risk getting a refurb POS when you like your phone? Sprint needs to get their head out of the butts and offer to replace these. I called the Clive, IA store which has a repair center and they told me that no store would just replace the screen for me. I had no alternative but to use insurance.

Plus Im rooted and dont want to go through any hassle of unrooting/rerooting when its only the screen that needs to be fixed.