Evo will not prompt a usb connection alert

ludesleep

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
try reloading the rom. maybe it's a glitch.

it would't be the first time people have had problems solved with a wipe and reload.

and if your rooted. that's the first thing sprint is going to do is restore phone to stock. so might as well save yourself the hassle and try it at home first.

Can the wipe and reload be done without the phone being connected to the pc? Remember, this phone does not connect as disk drive so I cant move things from pc to phone.

btw, no my phone is not rooted

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Can the wipe and reload be done without the phone being connected to the pc? Remember, this phone does not connect as disk drive so I cant move things from pc to phone.

The wipe is specific to being rooted and loading a ROM. Assuming you have tried the formatting of the card and are still unsuccessful, you may want to consider a "Factory data reset." This will automatically wipe the phone of software and settings and will be the same as when you first opened the box. It will however, not touch the contents of your SD card, so you won't loose any pictures, media, etc. . . You will lose all of your downloaded apps and will have to reinstall them. If you have paid apps, don't worry, they are tied to your Google account, so you won't have to download them twice. You may want to install AppBrain to help make the re-installing process easier.

If your contacts are all saved as Google contacts, you should be set, but it doesn't hurt to go into the People app and do an "Export to SD card."

If you decide to try the "Factory data reset" you can find it here:

Settings > SD & phone storage > Factory data reset

ludesleep

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The wipe is specific to being rooted and loading a ROM. Assuming you have tried the formatting of the card and are still unsuccessful, you may want to consider a "Factory data reset." This will automatically wipe the phone of software and settings and will be the same as when you first opened the box. It will however, not touch the contents of your SD card, so you won't loose any pictures, media, etc. . . You will lose all of your downloaded apps and will have to reinstall them. If you have paid apps, don't worry, they are tied to your Google account, so you won't have to download them twice. You may want to install AppBrain to help make the re-installing process easier.

If your contacts are all saved as Google contacts, you should be set, but it doesn't hurt to go into the People app and do an "Export to SD card."

If you decide to try the "Factory data reset" you can find it here:

Settings > SD & phone storage > Factory data reset

Well, I just finished the factory reset and it still does nothing. So I guess it's best to assume that it's hardware issue right?

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

no. the phone has to be connected to the pc. but that don't matter. you download the RUU 3.7 software. it doesn't ask you for sd card. you don't even need the htc sync software installed.

the RUU will install. so give it a try.

doing a factory reset only resets the phone. it doesn't wipe and reinstall the software. which is what you need to try.

if you look at the roms and hacks section. there is a thread to unrooting and restoring phone to stock. that will have a link for downloading the stock software

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
no. the phone has to be connected to the pc. but that don't matter. you download the RUU 3.7 software. it doesn't ask you for sd card. you don't even need the htc sync software installed.

the RUU will install. so give it a try.

doing a factory reset only resets the phone. it doesn't wipe and reinstall the software. which is what you need to try.

if you look at the roms and hacks section. there is a thread to unrooting and restoring phone to stock. that will have a link for downloading the stock software

I don't think you need to get that fancy. There should be a PC36IMG.zip file in the root of the SD card with the stock OS on it. Booting into HBoot should allow the OP to re-install their phone.

From power off state, press and hold the Power button + Vol Down until you get the screen with the 3 androids skateboarding. When it asks if you want to update (re-install the OS) answer yes with the appropriate button.

mxmarcus

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Change your USB cable. My friends and I are now using LG cables. HTC cables are some time defective

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G on Sprint!

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
he said his phone wasn't rooted. the pc36img. won't do him any good.

i plug my phone into pc. execute the ruu software. pc does everything for me.
it's faster, and it's easier. even grandma can do it.

then i execute unrevoked.

ALL done by the pc.

for those that aren't rooted. or tech savy. it's the best way to go.

no messing with the sd card. or having to go through the motions of delvik wipe or any of that stuff.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
he said his phone wasn't rooted. the pc36img. won't do him any good.

i plug my phone into pc. execute the ruu software. pc does everything for me.
it's faster, and it's easier. even grandma can do it.

then i execute unrevoked.

ALL done by the pc.

for those that aren't rooted. or tech savy. it's the best way to go.

no messing with the sd card. or having to go through the motions of delvik wipe or any of that stuff.

The file PC36IMG.zip is where HTC stores the stock "update" for the phone. Anytime you do an OTA update, it downloads to the file PC36IMG.zip on the root of the SD card and then goes through the updating.

Since the OP is having trouble connecting the computer to the phone via USB I thought it would be good to give them an option other than one that requires a USB connection to the computer.

Even a stock EVO will re-flash the stock software using my method above.

BTW, the reason why a lot of ways to flash things when rooting (like a custom recovery) has you rename a zip file to PC36IMG.zip is because the phone is set to identify and flash a file with the name PC36IMG.zip.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
all the phones i've looked at won't go into bootloader.
turn phone off. hold vol down button. press power button. phone boots up. there is no bootloader.

mine is the only one that goes into bootloader. mine is also the only one that is rooted.

try the ruu and see what happens. before knocking it down and saying it won't work.
it DOESN'T go through the recognizition stage. it doesn't load on the sd card. it doesn't make you reboot into something you may not have.

execute the software. it tells y ou to plug the phone into pc. you plug phone into pc. and away it goes. THERE IS NO DISK DRIVE that pops up.

i've done the procedure a few times. i know what i'm talking about.

here's the link to ALL the stock roms. download 3.7.
http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Supersonic/

his phone isn't recognizing disk drive mode. that doesn't mean the computer won't recognize the phone. PERIOD.
i had the problem once. and it worked for me. if it don't work for him. then yeah he has a usb port issue or a bad cable.

Last edited:

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
all the phones i've looked at won't go into bootloader.
turn phone off. hold vol down button. press power button. phone boots up. there is no bootloader.

mine is the only one that goes into bootloader. mine is also the only one that is rooted.

Um, according to my information (including one of the AC advisors), you can get into Fastboot (HBoot) through my method on a non-rooted phone.

Step 1: Power off phone
Step 2: Press and hold Power + Vol Down until you get the screen with 3 skateboarding androids.

Now you are in Fastboot/HBoot.

Personally, I like when there are options that don't require a connection to a computer because it removes problems with driver issues, USB connections, and other problems that can require troubleshooting.

ludesleep

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for everyones help, I tried everything mentioned in this post and nothing helped. I ended up taking it up to best buy and they had to send it off for repairs. I'm leaving right after I post this to pick up my Evo. I'll update what the problem was when I get back.

Again, thanks to everyone, you all were very helpful!

fwv3232

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Most likely you have the box 'Don't ask again' checked when you chose the default connect to pc choice. Just restart your phone, make sure USB debugging is enabled and then the USB symbol should reappear....if not, it is a hardware issue most likely with the usb port and the script written into the defualt location for connect to pc options....take it back to the store.

ludesleep

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
It's still broke! :mad:

So, when I went up there, I was fortunate enough to be helped by a girl in training. Well, the guy training her is walking her through the steps to set my phone back up and is rushing her to give the phone back to me. She even asked the guy "We should hook up his phone before we give it back to him right to check that it's fixed?" he says "O uh yeah". He even forgot(5mins later) to check it so I had to remind him. He hooked it up to his little program box and I guess just acted like he tested it and said it was good. FML dude... Such crappy service and I fork out the $10 Black Tie Protection plan too..just bs..considering calling corporate.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I'm late...Was reading it to see if it was the same issue mine had. One other poster said it, but you haven't tried it apparently. CHANGE THE CORD. Mine had a broken strand or something and it was doing the same thing. I'm using Casio/Verizon cord and it works like new.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i'm telling you man. download teh software link i posted. plug the phone into pc and do a wipe and restore.

if that dno't fix your problem or even make an attempt to fix the problem. then your phone is BROKE.

it worked for me.

don't ask questions. and listen to everyone else tell you to use the sdcard.

JUST DO IT MAN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech