ringtone and notifications problem.

MikeModular281

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, pardon me if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it after a basic search. The other day I began downloading ringtones and notifications alert tones from free-ringtones.cc. Everything was fine at first, but suddenly the prompt to choose between standard tones and custom tones from the music app in the phone settings menu stopped asking me. Basically the phone now only allows me to choose standard tones. This really isn't a big issue since I can directly set my ringtones from the music app but what is an issue is that despite my best efforts I cannot change the notifications tone to a custom tone (only standard tones). Can anyone help me? Lastly, is there a way to separate the text message sounds from all other notifications sounds?
P.S. please let me know if you understand what I am asking, I tend to over complicate simple scenarios.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Ah, I think what happened is that you may have inadvertently checked the box that says something like "Perform this action from now on."

I would suggest going into:

Menu > Settings > Application settings > Manage applications > All (tab) > Android System

Then the bottom button should allow you to "Clear defaults."

That should force your phone to prompt you for what app you want to use for picking the sounds.

Also, I see that you're fairly new here. Welcome to AC and I like your username.

I have a 32V mod motor in one of my vehicles ;)

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Android by default looks for ringtones on very specific directories, so the easiest solution for me was to relocate all my added tones to these special folders and be able to select whatever I wanted from any system or program menu.

The directory tree goes like this:

sdcard > media > audio

Inside the audio folder, you can have an alarms folder, a notifications folder (for SMS/email) and ringtones folder (phone).

Here is how you can do it:

1. If you don't have one, get a file manager utility from the Market - I use Astro. You can also do this by connecting your Evo the computer via USB cable, selecting the Evo as mass storage and using your desktop file manager to make all this changes.

2. On the SD card root directory, create a folder named media, inside it create another folder named audio.

3. Inside the audio folder, create three additional folders named alarms, notifications and ringtones.

4. Move all your custom phone ringtone to the media/audio/ringtones folder.

5. Move all your custom SMS and email sounds to the media/audio/notifications folder.

6. Move all your custom alarm sounds to the media/audio/alarms folder.

Once done, you should see all your custom sounds listed along side the systems' on the settings menu of the phone and also on any other program that allows custom sound selection. This should make things easier.

Remember to relocate any new sounds you get in the future to the appropriate folder.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol