"No Signal" Prolly cause I threw it against the wall

deegee

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I have a problem and was seeing if I could get any insight on if its possible to fix my EVO...

Yesturday I threw the phone at my wall out of RAGE :mad: , as you probably could imagine the battery and trap door flew off in different directions.

After i was able to compose myself i put my phone back together and to my surprise it started up without any issues. It loaded into the desktop screen and appeared to be fine until I noticed that all my bars were completely greyed out (like i have no signal). The bars are their except they are just unable to get a signal and appear to have an 'X' and whenever i unlock my phone it states that no service was found.

I'm unable to text/call, i Am able for some reason able to get on the internet with ONLY the 4G.

Is their any resolution to possibly see if i can "reset" this? Or is the phone dead...

Thanks in advance.

**UPDATE**

I guess this is the "No Signal" icon indicated by our usermanual... maybe I can hard reset it?

Last edited:

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like i need a new phone, is their anyway I can verify this by troubleshooting anything? Whats the manufacture warranty on these phones?

Well, the warranty doesn't cover throwing it against the wall.

But you can take it to a Sprint store and see what's wrong. If it it's something they can fix easily they might just do it for you, but if you busted a chip or something, you're probably out of luck.

deegee

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, the warranty doesn't cover throwing it against the wall.

But you can take it to a Sprint store and see what's wrong. If it it's something they can fix easily they might just do it for you, but if you busted a chip or something, you're probably out of luck.

Most likely i busted some internals, although the outside of the phone appears to be unscaved perhaps I can bring it in and see what they can do for me.. damn my luck!

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like i need a new phone, is their anyway I can verify this by troubleshooting anything? Whats the manufacture warranty on these phones?

There probably isn't much more to troubleshoot. You could try going into:

Menu > Settings > SD card & storage > Factory data reset

That would clear your phone's memory and be a reasonable test, but I would say that it is unlikely that you could recovery from the wall-hit that easily.

The manufacturer's warranty is 1 year, but I don't know if that will be much use. Also, do you have TEP (insurance) through Sprint? You could get a new phone for $100.

You could be dishonest and go to a Sprint Service Center and say "my phone doesn't work" and they may replace it for free if you have TEP or for $35 if you don't, but I don't condone this. False claims are what makes insurance more expensive and harder to use for the rest of us.

deegee

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
There probably isn't much more to troubleshoot. You could try going into:

Menu > Settings > SD card & storage > Factory data reset

That would clear your phone's memory and be a reasonable test, but I would say that it is unlikely that you could recovery from the wall-hit that easily.

The manufacturer's warranty is 1 year, but I don't know if that will be much use. Also, do you have TEP (insurance) through Sprint? You could get a new phone for $100.

You could be dishonest and go to a Sprint Service Center and say "my phone doesn't work" and they may replace it for free if you have TEP or for $35 if you don't, but I don't condone this. False claims are what makes insurance more expensive and harder to use for the rest of us.

Is their a way built into my phone to back up the pictures/contacts/apps? Esp my paid for apps.

I'll be definitly willing to try this, also i don't have Insurance on the phone so I'm willing to do a factory restore.

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Is their a way built into my phone to back up the pictures/contacts/apps? Esp my paid for apps.

I'll be definitly willing to try this, also i don't have Insurance on the phone so I'm willing to do a factory restore.

Your pics are defaulted to your card, so they will be there. Your Calendar and Contacts should be backed up to the cloud. The Market will remember your paid apps.

I would suggest putting the phone down easy, and go out and kick a hole in your car door, that way you won't have a hassle with a broken, uninsured phone......

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I have a problem and was seeing if I could get any insight on if its possible to fix my EVO...

Yesturday I threw the phone at my wall out of RAGE :mad: , as you probably could imagine the battery and trap door flew off in different directions.

Well the real problem isn't the phone. LOL

Meditation? Yoga? Jogging? An extra- rugged case? Play Angry Birds instead??? :)

deegee

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well it appears I'll definitly need to think twice before raging out on my phone.

I'm now in the market to buy a new phone, i've always liked the SAMSUNG EPIC but i'm not sure what to go with next, of course Android OS. Any thoughts ideas or opinions all appreciated.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Well it appears I'll definitly need to think twice before raging out on my phone.

I'm now in the market to buy a new phone, i've always liked the SAMSUNG EPIC but i'm not sure what to go with next, of course Android OS. Any thoughts ideas or opinions all appreciated.

EVO 3D - if you can find a crappy phone to use in the meantime. Otherwise, I'd really get another EVO... I'm not a big fan of the lack of commitment Samsung/Sprint seem to have to the Epic 4G.

...As a matter of fact, I have a Hero that I'll sell you pretty cheap. PM me if interested.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Test this for me.
Try WiFi. See if it sees anything.
Test 4G and Bluetooth.

The EVo has several contacts on the board going to the back housing where the antenna terminals are. These in some cases are like stickers that adhere to the back of the housing and internally connect to the board. If one of these tracks has broken contact it will essentially have no antenna.
By testing the other wireless features you can eliminate a full radio meltdown and more of an antenna issue. Yes it does have seperate RF parts to it for TX and RX of each antenna, BT, CDMA, WiMAx, WiFi but at least you can see if the phone in genearl is getting any signal or NONE.
Perhaps theres a small gap between the contacts for the antenna from the housing partially seperating. It wuld not take much room at all for this to happen.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
there is defintely some board level damage, the battery probably compressed against the board when hit the wall. there isnt anything except a paper thin piece of plastic separating the battery from the board. Insurance or buying a new phone is about the only options... Next time, get an OtterBox Defender case

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma